collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Southampton 2-0 Utterly gash Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 27323 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Southampton 2-0 Utterly gash Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 23, 2020, 12:14:05 PM »
It Terry has responsibility over the defence training how come he is still there, yes we played better against Spurs but they could and should have scored six.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #241 on: February 23, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »
Within the first minute there was indecision in our defence from Konsa letting the ball bounce and not dealing with it. That set the tone for the rest of the match. A car crash of a performance from the whole team. Surely to god Terry can coach that back three to just get rid for the first 5 or ten minutes to allow us to settle. Saints should have been 3 up in 15 mins. Absolute shambles. I can't take one positive from yesterday.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2020, 12:29:06 PM »
In over half of our league games this season (14/27) teams have had 20+ shots on our goal.

How is that sustainable, why the fuck are we doing nothing about it? Southampton broke through us at will yesterday and this has been a common theme throughout the season. We have tried various formations with the same results, this has to be a training ground issue.

Yesterday was very poor but in terms of being defensively poor this has been the same all season.It's never been addressed , yes we know there have been individual errors but if your conceding so many chances they eventually there will be errors under pressure.

Players and recruitment by Suso can be questioned certainly , but Smith's teams being poor at defending is an issue he had at Brentford

Offline Taylor

« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »
In over half of our league games this season (14/27) teams have had 20+ shots on our goal.

How is that sustainable, why the fuck are we doing nothing about it? Southampton broke through us at will yesterday and this has been a common theme throughout the season. We have tried various formations with the same results, this has to be a training ground issue.

Yesterday was very poor but in terms of being defensively poor this has been the same all season.It's never been addressed , yes we know there have been individual errors but if your conceding so many chances they eventually there will be errors under pressure.

Players and recruitment by Suso can be questioned certainly , but Smith's teams being poor at defending is an issue he had at Brentford

Not when they played Villa.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2020, 01:25:50 PM »

Last game we played against them if I recall they were leading 2-1 and conceded very late to a Kodjia header to leave with a draw.

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2020, 02:08:08 PM »
Within the first minute there was indecision in our defence from Konsa letting the ball bounce and not dealing with it. That set the tone for the rest of the match. A car crash of a performance from the whole team. Surely to god Terry can coach that back three to just get rid for the first 5 or ten minutes to allow us to settle. Saints should have been 3 up in 15 mins. Absolute shambles. I can't take one positive from yesterday.

Totally agree about poor decision making and for me Konsa is often guilty. He should have been able to stop the cross for the first goal but seemed asleep. The defence are not only hindered by individual mistakes but a lack of communication is also creeping in (keystone cops incidents between Mings and Reina, for example). Surely these things can be sorted out on the training ground?

Offline geolex

« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2020, 02:37:33 PM »

Last game we played against them if I recall they were leading 2-1 and conceded very late to a Kodjia header to leave with a draw.
last time we played them we lost 1-0

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2020, 03:08:49 PM »
From Fred Guilbert's Instagram:

"Sad about my sh** performance ! Sad about the final result... :( Work work work work (praying emoji)"

Fair play to him, at least.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2020, 04:05:46 PM »
I dont buy that at all, if we go down then we'll lose Jack without a doubt but we'll keep anybody else that we choose too.

So if we have the likes of Mings and others wanting Premiership football, demanding to be let go, we should keep them no matter what.

Our owners have already shown that they wont be fucked about in the transfer market, theres a massive inferiority complex amongst a big section of our support.

Then our owners are going to have a very unhappy ship, nothing worse than players showing discontent, I would be amazed if Premiership clubs come in for our better players and those player's want away because Villa are being relegated, they are told to stay. They will be sold, at the right price.

Who is going to show discontent if we go? Theres only really Luiz that I believe has the attitude push for a move.

When Fulham went down who played there face for a move? Off the top of my head they sold Seesegnon but kept the likes of Cairney and Mitriovc.

But all our players are shit. So why are we worried about losing any of them?

Offline avfc456

« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2020, 04:47:15 PM »
Not sure if it has been covered but what was going on with Hourihaine and the fan at the end? I was queueing to get out and saw some fan with curly hair shouting and then Hourihaine came over to him, then there seemed to be a scuffle by where that fan was.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2020, 06:46:58 PM »
Our away support does far too much beak is a conclusion I've drawn. There can't be another away support so ready to knock lumps out of each other.

It’s been going on for years and is depressing and embarrassing in equal measure.
Today was my first away this season - and couldn’t agree more.

According to stuff on Twitter it also sounds like some of our fans turned on the Villa on Tour boys today too.

Saw some of that at half time. One idiot (tattooed, grey tracksuit, sat in block 43 just in front of the exit) having a right go at him while he had a piss. "Nobody gives a sh** about your f***ing videos" etc etc. Plenty of people telling him to calm down and then leading him away.

We were chatting to Max from VOT on the walk back into town after the game.

Apparently the bloke you refer to was having a go at him and his mates and managed to convince a steward to throw a couple of them out at half time. Max said he thought the bloke was trying to get a reaction out of him. Why on earth somebody would dislike him enough to threaten him is absolutely beyond me. If you don’t like his videos don’t watch them. It’s really effing simple.

In the 86-87 season we went to Southampton and were 4-0 down at half time. Yesterday’s performance was just as bad, as the only thing that saved us was poor decision making and finishing by them. We were shit from start to finish.

The trains were a mare too. We were on a bus at the station at 5-30 and then had delays, broken trains and various delays. I live in London and got home after 10. Imagine how shit it must be for Newcastle fans travelling much further than us with this shit transport infrastructure.

The only highlight of the day was the general singsong and humour at Winchester station, whilst waiting for the staff and police to develop some competency.  It was like a shit episode of the Apprentice. Much noisier support than in the ground though.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2020, 06:50:40 PM »
Not sure if it has been covered but what was going on with Hourihaine and the fan at the end? I was queueing to get out and saw some fan with curly hair shouting and then Hourihaine came over to him, then there seemed to be a scuffle by where that fan was.

I was at the back of the stand so saw it from a long way back but it seemed like Hourihane was trying to say sorry, we were shot but we do care. Not sure if there was abuse and aggro but a small number of people were singing his name but there was also some booing too.

It felt like yesterday was a turning point, as the players lost the fans - in my eyes at least.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2020, 09:49:55 AM »
Smith is right about one thing...this was our cup final and I, like him, don't give a fuck about the Wembley game now, as I think we are nailed on relegated after this game.
I've never seen a side start as sloppy as us, what do they do in the dressing room before a game? give them a puff to relax them?
Konsa's non challenge for the cross for the first goal set the tone, no passion, no intensity and no bottle.
I said in November that Smith was out of his depth and we were sleepwalking to relegation, I've seen it many times before, from the 66-67 side to Billy McBingo's duffers.
We're as bad as those sides.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »
Sorry but I can't bring myself to say I don't give a f-k about a cup final. Is it unwinnable? Maybe it is. But we're competing in it. There's always a glimmer of hope, however tiny, and to say you don't care about it at all just because we might be relegated is both sad and mental to me.

Offline avfc456

« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2020, 10:01:49 AM »
I get what you are saying, I just think its a very unwelcome distraction, and after the last couple of years in the championship I dread the thought of going back there, and I fear the worst for Sunday with our seemingly soft underbelly. I also worry about the consequences for the rest of the season if we do take a drubbing, I think it could turn very sour on Sunday if we go a few goals down if the away end on Saturday was anything to go by

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal