collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Southampton 2-0 Utterly gash Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 27602 times)

Online Marlon From Bearwood

Re: Southampton 2-0 Utterly gash Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2020, 07:51:45 PM »
Our away support does far too much beak is a conclusion I've drawn. There can't be another away support so ready to knock lumps out of each other.

It’s been going on for years and is depressing and embarrassing in equal measure.
Today was my first away this season - and couldn’t agree more.

According to stuff on Twitter it also sounds like some of our fans turned on the Villa on Tour boys today too.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2020, 07:53:05 PM »
You can keep Smith and go down or make a change that might work as for Terry why would you keep a defensive coach that has given us the worst defence in the league. El Ghazi is the weakest prick a total front runner and should be left out next week. I don't know where we go from here but the bigger problem is neither does Dean Smith.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2020, 07:56:09 PM »
Which is why I asked the question. I'd like to see some names put forth that people believe would be legitimate options, and options we could keep if we still went down.
There are dozens and dozens of very good managers on this list alone.  Why do you think Smith is a better bet than any of them?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

Offline cfetters

• Dawgman.com
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2020, 08:00:32 PM »
Which is why I asked the question. I'd like to see some names put forth that people believe would be legitimate options, and options we could keep if we still went down.
There are dozens and dozens of very good managers on this list alone.  Why do you think Smith is a better bet than any of them?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

I was asking for opinions from those here on who they want. I know I can look at all sorts of lists, thanks for that. And I do believe Smith is arguably the best option to bring us back if we go down. We're a year ahead of schedule, and he's trying to build something. He needs time to see that build through.

So who do you want? And why? Anyone else have managers they'd like to see at Villa right now that are actually gettable?

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2020, 08:02:33 PM »
I was asking for opinions from those here on who they want. I know I can look at all sorts of lists, thanks for that. And I do believe Smith is arguably the best option to bring us back if we go down. We're a year ahead of schedule, and he's trying to build something. He needs time to see that build through.

So who do you want? And why? Anyone else have managers they'd like to see at Villa right now that are actually gettable?
If he takes us down we'll be a year behind schedule.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2020, 08:30:56 PM »

And having to build yet again because we will have lost several more players as the teams above us pick our bones.  It will be a real shitter losing the likes of Mings to Everton or Leicester.  Jack to Man yew.  If we go back down, there is an argument that we will be no better off than we were when we went down last time.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »
Just got back and I haven't witnessed such a gutless performance in a long time, from the second minute onwards it was a lack of fight and skill.

Nakamba must have been given sleeping tablets before the game, he kept letting midfielders run past him without tracking back. If that was Drinkwater putting in that performance he would have been getting absolute pelters.

If we are going to stay up we will need some bloody good midfielders to replace the majority of what we have, they are just not good enough getting totally overrun pretty much every week now.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2020, 08:43:00 PM »
We simply can't play v teams who press us manically.

When you think about it the only team with slow central midfielders we've played this season was Newcastle with Shelvey Issac Hayden combination and that was probably our most comfortable 90 minutes of the season. Probably Norwich away but they had lots of unfit players at the time and we got away in the VP game.

Actually Burnley don't have much athleticism in midfield with Westwood and we played well up there.

We simply can't compete against mobile midfields with physical players in them. What's worse today is Southampton had some kid making his debut in there today and moved Ward Prowse to right back.

We were so inept we couldn't exploit an out of position (and slow) midfielder at full back.

Was same in championship when you think how we struggled v likes of Fulham and Leeds down there who had quick passing midfields.

We have some decent players in there but they lack consistency and we don't have one solid combination so constantly have to take a Luiz or Nakamba out every other week. Hourihane is also rubbish against any sort of decent press.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2020, 08:44:12 PM »

And having to build yet again because we will have lost several more players as the teams above us pick our bones.  It will be a real shitter losing the likes of Mings to Everton or Leicester.  Jack to Man yew.  If we go back down, there is an argument that we will be no better off than we were when we went down last time.

The squad will be unrecognisable from today's team, as said, Mings, Jack, McGinn, Heaton, and probably a few others all gone, we will have to start again right from the bottom up, complete rebuild, then of course there is the massive financial hit, we lose our second payment for not staying up at which point Smith will probably be gone anyway, so why not act sooner rather than later, give ourselves a chance. 3 season it took to get here, financial ruin, near extinction of a great club, buy outs, act now or we will repent at our leisure, worse than that, can anybody actually face those sickening games again, waiting for some moron to dash on the pitch to smash one of the team in the face again, lets stay up ffs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:52:50 PM by BoVillan esq »

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2020, 08:46:39 PM »
I dont buy that at all, if we go down then we'll lose Jack without a doubt but we'll keep anybody else that we choose too.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2020, 08:47:03 PM »
It's the case that two very good performances at VP that ended in unlucky defeats (Liverpool and Spurs at home) were followed by possibly our two worst performances of the season (Wolves and Southampton away), and it's pretty evident that this is a squad of players that spend quite an amount of time feeling sorry for themselves, have little or no confidence in each other, and display very little togetherness at the times when the chips are down and a bit of bottle is called for.  For this the management must bear the ultimate responsibility. As of tonight, next Sunday hardly bears thinking about.   

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2020, 08:47:41 PM »
Just back. Would be interested to know what was said between Conor and those fans in the corner.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2020, 08:48:41 PM »
Exactly.  If we were to go down, far from building something Smith will have dismantled something.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2020, 08:50:13 PM »
I dont buy that at all, if we go down then we'll lose Jack without a doubt but we'll keep anybody else that we choose too.

So if we have the likes of Mings and others wanting Premiership football, demanding to be let go, we should keep them no matter what.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2020, 08:52:30 PM »

So if we have the likes of Mings and others wanting Premiership football, demanding to be let go, we should keep them no matter what.

Our owners have already shown that they wont be fucked about in the transfer market, theres a massive inferiority complex amongst a big section of our support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal