collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Aston Villa Manager  (Read 55976 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Next Aston Villa Manager
« Reply #285 on: December 29, 2019, 11:48:23 AM »
I don't think Smith will be fired unless / until they have someone else lined up and ready to go.  The last thing we need is 2 or 3 weeks of fannying about trying to persuade people.
It depends on whether they think he has lost the dressing room.They can not afford to write off the Burnley game.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #286 on: December 29, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »
Whether there’s a change or not let’s hope the manager gets support and financial backing because whoever is in charge is going to need it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #287 on: December 29, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »
I don't think Smith will be fired unless / until they have someone else lined up and ready to go.  The last thing we need is 2 or 3 weeks of fannying about trying to persuade people.
It depends on whether they think he has lost the dressing room.They can not afford to write off the Burnley game.

I'm writing off the Burnley game. We haven't won their since the Abdication Crisis, and this shower of shitebags don't seem the sort to reverse more than eighty years of history.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #288 on: December 29, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »
Let's not forget that Henry was wanted but chose to take Monaco and Rui Faria was a wanted candidate but rejected the chance .
Dean Smith was I think if I'm right 3rd choice.
He suited the situation and was realistic for the time. And still is.
 Its clear football coaches , head coaches are wanted rather than managers.

Where is your usual sign-off: in Dean we trust?

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #289 on: December 29, 2019, 11:55:24 AM »
If we are to make a change, it should be with one thing in mind and nothing else - survival. I don’t give a tinkers cuss about playing it out from the back, all I want from this next 5 months is winning football, by any means.

If that means Allardyce coming in to organise and ruffle a few feathers, so be it. I’ll bet the appointment of Pearson went down like a shit sandwich with Watford fans, but fcuk me they’re looking a lot better now with him in charge.

This. I think some villa fans look back on the Championship years with rose-tinted glasses. Aside from the 10-game run it was absolutely shit. Have a bad weak in the championship and one of your rivals could have climbed 9 points clear of you. No, the championship was soul destroying and would cause the club to lose Grealish, Mings and McGinn. We got out of that quagmire and should do everything we possibly can to avoid ending up there again.

This

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #290 on: December 29, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
Not advocating Allardyce but I do like the players to a bit scared of the manager.

I honestly believe that the PL has outgrown the likes of Allerdyce.

Looking at realistic options to potentially replace Smith, I see it as just as much of a gamble to twist rather than stick.  Every game we lose hereafter though is another nail in his coffin.  Currently I'm just about onside but Burnley may tilt it for me.  I see no reason to believe that we're going to be any different there.

In a worst case scenario, should we go down, we will have the parachute payments plus money from Grealish, Mings and probably SJM.  We did get promoted too soon but it will enable us to rebuild properly.

Jack looked pissed off and frustrated yesterday.  I think it may be a battle to keep hold of him in the Summer regardless of where we're playing. 

On a tangent, I wonder who is responsible for all of these signings?  Certainly, the system at Brentford is working a lot better than what we've seen so from last summer.  3 Brentford managers on the trot are getting tunes out of bargain basement players.  Smith thrived on it yet is struggling with the budget he had in the summer.  Signing 2 mediocre players from one club stinks as well.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #291 on: December 29, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »
I don't think the championship was shit to be honest. It was entertaining and largely enjoyable for me as someone who hadn't been that regularly for a few years. Of course there were low points but by and large it was fun and novel seeing us win. Since Smith arrived the ground has been mostly full or nearly full, so the atmosphere is no different to how it is in the PL. It's certainly no fun being the top table's whipping boys, that's for sure.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #292 on: December 29, 2019, 11:59:40 AM »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #293 on: December 29, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »
FWIW, I don't think Smith will be going anywhere: the club appears to want stability and continuity; hence the recent 4 year deal. We're 2-3 points off safety and the plan is - I think - to get through the first season and then buy progressively better players to start competing more effectively.
That said, we're not doing the basics right - which is very much in Smith's balliwick - and so the best acquisition would be a new coach with deep Premier League experience, to work with Smith.
We need the whole team (i) to play with some passion and commitment, (ii) defend better and with greater awareness of what's going on around each player, and (iii) move the ball more quickly and accurately.

I personally would like to see a change in manager because it seems the squad has lost faith with Smith's approach. The ideal replacement would be a successful European manager-coach, but would any of the realistic candidates be able to make the right impact early enough. So, it may have to be a short-term appointment of someone like Hughton to keep us up, with a review and possible replacement in the summer.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #294 on: December 29, 2019, 12:05:53 PM »
I don't think the championship was shit to be honest. It was entertaining and largely enjoyable for me as someone who hadn't been that regularly for a few years. Of course there were low points but by and large it was fun and novel seeing us win. Since Smith arrived the ground has been mostly full or nearly full, so the atmosphere is no different to how it is in the PL. It's certainly no fun being the top table's whipping boys, that's for sure.

I want villa to be successful. I respect your view but I disagree and feel another stint in the championship, this time without Jack, would be seriously depressing.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #295 on: December 29, 2019, 12:11:03 PM »

I want villa to be successful. I respect your view but I disagree and feel another stint in the championship, this time without Jack, would be seriously depressing.

I agree, we go down and it will be a very long time coming before we bounce back, if ever, look how long it took this time, even then we didn't get the auto spots, we have to hold on.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #296 on: December 29, 2019, 12:26:06 PM »

It's the same as any other league. We had long winless runs there let's not forget like in 16/17 which was largely a horrible season, 17/18 was better apart from the final game and last season had the epic run in but we were pretty poor for most of the period before that.

I was enjoying us in the prem up to start of December. We were competitive in pretty much every game bar away ones like Wolves and Man. City. The Leicester game has totally changed it and since that match we've looked like a championship side. Also reflected in the 11s we've started putting out since a couple of injuries have occurred.

Now we're in one of those depressing periods where we'll probably win once in three months as happened regularly under Lambert. I think we'll hit 19th rather than rise up to 17th in next few weeks.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #297 on: December 29, 2019, 12:35:26 PM »

It's the same as any other league. We had long winless runs there let's not forget like in 16/17 which was largely a horrible season, 17/18 was better apart from the final game and last season had the epic run in but we were pretty poor for most of the period before that.

I was enjoying us in the prem up to start of December. We were competitive in pretty much every game bar away ones like Wolves and Man. City. The Leicester game has totally changed it and since that match we've looked like a championship side. Also reflected in the 11s we've started putting out since a couple of injuries have occurred.

Now we're in one of those depressing periods where we'll probably win once in three months as happened regularly under Lambert. I think we'll hit 19th rather than rise up to 17th in next few weeks.

Last 23 games of last season we lost only 4, we had a good Jan transfer window and it worked, the squad is bedded in they fought a hard long promotion campaign and play off finals against difficult teams such as Leeds and WBA, we lost Tammy Abraham and got in Wes, who simply hasn't worked out, no experienced Premiership campaigners added to this squad to fatten it up and of course we have a manager who at best is a good Championship manager, you can't get blood from a stone and we won't get much more improvement out of Smith.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #298 on: December 29, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
Moyes to be announced West Ham manager tomorrow.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #299 on: December 29, 2019, 01:01:36 PM »
Moyes to be announced West Ham manager tomorrow.
Thank fuck for that, can someone now super glue Allardices  and Puliss locks and jam their mobile signals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal