collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Burnley post-match thread  (Read 28763 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa v Burnley post-match thread
« Reply #240 on: September 30, 2019, 09:35:59 AM »
Hourihane was lively up until their equaliser. I thought he was quick to close them down in midfield, his passing was crisp and his movement off the ball when we were in possesion created plenty of space for others. But once it went to one each, he didn't seem to be able to affect the game at all.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #241 on: September 30, 2019, 09:44:12 AM »
Disappointed again when we went 2-1 I thought we had them then we go and concede straight away which we should have done better and not conceded they say you are most vulnerable when you have just scored which I agree with that.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #242 on: September 30, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
Hourahanes freekick hit the post and a couple if decent corners. No a  lot else.

Put in the ball for the disallowed goal too

He was playing too far ahead of the ball to influence the game I thought. Should have dropped next to Nakamba into a two but it was clearly a tactic that he should be further up the pitch. It beggars belief how Smith can't see this nor change it during a game. It's between Luiz and Hourihane for that spot next to Nakamba for me.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #243 on: September 30, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »
Conor’s had very little time in this league, starts or otherwise. He was more entitled to a quiet game than most on Saturday.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #244 on: September 30, 2019, 10:25:59 AM »
I was pleased with Targetts debut and the re-introduction of Conor into midfield, at the expense of a winger.
Both contributed and it was only after Targett's substitution that our defense and keeper decided to turn into jelly.
I hope Deano continues with the extra man in midfield, certainly until we have more effective wingers.
Conor did very little.
I'd be very tempted to play Luiz (with Marvelous) to create a more solid midfield, freeing up Jack and SJM to get more forward without fear of leaving us open to counter-attack. And Luiz is a good enough to get further forward when/if required.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #245 on: September 30, 2019, 10:45:00 AM »
I concur - Luiz and Marvelous need to form the DM duo and I think that would really solidify the midfield area. But Jack has to be more disciplined and stop tracking back - much of his play is in the wrong are of the field - he needs to take less touches but make more count and he’d do that once he stops retreating all the time.

We definitely have the quality in 9 positions - GK, back 4, Luiz, Marvelous, Jack, and SJM - and for me that has to be the nucleus for the rest of the season.

I’d then play two interchangeably of Jota, ElGhazi, Trez, Wesley, and Davis - possibly dropping Wesley for a bit and giving Davis a few games.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #246 on: September 30, 2019, 11:13:10 AM »
I concur - Luiz and Marvelous need to form the DM duo and I think that would really solidify the midfield area. But Jack has to be more disciplined and stop tracking back - much of his play is in the wrong are of the field - he needs to take less touches but make more count and he’d do that once he stops retreating all the time.

We definitely have the quality in 9 positions - GK, back 4, Luiz, Marvelous, Jack, and SJM - and for me that has to be the nucleus for the rest of the season.

I’d then play two interchangeably of Jota, ElGhazi, Trez, Wesley, and Davis - possibly dropping Wesley for a bit and giving Davis a few games.
Gets my vote

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #247 on: September 30, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »
I was pleased with Targetts debut and the re-introduction of Conor into midfield, at the expense of a winger.
Both contributed and it was only after Targett's substitution that our defense and keeper decided to turn into jelly.
I hope Deano continues with the extra man in midfield, certainly until we have more effective wingers.
Conor did very little.
I'd be very tempted to play Luiz (with Marvelous) to create a more solid midfield, freeing up Jack and SJM to get more forward without fear of leaving us open to counter-attack. And Luiz is a good enough to get further forward when/if required.

Luiz certainly has the ability but not sure about his conditioning levels currently. Seems to be carrying a bit of timber. In hindsight it might have been best to give a few hard weeks pre season after he joined and gradually eased him in. Seems to have worked for Nakamba. Luiz/Nakamba have the making of a very good pairing in there. Right/left balance and both comfortable taking the ball under pressure.

Hourihane has other qualities but is horribly one sided, uncomfortable turning on his right side and barely able to kick with his right foot at all.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #248 on: September 30, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #249 on: September 30, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »

They've cruelly cut out all of Wesley's great moments.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2019, 03:21:58 PM »

They've cruelly cut out all of Wesley's great moments.

As Del Boy once said to Trigger.....

"That's called 'blinking'"

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2019, 06:32:53 PM »
Thought it spoke volumes for where we are that an established PL team didn't even give a thought to trying to win the game after they equalised -clearly, that's how highly the other team rated us.

When we get some competent refs (yes, I know) we should start moving up the league.

Good to see Ashley go out of his way to applaud the home crowd, and to see the appreciation returned. I'm really pleased with what he's achieved since he left us; surprising what you can achieve when you work under a manager who isn't shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal