collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Burnley post-match thread  (Read 28765 times)

Offline walsall villain

Re: Aston Villa v Burnley post-match thread
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2019, 04:05:19 PM »
Regarding the atmosphere, someone earlier mentioned along the lines of how our crowd allow themselves to get wound up over, well, not very much. I doubt it'll have gone unnoticed to the rest of the division that if you want to distract us and quieten us down, simply pick the ball up and move it to the other side of your six yard box.
Well I thought there was plenty for ya to get wound up about yesterday. Why no yellow cards for many of the fouls on Mcginn?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
Oh, I agree, that Caniggia sequence in particular. But they'd turned us round at the toss, then deployed the goal kick time wasting immediately. Even where I'm sat, amongst the historically less volatile, I got a feeling some people were more interested in the taking of the next Burnley goal kick than the dashing exploits of their own team in the first half.

Their supporters didn't have to shout us down, their manager had already sorted it.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2019, 05:36:46 PM »
I think if we had a decent striker with a bit of nous, we'd be winning these games.

Wesley has been terrible so far, apart from the Everton game. He gets beaten and bullied far, far too often for a guy of his size. Then instead of working to rectify his mistakes, he sulks and moans.

Because he can't protect the ball or find space, we end up under more pressure than necessary.

To be honest, I'd rather we'd shelled out for Maupay, who might not be brilliant but looks like a clever, niggly little bastard.

Despite his size, I think it is becoming apparent that Wesley isn't a target man type of striker.  Watching him yesterday, had just isn't in a position to challenge for the ball when it goes up there most of the time.  That said, he is OK when the ball is played into is his feet and he does tend to keep hold of it then.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #228 on: September 29, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »
For all the positives yesterday, we (again) didn’t win. If we aren’t beating Burnley at home, who are we going to beat?
Someone else?

I’m going to need you to be just a smidgeon more specific if I’m going to lump my life savings on it.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #229 on: September 29, 2019, 05:51:07 PM »
Norwich and Brighton double.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #230 on: September 29, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »
All £3.57 of it?

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #231 on: September 29, 2019, 05:55:23 PM »
All £3.57 of it?

100% of my savings is 100% of my savings even if it is only £3.57.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #232 on: September 29, 2019, 10:02:10 PM »
How does Legion knows about the size of your purse?
And by the way we will beat Liverpool in November  and end their winning run. Borrow money and lump it on that.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2019, 12:21:55 AM »
It comes to something that a 22 million striker (or whatever Wesley cost) obviously needs practice in how to head the ball with venom on the training ground. I still think he will come good. he works hard, chases down and from his goals against Everton and Arsenal obviously has some talent, but his heading (for a big man) is appalling.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2019, 06:51:26 AM »
I thought Connor was absolute garbage on Saturday, if someone can tell me what he brings to the team, apart from the odd free kick (reminds me of Bacuna)?

Wesley needs to step up, but in fairness to him whenever the ball was sent up into the air towards him from goal kicks he was battling with 3 players to win it, even if he would have won the header there would have been no one around him to get the flick on.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:57:12 AM by sid1964 »

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2019, 07:31:37 AM »
I was pleased with Targetts debut and the re-introduction of Conor into midfield, at the expense of a winger.
Both contributed and it was only after Targett's substitution that our defense and keeper decided to turn into jelly.
I hope Deano continues with the extra man in midfield, certainly until we have more effective wingers.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #236 on: September 30, 2019, 07:57:33 AM »
It comes to something that a 22 million striker (or whatever Wesley cost) obviously needs practice in how to head the ball with venom on the training ground. I still think he will come good. he works hard, chases down and from his goals against Everton and Arsenal obviously has some talent, but his heading (for a big man) is appalling.

He still has a chance, however another 4-5 performance of this ilk and sadly I fear the crowd may destroy his confidence beyond repair.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #237 on: September 30, 2019, 08:51:28 AM »
I was pleased with Targetts debut and the re-introduction of Conor into midfield, at the expense of a winger.
Both contributed and it was only after Targett's substitution that our defense and keeper decided to turn into jelly.
I hope Deano continues with the extra man in midfield, certainly until we have more effective wingers.
Conor did very little.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #238 on: September 30, 2019, 09:18:45 AM »
Conor did very little.

I thought he had a quiet game, no lack of effort but didn't affect the game. Interestingly Jack got accused of the same, yet I felt most attacks went through him.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #239 on: September 30, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »
Hourahanes freekick hit the post and a couple if decent corners. No a  lot else.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal