collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219215 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #825 on: December 14, 2019, 08:10:39 PM »
Right now I don’t trust these players to beat anyone, players have off days, moments, but bloody hell we’ve gone into our shells and Smith and his coaches seem unable to coach them out of them. Nakamba for example, ran the show against Brighton, he’s been pish ever since, McGinn, where do you start, Luiz has been bobbins. 
We need a win Tuesday, any kind will do followed up with an assured victory on Saturday, nothing else will do.

Consistency is the issue with the players. All our players are good on their day and can change games but everyone of them including grealish has off games quite regularly and quite a few of them like AEG are all or nothing.

We’ve only had a couple games where everyone clicked, Everton and Norwich.

Our inconsistency isn't just a game to game thing. We are too inconsistent during games too.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #826 on: December 14, 2019, 08:14:49 PM »
It's worth remembering many of these players have not played at this level before or very limited experience. We may have signed some of them for big money but bang average players go for at least 15m these days as Targett is showing. Guy couldn't even get in a poor Southampton team regularly in last two seasons.

Hause was a back up CB at Wolves who didn't play when they went up, Lansbury hardly played in prem at other clubs and settled in championship.

We have signed some good players but most were just punts from abroad or lower end here. Now if we'd signed 4-5 with the top level experience that Heaton does I'd be much more disappointed as the expectation would be greater then. Like it was in the MON days when we had an 11 full of solid internationals.

This is why January is crucial to me. Not just to stay up but to build for the next 18 months. We need to up our transfer sights a little imo and go after proven international class players.

Wolves signed Neves, Moutinho and Raul Jimenez and they are thriving at prem level and in europa with those three the heartbeat once they cross the halfway line.

It's surely not too much to ask to sign players of that standard?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #827 on: December 14, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »
I honestly think the players have sussed Wes out as a dud and the whole team is suffering. No hold up play leads to knackered legs on 70mins.
Perleeeeeaase. Behave.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #828 on: December 14, 2019, 08:37:48 PM »
It's worth remembering many of these players have not played at this level before or very limited experience. We may have signed some of them for big money but bang average players go for at least 15m these days as Targett is showing. Guy couldn't even get in a poor Southampton team regularly in last two seasons.

Hause was a back up CB at Wolves who didn't play when they went up, Lansbury hardly played in prem at other clubs and settled in championship.

We have signed some good players but most were just punts from abroad or lower end here. Now if we'd signed 4-5 with the top level experience that Heaton does I'd be much more disappointed as the expectation would be greater then. Like it was in the MON days when we had an 11 full of solid internationals.

This is why January is crucial to me. Not just to stay up but to build for the next 18 months. We need to up our transfer sights a little imo and go after proven international class players.

Wolves signed Neves, Moutinho and Raul Jimenez and they are thriving at prem level and in europa with those three the heartbeat once they cross the halfway line.

How many of the Sheff Utd players have played at this level? Has the manager managed at this level? They seem to be adjusting very well despite their lack of PL experience.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #829 on: December 14, 2019, 08:41:11 PM »

Absolutely spot on. Some real quality and experience on top of what we have is really needed. We are not too bad and in a rut but we seriously need something more.
I’m still convinced Smith can get us out of trouble. Too many players out of form but Awe don’t have the squad to mix it up.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #830 on: December 14, 2019, 08:41:55 PM »
Three wins on the bounce over Xmas would do us a world of good. I am concerned it's looking like 3 out of 4 currently. Long way to go of course.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #831 on: December 14, 2019, 08:45:50 PM »

How many of the Sheff Utd players have played at this level? Has the manager managed at this level? They seem to be adjusting very well despite their lack of PL experience.

Oh they're performing brilliantly but there is always one outlier team every season and they are it. The norm though is for promoted teams to struggle, Norwich finished what 20 points ahead of us but didn't add much and they've struggled more than we have.

This time last week we were only 4 points behind Sheffield United so it wasn't like they were miles ahead of us until last two games.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #832 on: December 14, 2019, 09:20:09 PM »

Not easy to recruit Prem quality players when you are sitting just above the relegation zone.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #833 on: December 14, 2019, 09:21:55 PM »
You can recruit anyone you want when you’ve got owners as rich as ours.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #834 on: December 14, 2019, 09:22:59 PM »
So explain why the purchase of Maupay was sanctioned by Pitarch.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #835 on: December 14, 2019, 09:23:59 PM »
I think there is a little bit more to it than that.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #836 on: December 14, 2019, 09:31:17 PM »
Not easy to recruit Prem quality players when you are sitting just above the relegation zone.
No it isn't easy, but that's what we've got to do.  No excuses.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #837 on: December 14, 2019, 09:33:55 PM »
Sadly, the position we are likely to find ourselves in when the transfer window opens is just the position you don't want to be in when looking to attract quality players.

However, I would say that two strikers are an absolute must - and preferably two who might gel together up top.  Ideally, one who is hungry to play and succeed at the highest level, and one who's been there and still has something to offer.  I'm not saying these are the ones we should go for or might get, but one like Ollie Watkins of Brentford (ok, I know) and one like Charlie Austin, Glenn Murray or Dannie Ings.  But a couple who between them might score 10-12 goals over the remaining fixtures and can even bring something out of Wesley.  As it is, with only Wesley as an option up front, we are truly stuffed.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #838 on: December 14, 2019, 09:44:18 PM »
I think there is a little bit more to it than that.

Outside a few elite teams and world class players, I really don’t think it matters that much. If they’re in the right league and they’re paid enough, good players will come and play for us.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #839 on: December 14, 2019, 10:04:41 PM »
Sheffield United came into the top flight with two good years of stability and momentum behind them. We came into the top flight with a few months of stability and momentum.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal