collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 220165 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #1755 on: June 19, 2020, 01:52:41 PM »
I never get why an incident a few mins before half time means it would be the final score. We may have gone on to lose but the second half would have been different to how it was if the goal had been given.
Indeed. Anything could have happened, however we can only judge what was presented to us, and that was what I commented on.

You didn't comment on what happened. You commented on some alternative reality where "we lost" because for some reason you've decided to award their goal and ignore any possibility that the game might not have finished one-nil had it counted.
I haven't decided to award them anything - we got a draw and a point. Great. All i was saying was that the ball went in our goal more times that it did theirs. In any other scenario that would have meant we lost the game. We didn't, although that wasn't of our making - and that's my point. Regardless of how things could have gone, the simple facts are at the end of the game, the ball was in our net more times than theirs. 
Hypothetical penalties don't mean anything as they are not a guaranteed goal and as these things didn't happen, it's impossible to say how it would have changed things. 

Ha ha - does no-one get where i'm coming from?

Hypothetical goals don't mean anything either.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1756 on: June 19, 2020, 02:07:37 PM »
If we're going by correct decisions, if we were given the penalty then their goal never happens as the game would have played out differently from that moment.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1757 on: June 19, 2020, 02:17:25 PM »
This is all getting a bit 'angels on the head of a pin'.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1758 on: June 19, 2020, 02:30:10 PM »
Juan Pablo? You are my angle, hilts.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1759 on: June 19, 2020, 03:33:47 PM »
If we're going by correct decisions, if we were given the penalty then their goal never happens as the game would have played out differently from that moment.

There was that goalkick in the tenth minute.  I think it went towards the left touch line instead of the right. If it had gone to the right, the game would probably have played out differently from there.  So no free kick, no goal.  I think.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #1760 on: June 19, 2020, 06:38:14 PM »
Going back to the thread title - am I starting to get worried?
Yes I am - it's hard to see where the wins will come from
We've still the same underwhelming squad and manager and we are starting to resemble a lower league team that relies heavily  on one particular player . A win against Sheffield would have given everyone a big boost but despite a solid performance we still couldn't score - having Davis lead the attack sums it up for me - deploying a striker that doesn't score ain't gonna see you win many games - relying on Palace or Everton being on their holidays when they play us doesn't seem the best of survival plans

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1761 on: June 19, 2020, 06:50:29 PM »
Agree VCTM other than I'm resigned to us going down. Up until now we deserve to. Dean Smith says he selected the players that impressed him in recent weeks at BH and there lies our problem. A jumbled up mob with no plan. No doubt he will change the team against Chelsea and thereafter every week. I honestly think we're not half as bad as we pretend to be but then I've been saying that for the last 20 years.

One thing this season I could never understand was how we've gayly skipped from one defeat to another without a care in the world that we'll eventually get relegated.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:53:29 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1762 on: June 19, 2020, 08:17:28 PM »
Agree VCTM other than I'm resigned to us going down. Up until now we deserve to. Dean Smith says he selected the players that impressed him in recent weeks at BH and there lies our problem. A jumbled up mob with no plan. No doubt he will change the team against Chelsea and thereafter every week. I honestly think we're not half as bad as we pretend to be but then I've been saying that for the last 20 years.

One thing this season I could never understand was how we've gayly skipped from one defeat to another without a care in the world that we'll eventually get relegated.

Your last sentence is so true imo.  We seem to be sleepwalking to relegation.  I appreciate that the players will try, a bit, but it is the same stuff from Dean, talking a good game, but the same tactics etc.  I was a bit surprised that he didn't try to throw the kitchen sink at Sheffield United and I am concerned that he doesn't quite get that last drop from the players like one or two other managers seem to.

Offline ez

« Reply #1763 on: June 20, 2020, 03:47:07 PM »
Another one resigned to it. We're not down there for no reason.  There will be some   decent performances,  we may even win a game or 2 but we're now looking for an unrealistic run of results.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1764 on: June 20, 2020, 03:59:04 PM »
If we went down I don’t think we’d lose a load of our players. Jack obviously, Mings very likely and maybe SJM. And I love McGinn but he’s not a top 6 player in my opinion and he would be a target at a hefty price for the clubs in the middle of the table. If he really wants to play in the PL then it would cost one of those clubs a lot of money. So I’m not entirely convinced he’d be gone. Truthfully the rest of our squad in the Championship would be more than strong enough to win it. A few other players may want to get out but it’s not like they couldn’t be replaced intelligently at that level. And as much as I would be gutted and especially at the naivety of the manager and coaches, I would probably be ok with Dean Smith in the Championship than starting all over again.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1765 on: June 20, 2020, 04:04:41 PM »
I don't get the mentality of some people, 1 point from safety and with a quarter of the season to go and you're all ready to throw in the towel.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1766 on: June 20, 2020, 04:04:51 PM »
If we went down I don’t think we’d lose a load of our players. Jack obviously, Mings very likely and maybe SJM. And I love McGinn but he’s not a top 6 player in my opinion and he would be a target at a hefty price for the clubs in the middle of the table. If he really wants to play in the PL then it would cost one of those clubs a lot of money. So I’m not entirely convinced he’d be gone. Truthfully the rest of our squad in the Championship would be more than strong enough to win it. A few other players may want to get out but it’s not like they couldn’t be replaced intelligently at that level. And as much as I would be gutted and especially at the naivety of the manager and coaches, I would probably be ok with Dean Smith in the Championship than starting all over again.
No it wouldn't be the end of the world.  But I'm not sure that our squad minus, for sake of argument, Jack, Mings, SJM, maybe Heaton, would be that dominant.  Those first three are absolutely crucial players for us and replacing them with similar quality will be very difficult , impossible in Jack's case.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1767 on: June 20, 2020, 04:48:53 PM »
No it wouldn't be the end of the world.  But I'm not sure that our squad minus, for sake of argument, Jack, Mings, SJM, maybe Heaton, would be that dominant.  Those first three are absolutely crucial players for us and replacing them with similar quality will be very difficult , impossible in Jack's case.

No they would have to be replaced well. And you don’t just replace Jack. You just have find a different way to play.

But when you consider the possible opponents unlike the last few seasons no team stands out. We’d likely go down with Norwich and say Bournemouth (who quite possibly lose Howe). No Wolves, Newcastle, Sheff Utd, Leeds. Never easy but if we keep most things stable we should be strong favourites.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1768 on: June 20, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »
I am not giving up on a Premier Division place but... if we went down, Steer, Guilbert, Konsa, Hause, Targett, Hourihane, Luiz, Samatta, AEG, would all be fine.  The likes of Wesley, Elmo, Davis, Barry all ok too.  We still need a proper defensive midfielder but Nakamba might be ok.  We need another winger too, although Trezeguet might also be ok.  I think I might be keen to hang on to Chester if he is fit as we need extra experience.  If FFP is suspended, then we can spend what we need.  We could do with a couple of midfield grafters if SJM moves on. Long way to go, but I fear the worst.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 05:02:21 PM by Newby »

Offline ez

« Reply #1769 on: June 20, 2020, 05:07:17 PM »
Worrying when 2 of our relegation rivals come from behind to get something. With us I always think the old cliche  we could play all night and not score.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal