collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

January Transfer Window by paul_e
[Today at 12:36:07 PM]

Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving by Lsvilla
[Today at 12:30:50 PM]

Penalty taker by Risso
[Today at 12:14:40 PM]

The Running thread by Risso
[Today at 11:50:27 AM]

Aston Villa vs Newcastle Utd pre-match thread (POSTPONED) by olaftab
[Today at 10:58:19 AM]

I know this is REALLY fucking stupid, however... by Small Rodent
[Today at 10:31:02 AM]

The Squad - Upgrades/Additions Needed? by brontebilly
[Today at 10:20:36 AM]

Expected goals by paul_e
[Today at 10:04:30 AM]

November 30, 2020, 02:14:45 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 230 | Comments: 2

It was a very good year. It wa...
November 28, 2020, 04:35:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 218 | Comments: 0

Long -time H&V stalwart Simon ...
November 26, 2020, 05:50:55 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 852 | Comments: 13

Coming to Villa Park in Octobe...
November 23, 2020, 04:23:08 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 623 | Comments: 4

These days a ten year old is l...
November 20, 2020, 12:28:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 503 | Comments: 3

In the euphoria of the resumpt...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 126560 times)

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #1725 on: February 27, 2020, 11:31:51 AM »
Can see Chelsea being a similar game to Spurs. They have injuries and defensively are pretty poor.

Hopefully if we're 2-2 going into injury time we can actually see it out as every point is vital from now.

If it is 2-2 going into injury time, I'd rather we tried to win like we did against Watford and Brighton. Nearly always worth risking one point for two.

Sometimes you have to be pragmatic especially with the counter attacking ability of the top teams (or a CB missing a routine clearance).

If we're level with Leicester and Chelsea near the end I'd take two draws happily. Will build the confidence up again nicely and then if we go to Newcastle and win we'll be on 31 points and suddenly getting to 37-38 points dosen't look that difficult.

You know we just beat Leicester... with a last second goal? And Chelsea lost to shitey Newcastle with an injury time winner, too.

Go for the win.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1726 on: February 27, 2020, 12:04:19 PM »
I can envisage that we might produce a few good results, even against some of the top sides.
What I can't see is our putting a string of results together. The current squad can't play Dean Smith's preferred style at this level consistently.

It's going to be close, which may of us fully expected.   

We don't really need that much of a run. We could stay up with runs of 1 win in 3 if we also draw a game in that run. Another 12 points and it's not certain we'd stay up but I'd be pretty confident looking at the runs in likes of Bournemouth have.

I agree that we don't need a good run to avoid the drop, but we do need one to sail away from the relegation zone and be safe with a couple of games left. I think we will stay up, but it will be very close, and this is pretty much what I expected to happen.

Can't see us doing well enough to being safe by final day. Just hope it's one of those situations where we go to West Ham three points clear and they need to beat us by 4-5 goals so as good as safe.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : Apr, 2014
« Reply #1727 on: February 27, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »
If we top 34 points I'll be gob smacked.

Offline Footy-Vill

• Jack Grealish is the very best!
  • GM : 06.09.2021
« Reply #1728 on: June 18, 2020, 12:20:10 AM »
That was the match v Sheff U to keep matters in our hands.
Yes it was the first game back after an extended break buy what was most concerning the lack of urgency and realisation for 3pts .
Towards the end of match especially - throws in going back and no real pressing , granted tiredness but the match was disappointing

Not sure what Smith told the players in the review but several could have pushed a bit more to get a winning goal.

So yes I'm worried now . Extremely.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #1729 on: June 18, 2020, 06:53:26 AM »
Is Chelsea now a must win ?
I am beginning to think so.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2021
« Reply #1730 on: June 18, 2020, 07:10:29 AM »
Not yet, accumulating points as we go and gaining confidence is the key. With the way the Bundesliga has started for home sides 20% win ratio those away games are suddenly potential wins. 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' aside Newcastle, Everton and West Ham might have nothing to play for as will Palace, we must get points from all of those 4 and then pick up another 2 home wins to give ourselves a chance.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #1731 on: June 18, 2020, 07:53:03 AM »
Well we are in the relegation zone, with same games played and a worse goal difference, so yes worried, but we are in with a chance and a lot of games to play, but we must find a way to start winning games

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #1732 on: June 18, 2020, 02:06:30 PM »
Obvious point, but this Saturday could be the biggest day of our season so far. All of our relegation rivals playing at home straight after each other.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1733 on: June 18, 2020, 02:10:08 PM »
Is Chelsea now a must win ?
I am beginning to think so.

Newcastle is the must win for me.

We do terribly up there year in year out for some reason (compared to the other two NE clubs) but they won't have the crowd factor which seems to unnerve us and I can't believe a Newcastle team managed by Steve Bruce will come racing out of the blocks. And we won comfortably at VP.

We certainly need a win in next three otherwise task becomes too much. Wins v Newcastle, Palace and Arsenal and a draw or two and we could well go into final day out of bottom 3.

Online gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #1734 on: June 18, 2020, 04:16:16 PM »
Watched yesterday - we played some nice neat football, but in truth SU were more incisive and really, all our problems showed up again - comical defending (Hause and Nyland in particular), lack of creativity in midfield, woeful finishing (Davis really must learn to put chances away).

I think we are down - cannot see (even with the most optimistic glasses on) where 14 points is coming from in 9 games so ...... big summer coming up (how many times have we said that) - parachute payment means we MUST return fast - if we do, and do so well, then future can still be bright but if the panic sets in and we take too short term a view again, we are destined to remain in the funk.

Online Drummond

• GM : 12.10.2021
« Reply #1735 on: June 18, 2020, 04:32:44 PM »
Watched yesterday - we played some nice neat football, but in truth SU were more incisive and really, all our problems showed up again - comical defending (Hause and Nyland in particular), lack of creativity in midfield, woeful finishing (Davis really must learn to put chances away).

I think we are down - cannot see (even with the most optimistic glasses on) where 14 points is coming from in 9 games so ...... big summer coming up (how many times have we said that) - parachute payment means we MUST return fast - if we do, and do so well, then future can still be bright but if the panic sets in and we take too short term a view again, we are destined to remain in the funk.

They weren't more incisive. They had one shot on target all match.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1736 on: June 18, 2020, 07:45:08 PM »

They weren't more incisive. They had one shot on target all match.

We had far more possession than Sheffield United when SKY showed the stats (although that was during the game not at the final whistle). I have been quite worried from day one of the season. My target for us in our remaining games after restart was four wins from our ten games.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 11.03.2021
« Reply #1737 on: June 18, 2020, 07:57:08 PM »
Odds are against us, but if we can continue to have better defensive shape we might keep more clean sheets and that will give us a chance.

Offline colin69

« Reply #1738 on: June 18, 2020, 08:15:45 PM »
I do think we really have our work cut out to stay up but lets see how the next couple of matches go for all teams and see where we are. A point last night was more than I thought wed get so its something to build on.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #1739 on: June 18, 2020, 08:31:14 PM »
I've adopted something like a one-day cricket attitude. It'd be nice to have a comfortably big lead posted with nine overs left, but it ain't happened. However, if we can keep pace with the required run rate, and leave ourselves a chance in that final over against the spammers, I won't be betting against us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal