collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Marvelous Nakamba - gone  (Read 161326 times)

Offline Villatillidie25

Re: Marvelous Nakamba - confirmed
« Reply #420 on: January 09, 2020, 10:05:32 AM »
I think he and Douglas are struggling. It's the pace of the league, the non-stop frenetic action in the middle. He came in and was really up for it. You make an error and you shake it off but obviously we've come through a shit tonne of games now and tiredness is also factoring in and poor results don't help confidence and he's look overwhelmed as much as anything. It's like dealing with a toddler. The morning you think you're keeping up, there's some errors but you're not far off. By the evening they're still at you and you're rocking yourself in a dark corner mumbling 'the horror, the horror.' . I think Nakamba will be a good player but for our position right now, you need a been there done that kind of a player and Nakamba needs a spell on the bench.

This rings true even more so with Douglas, the difference is though, I just don't know, and mayb even the player himself, what type of midfielder he's supposed to be. Where should he play? Nakamba has a placing and in the end I see him coming good (I don't want us to watch on as he thrives elsewhere ala Idrissa and Veretout). If Douglas is gonna sit deep and be a DMF he needs to get stronger and work on his positional play and defensive attributes.

Nailed it. I like both of them but their positional play at times is pretty woeful and we still look soft centred a lot of the time. 3 centre backs has helped a lot as there's one more body in the middle, which means a centre back can step out or play sweeper, almost creating 2 more lines behind the midfield

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #421 on: January 09, 2020, 10:14:23 AM »
They fall into the Wesley/Targett category for me, there are signs that they can all be decent PL players but all new to the club, each other and the PL all together at the same time means they're struggling. Nakamba is the most surprising though because he did seem to hit the ground running and looked well suited to the PL, now he looks a tad off the pace and keeps giving the ball away.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #422 on: January 09, 2020, 10:28:47 AM »
I think both players need some time out to work on their fitness and decision making. Unfortunately given our league position and injury list that isn’t going to happen.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #423 on: January 09, 2020, 10:32:21 AM »
They fall into the Wesley/Targett category for me, there are signs that they can all be decent PL players but all new to the club, each other and the PL all together at the same time means they're struggling. Nakamba is the most surprising though because he did seem to hit the ground running and looked well suited to the PL, now he looks a tad off the pace and keeps giving the ball away.

In his first few games he looked really lively, now it looks as if he is pulling a train and can't get near opponents. Failing to even attempt a tackle v Knockaert as a prime example. Confidence on the ball is shot to pieces too. Maybe a spell out of the team would help but we don't have another player capable of attempting a holding midfield role in the squad.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #424 on: January 09, 2020, 10:32:30 AM »
I've got more patience with Luiz, because although you can see he has talent, Smith doesn't seem certain how to best utilise that ability on the ball.  With Nakamba his job is relatively easy to understand.  Break up attacks, win the ball back, then pass the ball to a team mate.  He started off quite brightly, but has been poor of late, and was woeful last night.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #425 on: January 09, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »
Thought he had a mixed night last night to say the least, he's dropped off in the past few weeks after a promising start. But I'd be wary of writing him off as it does remind me of the foreign bought lads from 2015 who would now all walk into our team right.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #426 on: January 09, 2020, 12:10:31 PM »
It reminds me very much of 2015. There's ability there, but players need time to settle. I know that's not something we're blessed with right now, but I think they'll mostly look a lot improved next season...if we survive.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #427 on: January 09, 2020, 12:36:25 PM »
Touch wood though, we don't have the bad atmosphere in the squad that we supposedly had in 15-16.
Talking of Luiz best position, for me it's in the attacking half, he's too casual and lightweight to play in a defensive role. I felt this pretty much from the first time i saw him play, he's really in competition with Hourahane and should be used when we're expected to be on the front foot. Now that McGinn is injured and Nakamba is out of form we're really struggling for midfielders to protect the defense. As far as i'm aware, if by some miracle Drinkwater performs for us i don't think he's that type of player either.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #428 on: January 09, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »
To be fair to him he is brilliant at breaking up and stopping attacks. They're all our attacks but still.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #429 on: January 09, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »
To be fair to him he is brilliant at breaking up and stopping attacks. They're all our attacks but still.

Ha ha

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #430 on: January 11, 2020, 05:19:19 AM »
Drinkwater may provide the opportunity to rest Nakamba and Luis more regularly.  Currently  they’re nailed on starters and carry a lot of responsibility which is unfair at this stage of their development.

In a parallel world, do you think we would be better off if we had just signed the chap from Leeds rather than two guys with potential (plus maybe £5m)?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:10:43 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline KRS

« Reply #431 on: January 11, 2020, 05:53:23 AM »
Marv is shite. Someone has to be truly honest and say it like it is.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #432 on: January 11, 2020, 06:19:15 AM »
How about he’s just a young player having tough time of it as he continues to adjust to the league and as teams scout his weaknesses. Much like many rashly (including me) wrote Veretout, Adama, Gueye etc off. Doesn’t make him shit at all.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2020, 07:41:07 AM »
How about he’s just a young player having tough time of it as he continues to adjust to the league and as teams scout his weaknesses. Much like many rashly (including me) wrote Veretout, Adama, Gueye etc off. Doesn’t make him shit at all.

he reminds me more of Reo-Coker than Gueye.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #434 on: January 11, 2020, 08:11:19 AM »
Suffering a crisis of confidence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal