collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 495176 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #3960 on: November 28, 2023, 05:01:27 PM »
I guess 40 years of following Villa has made me cynical and pessimistic, but when you ask 'why would he go to X' the answer is that they would probably pay him a shit load more money than we would.

I read Olly is our highest paid player at £150k a week, I'd be surprised if that would get him into the top 30 players in the league.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3961 on: November 28, 2023, 05:20:17 PM »
I'm surprised we kept Martinez last summer but we did, he's the best keeper in the division.

I don't see why. There was no market for him, so even had he wanted to leave there was nowhere for him to go to.

The big difference between the two is that there are plenty of wealthy and potentially attractive teams with a DL-sized hold in their midfield. There weren't any with Emi-sized one in goal.

Surely he's miles better than Onana for one? Allison and Ederson fair enough aren't going anywhere and going back to Arsenal under Arteta never an option.

Agreed on Luiz, maybe Liverpool not an option as to be fair they seem to have refreshed their midfield successfully in one transfer window. He improves all the others without doubt.

Luiz is a fantastic player but he's not really as critical as Grealish was when he left us. Deano/Purslow made a mess of replacing him but I'd have full confidence that Emery wouldn't make the same mistakes if Luiz went elsewhere next summer.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3962 on: November 28, 2023, 05:29:56 PM »
I guess 40 years of following Villa has made me cynical and pessimistic, but when you ask 'why would he go to X' the answer is that they would probably pay him a shit load more money than we would.

That, plus we don't know what's going on with him personally. It might be that he thinks that playing for Arsenal might bump him up the international pecking order. He might be great mates with Martinelli and Gabriel Jesus and wants to spend more time hanging out in London with them. He might just think that a 90% chance of qualifying for the Champions League with Arsenal is a better bet than a 50% chance with Villa.

There are also plenty of good reasons why he'd want to stay, but it's not as if there aren't a number of factors that would go into any decision he had to make.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3963 on: November 28, 2023, 05:32:26 PM »
Probably better churrascarias in London as well.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3964 on: November 28, 2023, 05:35:49 PM »
I'm surprised we kept Martinez last summer but we did, he's the best keeper in the division.

I don't see why. There was no market for him, so even had he wanted to leave there was nowhere for him to go to.

The big difference between the two is that there are plenty of wealthy and potentially attractive teams with a DL-sized hold in their midfield. There weren't any with Emi-sized one in goal.

Surely he's miles better than Onana for one?

He is, but the Ajax Onana was miles better than the Man Utd Onana and when Ten Hag can sign the guy who was excellent for him before, for half of what we'd ask for Emi for then he's always going to go in that direction.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #3965 on: November 28, 2023, 05:36:43 PM »
Paint a perfect picture
Bring to life a vision in one's mind
The beautiful ones
Always smash the picture
Always, everytime

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #3966 on: November 28, 2023, 05:55:41 PM »
The only way Luiz goes is if we need a massive FFP lift.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3967 on: November 28, 2023, 05:59:07 PM »

Which I really don't believe we do. We made a small profit in the last set of accounts, and have since sold the likes of Archer and got people like Ings off the books. Plus I imagine Heck is like Scrooge McDuck from the Terrace View takings...

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #3968 on: November 28, 2023, 06:01:44 PM »
Dave, stop crushing my dreams.

Offline Stu

« Reply #3969 on: November 28, 2023, 06:04:11 PM »

Which I really don't believe we do. We made a small profit in the last set of accounts, and have since sold the likes of Archer and got people like Ings off the books. Plus I imagine Heck is like Scrooge McDuck from the Terrace View takings...

Pretty sure I saw a ballot for Terrace View tickets on the official site the other day. If so it must be really popular but can anyone shed any light on that? Is it packed out? Anyone been in there?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3970 on: November 28, 2023, 06:04:17 PM »
I’d be stunned if any key player left in January considering we have a legitimate chance to qualify for the CL next season. So I don’t see any deal being sanctioned by the club AKA Unai Emery. I don’t dismiss players might leave for stupid money or more likely in the summer if we have missed out on the CL.

If Arsenal really wanted him they could have got him £80m ago. They didn’t. So unless they think they are a midfielder away for £110m or so, which they’re not (more a top striker) then I think this is entirely media talk headed into the window than anything more concrete.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3971 on: November 28, 2023, 06:07:30 PM »

Pretty sure I saw a ballot for Terrace View tickets on the official site the other day. If so it must be really popular but can anyone shed any light on that? Is it packed out? Anyone been in there?
They are balloting because it’s not sold out or packed out. I went West Ham it was not very good and would not do it again unless I was desperate for a ticket and had no other way of getting one.

Offline Stu

« Reply #3972 on: November 28, 2023, 06:27:49 PM »

They are balloting because it’s not sold out or packed out. I went West Ham it was not very good and would not do it again unless I was desperate for a ticket and had no other way of getting one.

Do you mean they're balloting to create a sense of false scarcity?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3973 on: November 28, 2023, 06:41:22 PM »

Do you mean they're balloting to create a sense of false scarcity?
The ballot is free.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3974 on: November 28, 2023, 06:51:02 PM »
Unai: “Douglas is playing very good. He’s improved a lot, his commitment is amazing. I am very happy with him, and I want to keep him, of course. I think he’s happy with us. He’s coming on with his national team. And his performance like today was amazing, fantastic. I want him.”

That's good enough for me. Good luck to Arsenal selling the injured Thomas Partley who has missed 43 of their last 127 PL games.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 06:56:34 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal