collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[Today at 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494695 times)

Offline dekko

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #3945 on: November 28, 2023, 12:10:08 PM »
The self-defeatism of our fans is alarming. FFS there are rumours about almost every player out there who is  something more than decent. I know we are burdened by experience but we just need to calm down. Trust that our owners will tell whoever comes for any of out key players to fuck off.

Its not 'self defeatism' its being realistic - you cant tell another party to fuck off when you've got a release clause.  And chances are he's got one.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3946 on: November 28, 2023, 12:16:29 PM »
The self-defeatism of our fans is alarming. FFS there are rumours about almost every player out there who is  something more than decent. I know we are burdened by experience but we just need to calm down. Trust that our owners will tell whoever comes for any of out key players to fuck off.

Its not 'self defeatism' its being realistic - you cant tell another party to fuck off when you've got a release clause.  And chances are he's got one.

And I don't think there's anyone on here who isn't perfectly "calm" about the situation.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3947 on: November 28, 2023, 12:25:36 PM »

...........if they can.

I get your point and until this weekend I've not really thought it was an actual possibility.  But I must admit that I'm starting to wonder.  There's so much consistent reporting for it to be just a bit of skullduggery from other clubs trying to unsettle our progress.  I'm increasingly minded to believe that there could well be a genuine interest from at least 2 of the 3 clubs above us and a probable release clause.  The question will be is that clause 'low' enough for said clubs to pay it: they'd get a brilliant player and destabilise a genuine contender for the top 4 in one go.  And of course whether Luiz wants to leave.

Also, I found it a bit jarring that Emery was asked about it after the Spurs game.  It felt a very bold question from the reporter if there is nothing in it - we'd just gone 4th beating the 4th placed team so it wasn't like there was a paucity of questions or stuff to comment on already.  Did anybody ask Guardiola about Real Madrids rumoured interest in Halaand after their draw with Liverpool?  Nope.

So, yes absolutely tell them all fuck right off regardless of the fee on offer... if we can.  But if they can't, because the player / the players agent wants the move, well then prepare for us to be derailed, first with loads more rumour (it's only fecking November!), and possibly with the loss of yet another key player as we are properly on the ascent.  Again!

On the flip side, if this is about a new contract, please Villa, just get on with it and spare us another 2 months of speculation.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #3948 on: November 28, 2023, 01:11:45 PM »
I can remember being as surprised that Dougie had signed a new contract as I was when Grealish did, particularly as we were going nowhere under Gerrard. Makes sense there would be a release clause for him to commit to us, and it may be lower than we think.

My hope is that he recognises the direction we’re heading and wants to be part of it. If he goes, I have 100% confidence the club will already have plans to manage the change positively and Unai will have exactly what he wants. We haven’t seen that before.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #3949 on: November 28, 2023, 01:16:19 PM »
I don't think he's going anywhere for the moment, but to be honest, even if he did, though it would be a sad day because he's brilliant, it still wouldn't be the end of the world.

There's only really one person we absolutely cannot afford to lose, and that's Unai Emery.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3950 on: November 28, 2023, 02:38:31 PM »

And I don't think there's anyone on here who isn't perfectly "calm" about the situation.

Agreed, even my previous post about the media conspiring to unsettle him was largely tongue in cheek. However as Rigadon points out, the Dougie speculation does feel very persistent in comparison to Ollie, SJM, Kamara, Konsa, Emi etc.

Online AV84

« Reply #3951 on: November 28, 2023, 02:59:51 PM »
I don't know about the other teams but I don't see why we wouldn't believe that Arsenal want him, given they tired to sign him not that long ago, and despite their summer spending they haven't actually improved this season.

The two questions I'd have are 1) what does Dougie want, and 2) can Arsenal actually afford him in January. There's been several stories about them offering player plus cash, or having to sell someone else before they can bid.

Another thing worth noting is that we've been linked over the past few days with Tierney. Whether there's any truth, who knows, but a player plus cash deal for a player we're actually interested in is more likely than them just throwing their unwanted goods at us.

Offline Dave

« Reply #3952 on: November 28, 2023, 03:15:39 PM »
I don't know about the other teams but I don't see why we wouldn't believe that Arsenal want him, given they tired to sign him not that long ago, and despite their summer spending they haven't actually improved this season.

Indeed. It would hardly be surprising if other teams want to buy him, given he's really, really good. Why on earth wouldn't they want to sign him?

Online AV84

« Reply #3953 on: November 28, 2023, 03:23:23 PM »

Indeed. It would hardly be surprising if other teams want to buy him, given he's really, really good. Why on earth wouldn't they want to sign him?

It wouldn't be surprising if they were all interested, but there's certainly more weight to the Arsenal links given they've actively tried to buy him before. The other ones could simply be the standard rumours that pop up when a "lesser" team has a good spell. Or it could be Man City and Liverpool messing with Arsenal, trying to up the price a bit. Could be any number of things, but as far as I'm concerned the Arsenal one is probably the only one worth keeping half an eye on.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3954 on: November 28, 2023, 03:47:16 PM »
He won't be going anywhere in January anyway. He probably has a release clause built into his new contract, would have been silly not to let's be honest. Another reason to strengthen our midfield 'roster' this January if we could. If the worse were to happen next summer then we have someone bedded down in the club. I don't think Emery trusts Tielemans in that double pivot yet, Luiz excels there obviously.

I'm surprised we kept Martinez last summer but we did, he's the best keeper in the division. Luiz might well be very settled with us too, back in Brazil squad, European club football for the first time and playing at a very high level with an elite coach.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #3955 on: November 28, 2023, 04:20:18 PM »
My biggest hope is that he seems with feet firm on the ground and has worked hard to get where he is, a top player at a top club, playing every minute. That is not given and it took a while for him.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #3956 on: November 28, 2023, 04:26:50 PM »
Surely even with a release clause it's still the player's decision if/when an offer comes in that matches or betters that clause? I would be amazed if he went in January and i suspect [assuming there is a release clause] a lot will depend on if we are in Europe and what competition we are in if he decides to leave in the Summer.

Offline Dave

« Reply #3957 on: November 28, 2023, 04:30:25 PM »
I'm surprised we kept Martinez last summer but we did, he's the best keeper in the division.

I don't see why. There was no market for him, so even had he wanted to leave there was nowhere for him to go to.

The big difference between the two is that there are plenty of wealthy and potentially attractive teams with a DL-sized hold in their midfield. There weren't any with Emi-sized one in goal. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3958 on: November 28, 2023, 04:36:42 PM »
I'm surprised we kept Martinez last summer but we did, he's the best keeper in the division.

I don't see why. There was no market for him, so even had he wanted to leave there was nowhere for him to go to.

The big difference between the two is that there are plenty of wealthy and potentially attractive teams with a DL-sized hold in their midfield. There weren't any with Emi-sized one in goal. 

There arguably wasn't a Raya sized hole at Arsenal, but they still went out and got him. Not that I think Emi would have gone back there. The good thing now is that we've got the owners who are minted enough to stand up to potential buyers, and a manager ably demonstrating that players can achieve their ambitions here. I hope we absolutely thunder-funeral Arsenal, with a Luiz masterclass. Nothing would say "why would he go there" like finishing the year above them.

Offline Dave

« Reply #3959 on: November 28, 2023, 04:43:40 PM »

There arguably wasn't a Raya sized hole at Arsenal, but they still went out and got him.

True, but if Brentford had been in a position to demand the £80m+ we'd have asked for Emi then Raya would still be there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal