collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494475 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #2670 on: September 01, 2022, 03:42:34 PM »
The first player since Westwood we will have sold for a free higher than we paid.

Online Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #2671 on: September 01, 2022, 03:49:56 PM »
We have wasted his talent for the last 3 seasons by playing him out of position, and then not playing him when we actually signed someone to complement him. He'll go to any one of the clubs (most of which are far more successful than us at the moment) that have been linked with him and look excellent - yet another example of a shocking lack of talent development/player management from the club. Arsenal will put him alongside Partey in the midfield long term, and he'll be really effective. Idrissa Gueye mark 2.

No complaints from me towards the player - to be fair, being sat on the bench watching Ramsey and McGinn turn in stinker after stinker and keep playing ahead of you is enough to make anyone consider their options.

I hope we don't end up selling, but either way, the fact its come to this with an unhappy player wanting to leave on deadline day or leaving for free next window, still represents a massive failure from the club. This has almost pissed me off more than the performances of late, as off the pitch is one of the rare areas we've been decent.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 03:51:38 PM by Keeno »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2672 on: September 01, 2022, 03:52:05 PM »
The first player since Westwood we will have sold for a free higher than we paid.

Apart from Targett, Sinclair and Bacuna (was raised on the transfer thread last night)

Online danno

« Reply #2673 on: September 01, 2022, 03:54:42 PM »
Im fairly sure he's going just because he's finally gotten good at taking corners.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2674 on: September 01, 2022, 03:57:12 PM »
Some interesting logic, complaints about not signing a certain level of player, then mocked when enquiring about that level of player.

There's a difference between enquiring and submitting derisory bids that don't have a hope of being accepted. We rightly used to take the piss out of Ellis for doing the same, so it shouldn't be out of bounds to comment on it when we appear to do it now.

Weren't the bids for Smith-Rowe reportedly £40m or so?

He's a decent player, but I'd hardly call that derisory.

£25m then went back with £30m.

And you think that £30m for a 21 year old with a couple of dozen first team appearances is "derisory"?

I think he only had a year left on his deal too. Presumably his agent let him know what Villa were prepared to pay him and he got the deal he wanted.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2675 on: September 01, 2022, 04:00:19 PM »
He was signed as a defensive midfielder, he just wasn't very good at it. Or indeed, much else, other than his newly acquired skill of scoring from corners.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2676 on: September 01, 2022, 04:00:24 PM »

Apart from Targett, Sinclair and Bacuna (was raised on the transfer thread last night)

I can't imagine Chukwumeka cost us £20m from Northampton either.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2677 on: September 01, 2022, 04:01:01 PM »

I think he only had a year left on his deal too. Presumably his agent let him know what Villa were prepared to pay him and he got the deal he wanted.

He had two years left at the time.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2678 on: September 01, 2022, 04:04:50 PM »
We have wasted his talent for the last 3 seasons by playing him out of position, and then not playing him when we actually signed someone to complement him. He'll go to any one of the clubs (most of which are far more successful than us at the moment) that have been linked with him and look excellent - yet another example of a shocking lack of talent development/player management from the club. Arsenal will put him alongside Partey in the midfield long term, and he'll be really effective. Idrissa Gueye mark 2.

No complaints from me towards the player - to be fair, being sat on the bench watching Ramsey and McGinn turn in stinker after stinker and keep playing ahead of you is enough to make anyone consider their options.

I hope we don't end up selling, but either way, the fact its come to this with an unhappy player wanting to leave on deadline day or leaving for free next window, still represents a massive failure from the club. This has almost pissed me off more than the performances of late, as off the pitch is one of the rare areas we've been decent.

Luiz has played over 100 league games for us in the past three and a bit seasons. There are valid concerns about our inability to develop him as a player (could say same for likes of Konsa and Watkins) but he got every chance on match day.

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #2679 on: September 01, 2022, 04:09:34 PM »
If it's true Arsenal are chasing him,it won't be hard to catch him

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2680 on: September 01, 2022, 04:10:56 PM »
Do people honestly think we offered £25m for ESR and then upped it to £30m by pulling figures out of the air rather than those offers being based on discussions we'd had with his agent?

Online Goldenballs

« Reply #2681 on: September 01, 2022, 04:14:52 PM »
Do people honestly think we offered £25m for ESR and then upped it to £30m by pulling figures out of the air rather than those offers being based on discussions we'd had with his agent?

We got played like a fiddle.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2682 on: September 01, 2022, 04:15:32 PM »
I doubt we'd have thought a £30m bid for Ramsey last summer was derisory. We may not have accepted it, but after a nearly identical number of top flight games as ESR it would have struck me as a decent offer.

Online KRS

« Reply #2683 on: September 01, 2022, 04:16:02 PM »
SSN getting overly excited that Arsenal are improving their offer from £20m to £25m despite the club saying he’s not for sale.

Offline saint13

« Reply #2684 on: September 01, 2022, 04:17:46 PM »
I dont rate him. They wil take the £25m. More of a concern is our transfer strategy to this point that has left us way short in midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal