collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 11:05:25 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:01:05 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 10:39:43 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by Ian.
[Today at 10:37:56 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:17:13 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494564 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #2655 on: September 01, 2022, 01:59:11 PM »
And for all of the "our midfield is shit and we need to buy loads of better players", the talk has been of Luiz going to one of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Roma or Juventus.

That rather suggests that the problem is us rather than him.

I think that's a reach personally. He's in the final year of his contract so £20m is nothing for a 24 year old player with three years solid experience, and he's probably just about demonstrated that he's got enough talent to work with. Man City had two years when they could have reclaimed him but chose not to. I'd like him to stay but won't be heartbroken if he goes.

richtheholtender

« Reply #2656 on: September 01, 2022, 02:00:11 PM »
We've got these "Serious owners" who "mean business" so why are we in a position where Joe, Carney and now appears to be Dougie have/want to leave. Add to that ESR turning us down last year, Ward Prowse and Sarr hardly banging the door down to join.

That attempt to buy Smith-Rowe was fucking laughable. As if he was going to leave Arsenal to come here.

I wonder hhow much time we've wasted chasing unachievable transfer targets

It's certainly says a lot about the bigger picture

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2657 on: September 01, 2022, 02:00:12 PM »
Some interesting logic, complaints about not signing a certain level of player, then mocked when enquiring about that level of player.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #2658 on: September 01, 2022, 02:01:45 PM »

Or he has the same agent as Leandro Bacuna. No way he is anything more than cover for any of those teams.

What has Bacuna got to do with it?

Got linked with clubs much higher up the chain than he was likely to play for. Reo Coker was another.

Was he? Who were those clubs?

Offline Risso

« Reply #2659 on: September 01, 2022, 02:03:36 PM »
Some interesting logic, complaints about not signing a certain level of player, then mocked when enquiring about that level of player.

There's a difference between enquiring and submitting derisory bids that don't have a hope of being accepted. We rightly used to take the piss out of Ellis for doing the same, so it shouldn't be out of bounds to comment on it when we appear to do it now.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2660 on: September 01, 2022, 02:03:36 PM »
We've got these "Serious owners" who "mean business" so why are we in a position where Joe, Carney and now appears to be Dougie have/want to leave. Add to that ESR turning us down last year, Ward Prowse and Sarr hardly banging the door down to join.

boring

Repetitive, but to some extent valid.  We will shortly find out what the clubs actual aims are, when they appoint the next manager - I don't think we can use transfer activity in the last couple of weeks as a marker anymore because it's been obvious the manager is on his bike.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2661 on: September 01, 2022, 02:09:11 PM »

There's a difference between enquiring and submitting derisory bids that don't have a hope of being accepted. We rightly used to take the piss out of Ellis for doing the same, so it shouldn't be out of bounds to comment on it when we appear to do it now.

Weren't the bids for Smith-Rowe reportedly £40m or so?

He's a decent player, but I'd hardly call that derisory.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #2662 on: September 01, 2022, 02:10:49 PM »

I'm not sure offering £30m or more for someone with about 20 top flight appearances at the time was derisory.

richtheholtender

« Reply #2663 on: September 01, 2022, 02:12:27 PM »

I'm not sure offering £30m or more for a 19 year old with about 20 top flight appearances at the time was derisory.

I don't know. We've just seen a young defender go to Chelsea for £70 million or so who only played 7 times last year

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #2664 on: September 01, 2022, 02:15:48 PM »
The fact that Chelsea are over paying this year for a player has little to do with what we offered for a different player a year ago.

Online Dave

« Reply #2665 on: September 01, 2022, 02:16:10 PM »

I'm not sure offering £30m or more for a 19 year old with about 20 top flight appearances at the time was derisory.

I don't know. We've just seen a young defender go to Chelsea for £70 million or so who only played 7 times last year

I'm not sure what you're suggesting? That they should have played him with his broken leg? Or that he's overpriced because he can't play with a broken leg?

Offline Risso

« Reply #2666 on: September 01, 2022, 02:57:50 PM »

£25m then went back with £30m.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #2667 on: September 01, 2022, 03:08:21 PM »
And yet just over a week ago Luiz was poised to sign a new contract. Perhaps he's less than enamoured with Gerrard's antics and changed his mind?

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #2668 on: September 01, 2022, 03:31:05 PM »
Sky Report says It will be a late one if it does get done. There are mounting problems in midfield, so Mikel Arteta admitted he is looking for options with Douglas Luiz one of those options. Arteta worked with him at Manchester City. He wants to move to Arsenal. It’s worth noting the likes of Atletico Madrid, Liverpool and Juventus have shown interest

Online Dave

« Reply #2669 on: September 01, 2022, 03:34:16 PM »

£25m then went back with £30m.

And you think that £30m for a 21 year old with a couple of dozen first team appearances is "derisory"?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal