collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494166 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #2355 on: February 28, 2022, 10:44:59 AM »
He was bought as a defensive midfilder though. The fact that he isn't very good at it has now got people saying that he's more effective further forward. Where's the evidence for that?

When Nakamba plays Luiz has looked more effective, Man City earlier in the season was an example.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2356 on: February 28, 2022, 02:20:21 PM »
I think we signed him more as a Pirlo than a Makelele but have since tried to make him play more like the latter. The current problem is that his lack of confidence in his tracking and battling ability has knocked him back generally and now things that came naturally when he joined just aren't there.

At his best he's great at taking 1-2 touches, getting his head up and spotting space to play someone into but for the last month or 2 (in particular) his touch has completely abandoned him. Right now I reckon most of us could trap a ball as well as he does and as a result he's changed how he's playing because he doesn't trust his basic skill. So now he plays a lot more blind passes (and gives away cheap possession as a result) or he's finding himself with no space because if a heavy touch and forces himself into the physical battle against players much more suited to it than he is.

He desperately needs a rest but also he needs someone on the training ground with him firing passes (and I mean firing them, force him to work hard on the control) for him to take 1 touch and spread it, get him doing it for 30-40minutes at a time just to get that muscle memory back.

I'm not gonig to write him off though, anyone that can sidefoot pass into the top corner from 20-25yards (Watford was it?) has the ability to be much better than we've seen for the last few months and it's up to the club to work out how they get him back to that.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2357 on: February 28, 2022, 03:37:24 PM »
I think we signed him more as a Pirlo than a Makelele but have since tried to make him play more like the latter. The current problem is that his lack of confidence in his tracking and battling ability has knocked him back generally and now things that came naturally when he joined just aren't there.
At his best he's great at taking 1-2 touches, getting his head up and spotting space to play someone into but for the last month or 2 (in particular) his touch has completely abandoned him. Right now I reckon most of us could trap a ball as well as he does and as a result he's changed how he's playing because he doesn't trust his basic skill. So now he plays a lot more blind passes (and gives away cheap possession as a result) or he's finding himself with no space because if a heavy touch and forces himself into the physical battle against players much more suited to it than he is.
He desperately needs a rest but also he needs someone on the training ground with him firing passes (and I mean firing them, force him to work hard on the control) for him to take 1 touch and spread it, get him doing it for 30-40minutes at a time just to get that muscle memory back.
I'm not going to write him off though, anyone that can sidefoot pass into the top corner from 20-25yards (Watford was it?) has the ability to be much better than we've seen for the last few months and it's up to the club to work out how they get him back to that.
All well and good. At the moment - and for most of his time here, actually - he has lacked dynamism: he looks slow and lacking energy; and positionally he's suspect.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2358 on: February 28, 2022, 03:39:09 PM »

I'm not gonig to write him off though, anyone that can sidefoot pass into the top corner from 20-25yards (Watford was it?) has the ability to be much better than we've seen for the last few months and it's up to the club to work out how they get him back to that.

I agree with that Paul - I am a Luiz fan - but with twelve months left on his contract there is limited time to re-build him and get the benefit.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2359 on: February 28, 2022, 04:21:38 PM »

Not sure which goal you're thinking about to be honest. The Watford one was from about 6 yards, and the Norwich and Bounemouth goals he put his laces through both of them.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2360 on: February 28, 2022, 04:28:47 PM »

Not sure which goal you're thinking about to be honest. The Watford one was from about 6 yards, and the Norwich and Bounemouth goals he put his laces through both of them.

Bournemouth I went back and checked, I wouldn't say it was laces through, it was much more controlled.

Offline Risso

« Reply #2361 on: February 28, 2022, 04:39:07 PM »

Bournemouth I went back and checked, I wouldn't say it was laces through, it was much more controlled.

Two and a half years ago now though. He's starting to move into John Jensen territory!

Online boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2362 on: February 28, 2022, 04:40:19 PM »
I think that the point about him needing a rest is an important one. He didn't really get a break at all in the summer - he went with the Brazil national team to the Copa America and then to the Olympics. He basically hasn't has a decent break since the summer of 2020, and that was a shortened one because of Covid.

I have been a huge fan of his, but I can't argue with any sincerity that he deserves to be starting on current form. Nor that we should hold on to him at all costs, should a few clubs be interested in him. The stage that our club is at is that we buy promising players, turn them into better ones and the few that we can live without can be sold for a profit. Doug, and maybe Matty Cash if the Madrid interest is real, could be prime examples of how we can fund the next wave of promising players that will make us a better team.

I am sure Doug will be a top-level player for most of his career, as when he is on form he's a wonderful footballer. It's just he hasn't found the consistancy yet. I think in the right system he could look brilliant, but I don't think we play that way at the moment.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2363 on: February 28, 2022, 04:50:23 PM »

Two and a half years ago now though. He's starting to move into John Jensen territory!

I know, but my point is that we saw through that season, particularly after the restart, and for first months of last year that there's a very good player with all the ingredients to be world class in there but the wheels have come off for now and he just needs someone to get him back to basics and playing his natural game.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2364 on: February 28, 2022, 05:07:11 PM »

I know, but my point is that we saw through that season, particularly after the restart, and for first months of last year that there's a very good player with all the ingredients to be world class in there but the wheels have come off for now and he just needs someone to get him back to basics and playing his natural game.

I also think there may be an element of him thinking it's time to move on. I'm not saying I don't think he's putting effort in, just that when you're not fully commited mentally is starts to show.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #2365 on: March 02, 2022, 02:09:55 AM »
He's just stale and out of form.

He needs resting for a couple of weeks for his own benefit.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2366 on: March 02, 2022, 07:09:07 AM »

I thought you was about to say, stale and out of date.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2367 on: March 02, 2022, 09:14:10 AM »
Loved up and out of form.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2368 on: March 02, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »

No, that's the Elvis impersonator on Blackpool pier.

Offline Risso

« Reply #2369 on: March 02, 2022, 10:22:00 AM »

No, that's the Elvis impersonator on Blackpool pier.

Quoting Manics lyrics, I used to like you. *sad face*

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal