collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:23:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:23:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:20:07 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by jon collett
[Today at 08:19:03 PM]

Re: Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 08:17:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Goldenballs
[Today at 08:15:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by SamTheMouse
[Today at 08:14:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Skerra
[Today at 08:11:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 494089 times)

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #2340 on: February 27, 2022, 06:48:55 PM »
For those that were lucky enough to be there - or watch on a stream - what was Bissouma like yesterday ? Worth the money or not ?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2341 on: February 27, 2022, 06:56:26 PM »
For those that were lucky enough to be there - or watch on a stream - what was Bissouma like yesterday ? Worth the money or not ?

He was ok. But you wouldn’t make a decision based on one game but instead an entire body of work. And in that position he would be head and shoulders better than anything we have today.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2342 on: February 27, 2022, 07:56:34 PM »

I think he's overrated and there's better in europe. This is type of signing we were making under O'Neill.

He does have presence which we need infront of defence but he isn't that good a footballer imo in terms of passing and decision making. Also gifted goals to Man. United and Burnley in recent weeks.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2343 on: February 27, 2022, 08:35:08 PM »
I think he’s a great player who needs a break from the team. That will make or break him

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2344 on: February 27, 2022, 08:46:43 PM »
I think he is the logical player to sell when we sign a proper DM (with Nakamba as his understudy).

I’d accept anything above £25m but would not be surprised if he was later sold for £50m.  I think he had more gears than say SJM but is being shackled by the system and the position he is being asked to play. I know it is illogical but SJM feels closer to the soul of our team than Luiz despite me thinking Luiz has a higher ceiling.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #2345 on: February 27, 2022, 09:57:13 PM »
I think he is the logical player to sell when we sign a proper DM (with Nakamba as his understudy).

I’d accept anything above £25m but would not be surprised if he was later sold for £50m.  I think he had more gears than say SJM but is being shackled by the system and the position he is being asked to play. I know it is illogical but SJM feels closer to the soul of our team than Luiz despite me thinking Luiz has a higher ceiling.

Yeah, he has looked very good at times, but overall he has not impressed. The lack of a proper DCM has hindered his progress, but SG needs to get a tune out him soon, or he is off. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2346 on: February 27, 2022, 09:59:48 PM »
He was bought as a defensive midfilder though. The fact that he isn't very good at it has now got people saying that he's more effective further forward. Where's the evidence for that?

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2347 on: February 27, 2022, 10:12:14 PM »
He was bought as a defensive midfilder though. The fact that he isn't very good at it has now got people saying that he's more effective further forward. Where's the evidence for that?

I think he will come good as a defensive-ish midfielder, just not the only one in the team. He’d be ideal in a double pivot or in a three where one goes and two stay.  At the moment he is too isolated and I think his confidence is shot.  A change of clubs might get him out of his funk.  We should turn a nice profit, even with one years left, so everyone should be pretty happy.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #2348 on: February 27, 2022, 10:19:19 PM »

I take your point, and there is no evidence.

But off the top my head we have had Mark Draper, Ashley Westwood, Jordan Veretout, Idrissa Gueye and on and on as derided defensive midfielders. In fact Stiliyan Petrov came under a lot of stick until he was sainted.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2349 on: February 27, 2022, 10:21:22 PM »

We quite often suggest moving a non-performer further forward. It's being suggested with Chambers. No idea why. If anything, we've had more success historically with doing the opposite. Evans, McGrath, Southgate, a plethora of ex-wingers at fullback, all moved backwards. Perhaps Luiz should have a go at centre half?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2350 on: February 27, 2022, 11:30:28 PM »

We're not Brazil but they play him as advanced in a double pivot given Casemiro of Real Madrid always starts as their DM and they also have Fabinho.

If they were all fit then Nakamba-Luiz-McGinn is likely what Gerrard would put out but ultimately Ramsey having a very good run of form makes it very difficult to leave him out unless you play him as one of the two off the striker.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #2351 on: February 27, 2022, 11:42:29 PM »

We're not Brazil but they play him as advanced in a double pivot given Casemiro of Real Madrid always starts as their DM and they also have Fabinho.

If they were all fit then Nakamba-Luiz-McGinn is likely what Gerrard would put out but ultimately Ramsey having a very good run of form makes it very difficult to leave him out unless you play him as one of the two off the striker.

You can't blame the geezer if he doesn't fancy being played advanced in a double pivot, tbf.

These guys earn shedloads, but this is a bridge too far. Also, it could hurt him in the end. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2352 on: February 28, 2022, 12:42:01 AM »

Was he though? I'm not the best on here at understanding tactics the way paul_e does for example, but defensive midfielder as a term is often a bit reductive in context of the modern game when they're all expected to be able to play

Online jwarry

« Reply #2353 on: February 28, 2022, 08:31:20 AM »
It’s interesting isn’t it that when bought Doug he was only 20/21, just a year older than Jacob and 2 years older than a Chuck and Tim and get we worry about their ages

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2354 on: February 28, 2022, 09:06:20 AM »

Was he though? I'm not the best on here at understanding tactics the way paul_e does for example, but defensive midfielder as a term is often a bit reductive in context of the modern game when they're all expected to be able to play

It's what he was was described as when we bought him. Whatever he is/is supposed to be, he's been average at best for most of the time he's been here. If he is better when played further forward, well that's a bit of hard luck because Ramsey and McGinn are much better there than him.  I'm fairly certain he'll be sold in the summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal