collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 473066 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #900 on: January 25, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
I think the idea with Drinkwater is to use his experience in the 1st half of games to make sure we go in at halftime still in the match.  this gives confidence to the team that they can come out in the 2nd half believing they can get something out of the game.  After a bright start to the season, it was becoming evident that the team was losing belief if they went behind.

Haven't we gone behind in the three games Drinky has started? We only improved in the last two when he went off. We should never have taken a gamble at this stage of the season on a player so unfit. Trying to find positives in his performances thus far is really grasping at straws, they have verged from catastrophic to very poor let's be honest.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #901 on: January 26, 2020, 01:34:49 PM »
I think the idea with Drinkwater is to use his experience in the 1st half of games to make sure we go in at halftime still in the match.  this gives confidence to the team that they can come out in the 2nd half believing they can get something out of the game.  After a bright start to the season, it was becoming evident that the team was losing belief if they went behind.

Haven't we gone behind in the three games Drinky has started? We only improved in the last two when he went off. We should never have taken a gamble at this stage of the season on a player so unfit. Trying to find positives in his performances thus far is really grasping at straws, they have verged from catastrophic to very poor let's be honest.

In the last two games we have gone behind in the 1st half but still been in the game and came out 2nd half to take points from both games.  From the Leicester league game we looked as though the game was lost once we went behind.  Our midfield looked too inexperienced and left us with nothing to bring on later in the game to change it.  I am not saying that Drinkwater was the best to bring in to cover our shortcomings but I could see the question that needed answering.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #902 on: January 26, 2020, 04:54:57 PM »

The comeback against Watford should give them the belief.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #903 on: January 26, 2020, 04:58:44 PM »

In the last two games we have gone behind in the 1st half but still been in the game and came out 2nd half to take points from both games.  From the Leicester league game we looked as though the game was lost once we went behind.  Our midfield looked too inexperienced and left us with nothing to bring on later in the game to change it.  I am not saying that Drinkwater was the best to bring in to cover our shortcomings but I could see the question that needed answering.

How has he answered that question or used his experience to help?  He's been awful in every game he's played, then after he gets subbed, we get better.  Even Dean Smith admitted he took him off against Watford as it "wasn't his game".

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #904 on: January 26, 2020, 06:42:00 PM »

How has he answered that question or used his experience to help?  He's been awful in every game he's played, then after he gets subbed, we get better.  Even Dean Smith admitted he took him off against Watford as it "wasn't his game".

He was marginally better last time around, but I tend to agree with you on this. Take him off, we look better.

I appreciate he's not match fit, but get him that way with the U23s, don't try to do it in actual meaningful fixtures while we are struggling for survival, we can't afford it.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #905 on: January 26, 2020, 06:56:00 PM »
Well if you're both right, then Smith is making a good job of changing things up! 😉

Offline Ugo

« Reply #906 on: January 29, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »
Credit to this guy. One or two stray passes aside he looked real quality last night. Time on the ball, a nice touch and just looks “a player”.

Has been slated by a fair few but he is just 21 and will invariably make mistakes and have poor games. He is the same age as “promising youngsters” Keinan Davis and Callum O’Hare yet seems a much more mature footballer.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #907 on: January 29, 2020, 10:24:36 AM »
I like him a lot.  He's by no means perfect, but he just oozes natural ability.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #908 on: January 29, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »
And had energy right to the end.  That's encouraging as we may never need to think about Drinkwater if he keeps that up.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #909 on: January 29, 2020, 11:50:59 AM »
Luiz has a lot of talent, and looks much better playing further forward as he can pick a pass.  His big problem is he seems a bit thick - regularly gives away needless free kicks within 30 yards of the goal and last night got himself booked for kicking the ball away shortly after Mike Dean had booked Konsa for throwing the ball away.   It's very frustrating, but if he can learn form his mistakes and apply a bit more intelligence he could be a top player.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #910 on: January 29, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »

Appreciate that this is a very simplistic (minimal context) way of looking at it, but results with Nakamba and Luiz as the central midfielders in our 3-4-3:

Burnley - Won 2-1
Leicester - Drew 1-1
Brighton - Won 1-0 (from 70 minutes)
Watford - Won 2-0 (from 55 minutes)
Leicester - Won 2-1

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #911 on: January 29, 2020, 12:40:51 PM »
I like him a lot.  He's by no means perfect, but he just oozes natural ability.

Totally agree with you but he's seems to be getting better l really like him.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #912 on: January 29, 2020, 12:49:23 PM »
Luiz has a lot of talent, and looks much better playing further forward as he can pick a pass.  His big problem is he seems a bit thick - regularly gives away needless free kicks within 30 yards of the goal and last night got himself booked for kicking the ball away shortly after Mike Dean had booked Konsa for throwing the ball away.   It's very frustrating, but if he can learn form his mistakes and apply a bit more intelligence he could be a top player.

I'd argue it was a booking worth having.

It's about time we use the tactics everyone else does. Break up the play, waste time etc.

What irritated me was that not a minute after, they had players not retreating when we had a free-kick and thus obstructing the flow, they should have been booked too. However, Mike Dean is just a twat so I should realise.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #913 on: January 29, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »
I take your point Drummond but if he wanted to delay Leicester he could have just stood over the ball to stop them taking it quickly like they were doing to us.  That rarely seems to elicit a booking. 

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #914 on: January 29, 2020, 08:18:59 PM »
Brilliant last night, I thought. Took the game to them. Yeah, does things that betray his years, but I think he's going to be huge. We have to stay up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal