collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 491120 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #3270 on: January 01, 2023, 08:18:52 PM »
This guy is on the verge of being world-class.
Dean Smith made the move and slowly developed him and he's a fantastic signing, and he's already proving his worth under Emery's tutelage. Emery has really made an impression I feel with Luiz as he's gone up another level since the restart has he not?
I have only read and seen brief highlights of the Liverpool matches (due to Christmas) I see that he set up the goal against Liverpool, and against Tottenham today I watched the match on screen and he started it all off to get the goal with a shot that Lloris fumbled before scoring an absolutely sublime midfielders goal.
The way he got into the box is something that is much needed, and we have to salute this guy because he's only going to get better.
Wonderful improving midfielder and I have fingers crossed he's not badly injured.
What's made the difference is putting Kamara alongside him. Gerrard couldn't get the best  out of either of them because of his game tactics and management; Emery is dong so.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3271 on: January 01, 2023, 09:13:05 PM »
Dean Smith made the move and slowly developed him and he's a fantastic signing, and he's already proving his worth under Emery's tutelage. Emery has really made an impression I feel with Luiz as he's gone up another level since the restart has he not?
I have only read and seen brief highlights of the Liverpool matches (due to Christmas) I see that he set up the goal against Liverpool, and against Tottenham today I watched the match on screen and he started it all off to get the goal with a shot that Lloris fumbled before scoring an absolutely sublime midfielders goal.
The way he got into the box is something that is much needed, and we have to salute this guy because he's only going to get better.
Wonderful improving midfielder and I have fingers crossed he's not badly injured.
What's made the difference is putting Kamara alongside him. Gerrard couldn't get the best  out of either of them because of his game tactics and management; Emery is dong so.

I suspect Emery has given them jobs instead of positions because they're both free to drift around in midfield and fill gaps as needed. For Kamara is a side-to-side drift where he's always free to fill the most dangerous gap for the opposition to attack and it means he's always where we need him to be. For Doug it's more vertical, at times he drops in to defence to add a body or give an option for a pass but other times he'll follow his own pass up field (as he did for his goal) and he seems to thrive in the freedom it gives him to just control the play. I reckon playercam footage of both of them from today would be a masterclass in how to play as a modern 2 man midfield.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3272 on: January 01, 2023, 09:31:06 PM »

I suspect Emery has given them jobs instead of positions because they're both free to drift around in midfield and fill gaps as needed. For Kamara is a side-to-side drift where he's always free to fill the most dangerous gap for the opposition to attack and it means he's always where we need him to be. For Doug it's more vertical, at times he drops in to defence to add a body or give an option for a pass but other times he'll follow his own pass up field (as he did for his goal) and he seems to thrive in the freedom it gives him to just control the play. I reckon playercam footage of both of them from today would be a masterclass in how to play as a modern 2 man midfield.
Yes and they complemented each other so well.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3273 on: January 01, 2023, 09:38:20 PM »
Dougie and Kamara what a pair they are brilliant.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #3274 on: January 01, 2023, 09:46:21 PM »
I like Doug but he is nowhere near world class.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3275 on: January 01, 2023, 10:06:34 PM »
He was fucking brilliant today, really excellent.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3276 on: January 01, 2023, 10:13:03 PM »
I like Doug but he is nowhere near world class.

I think he has the ability to become world class, his touch, vision and passing range are superb but he can be a bit 'lax' which leads to him giving away cheap posession if teams press him in the right way. With experience that is happening less often and he's added set pieces and goals to his game recently so he is working on his game. I think he'll get there in another year or 2 so long as he keeps putting the work in.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3277 on: January 01, 2023, 10:14:12 PM »
He was awful in the first half against Liverpool, constantly giving the ball away, but then improved greatly second half. He was excellent for the whole match today, so he just needs to hit those heights consistently. Luiz and Kamara is a proper pairing, hard to think of a midfield duo we've had with that much combined ability. Probably not seen since the Sylla/El Ahmadi days ;)

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3278 on: January 01, 2023, 10:23:37 PM »
He was awful in the first half against Liverpool, constantly giving the ball away, but then improved greatly second half. He was excellent for the whole match today, so he just needs to hit those heights consistently. Luiz and Kamara is a proper pairing, hard to think of a midfield duo we've had with that much combined ability. Probably not seen since the Sylla/El Ahmadi days ;)

Yep, the first half vs Liverpool is what he needs to cut out of his game, he looked 'leggy' and complacent. He was, along with everyone else, poor against Newcastle as well but otherwise I think he's had a good season, Even Fulham he was playing pretty well before the ridiculous red card.

As a pairing I think they'll be the best since Milner and Petrov if they stay together for the rest of the season. As I said on a thread earlier, if you add in Tim, JJ and maybe 1-2 others I can honestly see us going from no midfield to one of the best sets of midfielders in the country over the next 6-12months.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #3279 on: January 01, 2023, 10:29:56 PM »

Yep, the first half vs Liverpool is what he needs to cut out of his game, he looked 'leggy' and complacent. He was, along with everyone else, poor against Newcastle as well but otherwise I think he's had a good season, Even Fulham he was playing pretty well before the ridiculous red card.

As a pairing I think they'll be the best since Milner and Petrov if they stay together for the rest of the season. As I said on a thread earlier, if you add in Tim, JJ and maybe 1-2 others I can honestly see us going from no midfield to one of the best sets of midfielders in the country over the next 6-12months.

I didn't see the match versus Liverpool or much other than the goal (due to Christmas) however the reason he would look leggy is due to a long time since he played competitively due to the world cup.
He can be afforded that.
Made the goal didn't he?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #3280 on: January 01, 2023, 10:50:08 PM »

Boateng/Taylor.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #3281 on: January 01, 2023, 10:53:19 PM »
Sylla/El Ahmadi. Fucking hell. It's a wonder we're still here, really.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3282 on: January 01, 2023, 11:13:34 PM »
Brilliant today. I’ve always rated Doug, but if we get him in the right role I think he’ll be tremendous.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3283 on: January 01, 2023, 11:17:26 PM »
When he first broke in and scored a couple of belters it looked like that more advanced role would be best for him. Then he went back to a DM role that really didn’t suit him. But he did well after the Covid break and it somehow became his position. But we all saw that it really wasn’t. Now with Kamara we are seeing Doug flourish in a more conventional midfield role. He was excellent today.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #3284 on: January 02, 2023, 12:02:47 AM »
Have been a fan of Douglas Luiz since day one. Delighted to see him shine with Kamara.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal