collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 487825 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #2100 on: December 15, 2021, 12:24:50 PM »
I know it was "only Norwich" but I thought he was really good last night. Our passing and interchanges between players was great, especially the midfield.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #2101 on: January 10, 2022, 01:39:01 PM »
I see he only has 18 months left on his contract. Is this an indication the club don't want to keep him? If he doesn't get a new contact soon I guess he's away in the Summer, seems a shame.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2102 on: January 10, 2022, 02:22:08 PM »
I see he only has 18 months left on his contract. Is this an indication the club don't want to keep him? If he doesn't get a new contact soon I guess he's away in the Summer, seems a shame.

This summer and 12 months left on his contract is not the ideal time to sell so more likely he is not signing a new contract.

Shame if true but we’ve definitely had our monies worth.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2103 on: January 10, 2022, 02:25:43 PM »
I'll be sorry if he leaves. He may struggle at times with consistency, but he's still young and he has a rare mark of class about him.

I fully expect him to be dominating games for a Champions League contender in a few years time, I'd rather it was us.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #2104 on: January 10, 2022, 02:36:43 PM »
If ditching him for upwards of £20m lets us spend big on a player like Bissouma then more than happy to ditch.

Doesn't do anything particularly well, and no consistency.  Less impact in terms of winning matches than either of the much maligned El Ghazi and Trezeguet, and less effective as a defensive midfielder than Nakamba.

Offline Randy Gurner

« Reply #2105 on: January 10, 2022, 02:43:19 PM »
I'll be sorry if he leaves. He may struggle at times with consistency, but he's still young and he has a rare mark of class about him.

I fully expect him to be dominating games for a Champions League contender in a few years time, I'd rather it was us.

I agree, he's a class act and I'd love to see him reach his full potential at the Villa, but IF he's not excited about the current upgrade in players and is making it clear that he doesn't want to sign a new contract then we should give Sansom / Ramsey / McGinn priority, hopefully alongside a new CDM Bissouma / Zakaria + Marvellous.

Offline supertom

« Reply #2106 on: January 10, 2022, 02:55:11 PM »
I think Douglas needs a good finish to the season. He's currently filling a gap somewhat, with Nakamba out and it's clear he's not a number 6. He's shown a bit more about him as an 8, but still needs to be more consistent and to be sharper and less lackadaisical. I think he's just a bit too nonchalant with the ball sometimes.
The good thing with having Coutinho now, is that everyone from our 8-11 is (in theory) going to see the kind of level they need to get closer to. In theory Douglas, Buendia could benefit from seeing a player whose final third decision making and eye for a pass is as good as any (on pomp).

There's definitely a player in Doug, but it's now or never. He had a great 2020, from the run in on his first season, going into the first half of his second. But 2021 was up and down, to put it mildly. There are times his application is also nowhere near good enough. If the fancy stuff isn't coming off, that's one thing, but if he's going out of games having coasted too much, that is a problem. I'm hoping he, a few others, will raise their game in the wake of what's looking like a very impressive january window.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2107 on: January 10, 2022, 03:28:13 PM »
If ditching him for upwards of £20m lets us spend big on a player like Bissouma then more than happy to ditch.

Doesn't do anything particularly well, and no consistency.  Less impact in terms of winning matches than either of the much maligned El Ghazi and Trezeguet, and less effective as a defensive midfielder than Nakamba.

I can't see us getting £20m for him if his contract's up next summer.  He's much more likely to run his contract down and we lose him for nothing.  If we do sell, I can't see us getting more than £10m for him.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2108 on: January 10, 2022, 03:40:14 PM »
I'd imagine no new contracts are on the table until Gerrard & co have had time to fully assess the players. My guess is by the end of the month we'll see him offered a new deal.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2109 on: January 10, 2022, 03:47:30 PM »

I can't see us getting £20m for him if his contract's up next summer.  He's much more likely to run his contract down and we lose him for nothing.  If we do sell, I can't see us getting more than £10m for him.

That's just not how things are right now. Bissouma has the same time on his contract and is being talked about as £50m. Digne has the same and is £25m. Players in the last year of their contract aren't anywhere near as devalued as tey have been in the past. Luiz was being talked about, on here, as a £30m+ player in the summer and given his age I don't think he'd be massively short of that either now or in the summer, we certainly wouldn't be making a loss on him.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2110 on: January 10, 2022, 03:54:05 PM »
If the spending continues then I could see him being sold to get something back. He's excellent sometimes, rarely terrible, but mainly average. Loads of potential but not sure he's what Gerrard wants

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2111 on: January 10, 2022, 04:00:17 PM »
I'd like to see him get a chance alongside a top quality DM for a few games before we sell him because when he plays his own game he has a lot of quality, the goals he scored in his first season and the 2-3 spells of good performances are enough for me to think he's got a lot more to give with a bit more freedom to drift into more attacking positions.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2112 on: January 10, 2022, 04:06:22 PM »

I can. I don't think he'll be short of suitors, and for once we could actually get a bidding war going!

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2113 on: January 10, 2022, 04:10:07 PM »

I can. I don't think he'll be short of suitors, and for once we could actually get a bidding war going!

Someone will have to meet the buyout clause to trigger the war, officially. It's the law.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2114 on: January 10, 2022, 04:13:11 PM »
He’s got lots of talent, but sooner or later he has to consistently deliver, and at the moment he just isn’t.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal