collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:01:05 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:56:39 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 10:39:43 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by Ian.
[Today at 10:37:56 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:17:13 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England  (Read 156772 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Ezri Konsa - signed
« Reply #855 on: September 01, 2023, 12:29:12 PM »
I can understand him picking Maguire as he's rarely let England down. Henderson and Phillips are the ones that make a lot less sense to me.

I get your point but how long do you have to go not getting a match for your club before that 'never let England down' can't be used as justification any more? Maguire has played about 500minutes of league football since the world cup (about 5 and a half games). For me he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad if, for no other reason, it shows that playing regularly is a requirement for international selection and it stops players being happy to go to places like Man City and sit on the bench knowing it won't hurt their chances.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #856 on: September 01, 2023, 12:32:17 PM »
I can understand him picking Maguire as he's rarely let England down. Henderson and Phillips are the ones that make a lot less sense to me.

I get your point but how long do you have to go not getting a match for your club before that 'never let England down' can't be used as justification any more? Maguire has played about 500minutes of league football since the world cup (about 5 and a half games). For me he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad if, for no other reason, it shows that playing regularly is a requirement for international selection and it stops players being happy to go to places like Man City and sit on the bench knowing it won't hurt their chances.

And ditto Saudi Arabia with Henderson.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #857 on: September 01, 2023, 12:43:05 PM »

And ditto Saudi Arabia with Henderson.

Indeed, it makes us look a bit like the countries who just select anyone who is available and half decent because they have very few options to pick from, not the home of the most powerful league in the world.

Online danno

« Reply #858 on: September 01, 2023, 12:44:27 PM »
It happens with every England manager, its why (in my opinion) they should only do two or three tournaments.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #859 on: September 01, 2023, 12:55:05 PM »
I wouldn't get over excited by Southgate not picking him...he wouldn't fucking play him anyway.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #860 on: September 01, 2023, 02:54:49 PM »
But if he played for a big club.......

I know it may upset the players but i could not give any less a shit about any of our players joining up with the England squad.

Nearly all that have, eventually end up leaving claiming their ambition - i think Gabby is the only one that did not but that was probably due to he could not spell ambition :)

Just look at how the media have jumped to the defence of a bang average Sterling being left out - it is a pathetic jobs for the boys club

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #861 on: September 01, 2023, 03:03:25 PM »
He’s having a super season.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #862 on: September 01, 2023, 03:10:49 PM »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #863 on: September 01, 2023, 04:45:44 PM »
Southgate is pathetic picking Maguire and Phillips. No full appearances this season from either of them. How can they be match fit and fully up to speed? Also, a nonsense picking Henderson who now plays in a Mickey mouse league. England will never win anything with the clown Southgate in charge.

I’m not that bothered about England but I really think Southgate is abysmal. Those two easy runs to semi finals have really cut him a lot of slack with some very poor tactics and squad selections. Nketiah ahead of Watkins, Henderson ahead of ward prowse, and Maguire ahead of about 5 better centre backs are all shocking choices

I don't think you can ignore that results under Southgate have been largely excellent. He's horribly conservative, definitely Euros blown at Wembley by sitting back and allowing Italy settle into the game, but you can't really ignore in the main his reign has been positive. The squad seems a lot more solid than when the likes of JT were publicly trying to get his mate Joe Cole into the team under Capello, or when Hodgson was picking Rooney in midfield and losing to Iceland! Allardyce and pints of wine etc

But Southgate can be incredibly two faced, not picking Grealish for years when he was with us for example and theres no justification for keeping Maguire, Henderson and Phillips in the squad. Could just pick young lads as England will win these games easily anyway. Sends a terrible message about his undroppables.

In saying that I wouldn't pick Konsa simply on his performances v Everton and Burnley which were fine but against limited opposition. Last decent forwards he faced were at Newcastle where he had a horror show. Let's see how he goes on Sunday.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #864 on: September 01, 2023, 04:55:46 PM »
It's quite simple. If Konsa wants a place in Mouthgate's squad, he needs to sit on Man City or Chelsea's bench.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #865 on: September 01, 2023, 05:21:30 PM »
edit post fail
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 05:24:27 PM by LeeB »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #866 on: September 01, 2023, 10:42:28 PM »
Who are the logical replacement from the Euro winning U21 squad?

McGuire = Colwill?
Henderson = Garner/Angel Gomez?
Phillips = Curtis Jones?

I’m curious, not making a point.  In theory the U21s should be promoted at this point.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #867 on: September 01, 2023, 11:04:05 PM »
I'm pleased no Villa players have made the England squad.  I wouldn't want them sullied with Southgate's dull and defensive coaching.  It may confuse our players.   I hope the press turn on Southgate as even they can now see what's happening.  Maguire can't get in the Manchester United squad but plays for England.  Henderson plays in the equivalent of League 1 and gets selected.  Utterly diabolical.  Villa are one of the best teams in the league.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #868 on: September 02, 2023, 12:43:08 AM »
Who are the logical replacement from the Euro winning U21 squad?

McGuire = Colwill?
Henderson = Garner/Angel Gomez?
Phillips = Curtis Jones?

I’m curious, not making a point.  In theory the U21s should be promoted at this point.

Colwell for Maguire is easy. Garner & Jones hardly warrant it currently on club form but could have brought them in anyway.

JWP ahead of both Phillips and Henderson is a no brainer. Eng do well at set pieces and he's good at them. Also he left Soton to play at a higher level, Henderson joined the Saudis for the opposite reason. Maguire pulled out of a deal for regular football with West Ham for reasons of delusion? Phillips must have had offers if regular football but instead chose excitement on Man City's bench.

Online Hillbilly

« Reply #869 on: September 02, 2023, 03:10:38 AM »
In saying that I wouldn't pick Konsa simply on his performances v Everton and Burnley which were fine but against limited opposition. Last decent forwards he faced were at Newcastle where he had a horror show. Let's see how he goes on Sunday.

I'd pick him because he's been ever-present in a defence that (Newcastle aside) has barely conceded since March. And at least he's faced forwards which is more than Maguire who has faced the square root of sweet fanny adams.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal