collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343396 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: VAR
« Reply #2700 on: February 21, 2023, 09:39:02 AM »
As you know just like onfield decisions VAR  outcomes have to be evened out over the season. Having made that ginormous error in Arse-Bford match last week this week they got an opportunity to pay back. Normal stuff, really!

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2701 on: February 21, 2023, 11:51:04 AM »
Mega twat baldy Gallagher says the decision was subjective and some you win and some you lose. I thought the principle of VAR was to remove subjectivity? That was its selling point. They’re just making it up from week to week . I’m convinced the game decisions are corrupt. Haven’t Barcelona been accused of paying refs off recei?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2702 on: February 21, 2023, 12:14:09 PM »
I guess lots of referee calls are subjective to a certain extent, eg was it a foul, or was it a dive etc. But it's very difficult to argue that the Arsenal players weren't interfering with player given how close they both were to Martinez. If it was just one of them, then maybe there'd be a case, but both of them there and not getting the decision is a piss take. If that's not interfering with play, then I'd like to see an example of what clearly is.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2703 on: February 21, 2023, 12:22:12 PM »
This seems to have developed a bit of momentum over the last few days - any comments from PGMOL to explain the inconsistency?
The analysis seems to be how far the ball travelled and Emi had a chance to react and attempt a save.  The fact that a split second delay in reaction time could be the difference seems to elude them.

Also, everyone knew Leno had no chance of saving McGinns shot, but were told that wasn't relevant at the time.  As was the fact that Barkley wasn't actually blocking his view, just in the periphery of his sight.

It's the lack of consistency that boils your piss.

Online artvandelay

« Reply #2704 on: February 21, 2023, 12:47:56 PM »
So does this mean if Martinez had made a worse attempt at a save we'd be more likely to get the goal ruled out for offside? (I appreciate it would still need to hit the back of his head...)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2705 on: February 21, 2023, 12:49:21 PM »
So does this mean if Martinez had made a worse attempt at a save we'd be more likely to get the goal ruled out for offside? (I appreciate it would still need to hit the back of his head...)
Ridiculous as it sounds, quite possibly yes.  Although the distance it travelled is primarily what they're hanging their hats on.  And perhaps more worryingly, the lack of protest by the players.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4878634/the-var-review-marcel-sabitzer-red-card-arsenal-offside-goal-kehrer-handball

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2706 on: February 21, 2023, 01:09:14 PM »
Ridiculous as it sounds, quite possibly yes.  Although the distance it travelled is primarily what they're hanging their hats on.  And perhaps more worryingly, the lack of protest by the players.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4878634/the-var-review-marcel-sabitzer-red-card-arsenal-offside-goal-kehrer-handball
Thats the thing for me.
Zero protest by us although considering the time it was scored most players just fell to their knees.
I'm sure, though, that if it had happened at the other end, Arsenal players would have surrounded the ref urging VAR to take a look.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2707 on: February 21, 2023, 01:47:53 PM »

What a load of shite, I've never seen such bizarre mental gymnastics. That artice says "and two of his own teammates are blocking the line to the ball." What the bloody hell has that got to with anything?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2708 on: February 21, 2023, 03:15:58 PM »
I guess lots of referee calls are subjective to a certain extent, eg was it a foul, or was it a dive etc. But it's very difficult to argue that the Arsenal players weren't interfering with player given how close they both were to Martinez. If it was just one of them, then maybe there'd be a case, but both of them there and not getting the decision is a piss take. If that's not interfering with play, then I'd like to see an example of what clearly is.

I refer you to exactly the same thing when we had a goal disallowed down there. That’s the difference. That goal should have been disallowed for simply obvious reasons but it wasn’t. I listened to Dermot Gallagher try and explain it the other day and like everything he explains it in favour of his VAR mates. Listening to him it’s excruciating. Like he’s taking one of those painful hard shits where the beast is coming out sideways.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #2709 on: February 21, 2023, 03:25:23 PM »

I refer you to exactly the same thing when we had a goal disallowed down there. That’s the difference. That goal should have been disallowed for simply obvious reasons but it wasn’t. I listened to Dermot Gallagher try and explain it the other day and like everything he explains it in favour of his VAR mates. Listening to him it’s excruciating. Like he’s taking one of those painful hard shits where the beast is coming out sideways.
They stick together won't dare criticize each other even when they retire, there's like the freemasonry

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2710 on: February 21, 2023, 03:31:07 PM »
I'm just wondering how many of these ''subjective'' decisions go in favour of one of the big 6 as opposed to against them over the course of the season. There is definite bias, unconscious or not.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #2711 on: February 21, 2023, 03:34:08 PM »
No. If Martinez had made a worse attempt at saving that shot he would have been no where near the ball to head it back in.

Online artvandelay

« Reply #2712 on: February 21, 2023, 03:45:26 PM »
No. If Martinez had made a worse attempt at saving that shot he would have been no where near the ball to head it back in.
I did caveat that, but in that instance, presumably either of the offside players would then be in a position to bundle it in from what was determined to be not an offside position as it rebounds from the crossbar

Offline olaftab

« Reply #2713 on: February 21, 2023, 05:23:26 PM »
No as at that stage it was involvement issue. In rebound situation they were offside. Linesman would have indicated as the player who hits the ball would definitely be "involved" from an offside position. Having said that I wouldn't put it past VAR to come up with a different explanation to allow it.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #2714 on: February 21, 2023, 07:40:58 PM »
Arsenal  second goal from the short corner ,lad said possible offside from the actual corner kick, looking at it many times it looks like the linesman more concentrated on the ball

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal