collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 352572 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: VAR
« Reply #2670 on: February 15, 2023, 10:28:30 AM »
There was a sensor in the ball that identified the precise moment it was kicked.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2671 on: February 15, 2023, 02:29:27 PM »
There was a sensor in the ball that identified the precise moment it was kicked.
Exactly. And we play in the richest league in the world so why don't we have it? The cynic in me thinks that the club's with most money and most clout are happy to carry on leaving it to human judgement which is how it's always been because over the years those clubs have had the benefit of big decisions going their way. They can't exert their influence over a computer.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2672 on: February 15, 2023, 03:01:42 PM »
I suppose it's too late now that the genie is out of the bottle, and perhaps the Premier League/FA wouldn't even now be permitted the change, but the biggest and quickest improvement to how VAR works would be to simply eliminate its use for offsides, and revert to reliance upon the linesmen doing their jobs, thereby making the game a whole lot simpler, and a whole lot more enjoyable.

It's the one and only thing they can and should get right every time.  Offside is offside, it's clear cut even if it's only "toe nail" accurate. If they miss an incident like at the weekend where there were a few offsides in one build up to a goal which weren't even considered that's down to VAR officials.
This offside is offside idea just isn't right. It's fundamentally flawed because it's impossible to know the exact moment when the ball leaves the passing players boot. That's when the player is either on or off. One person in a studio gets to decide when he THINKS the ball lost contact with the boot. It's still guesswork. An absolutely undisputable version is achievable as they had the technology in the World Cup and used it brilliantly. You hardly knew it was there. Until we get that technology offsides will remain a subjective guess.

How can it be fundamentally flawed and have worked brilliantly at the world cup?

I understand the point but it's clearly possible to make this work with existing technology without any meaningful changes. What is fundamentally flawed in the Premier League is that PGMOL are a bunch of shits who are forcing half-arsed implementations of VAR so they can keep their wiggle room to pretend that a player coming from an offside position and tackling a defender is fine in the rules, or that falling over after treading on someones foot is a penalty or any of a number of other decisions that they can only justify so long as the entire lawbook is based on the singular interpretation of 1 man.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2673 on: February 15, 2023, 03:15:18 PM »
The basic premise of VAR in trying to get rid of clear and obvious errors is fine. Clear handballs and fouls in the build up to goals that are missed by the on-field ref, should see the goals ruled out, and likewise, obvious penalties missed by the ref should be given.

Where they went wrong is completely overriding this clear and obvious element for offsides. Absolutely nobody at all was calling for 3 minute breaks while ridiculous lines are hand drawn on a screen, lines that are only as good as the ability for the technology to measure the exact moment the ball left the attacking player's boot, who made the pass.

The next thing that is wrong is the completely random nature of what they decide is clear and obvious. There have been umpteen examples of 'hand ball' in the box, this season, with seemingly no consistency at all applied. So Ashley Young at Newcastle sliding in to make a challenge gets penalised, whereas Soucek for West Ham diving to make an actual save, doesn't.

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #2674 on: February 15, 2023, 03:25:04 PM »
The handball thing is a product of interpretations and guidance. Handballs are different in European Football to English football, for example. Then people stop saying it was brought in for "clear and obvious" and start bleating about "all we need is consistency".

I can live with offsides because (as long as it's applied correctly), it's consistent. There's a line, offside is offside. Just imagine Manchester City and Villa scoring similar goals but one was given for them on the field and ours wasn't and not "clear and obvious" enough to overturn. There'd be uproar. At least it's consistent (when done correctly)

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #2675 on: February 15, 2023, 04:16:10 PM »
The problem with VAR is they’re trying to solve a problem with more TV cameras that wasn’t there with far fewer cameras.
Back in the day the only view of a dodgy decision us fans got was live at the game, and often with some tall blokes’ head in the way.
We all went home arguing we were robbed but deep down knew we probably didn’t have as a good a view as the officials. Good though as nobody could prove your argument was wrong. And for me, that was much better.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2676 on: February 15, 2023, 04:29:24 PM »
Wasn't 'off side' originally to prevent goal hanging? I'm sure if they insist on VAR and these silly lines, wouldn't it be better to go back to giving the benefit of doubt to the the attacker and give them a bit more grace ? Let's face it, is 6 inches or so a massive advantage to anyone?

This handball rule is just a mess. Having different rules for different passages of play was always going to cause inconsistencies with the referees. I'm completely lost with it, I have no idea of the rules for that anymore.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2677 on: February 15, 2023, 05:13:00 PM »
I suppose it's too late now that the genie is out of the bottle, and perhaps the Premier League/FA wouldn't even now be permitted the change, but the biggest and quickest improvement to how VAR works would be to simply eliminate its use for offsides, and revert to reliance upon the linesmen doing their jobs, thereby making the game a whole lot simpler, and a whole lot more enjoyable.

It's the one and only thing they can and should get right every time.  Offside is offside, it's clear cut even if it's only "toe nail" accurate. If they miss an incident like at the weekend where there were a few offsides in one build up to a goal which weren't even considered that's down to VAR officials.
This offside is offside idea just isn't right. It's fundamentally flawed because it's impossible to know the exact moment when the ball leaves the passing players boot. That's when the player is either on or off. One person in a studio gets to decide when he THINKS the ball lost contact with the boot. It's still guesswork. An absolutely undisputable version is achievable as they had the technology in the World Cup and used it brilliantly. You hardly knew it was there. Until we get that technology offsides will remain a subjective guess.

How can it be fundamentally flawed and have worked brilliantly at the world cup?

I understand the point but it's clearly possible to make this work with existing technology without any meaningful changes. What is fundamentally flawed in the Premier League is that PGMOL are a bunch of shits who are forcing half-arsed implementations of VAR so they can keep their wiggle room to pretend that a player coming from an offside position and tackling a defender is fine in the rules, or that falling over after treading on someones foot is a penalty or any of a number of other decisions that they can only justify so long as the entire lawbook is based on the singular interpretation of 1 man.
I called it fundamentally flawed because someone said it is the only thing that should be right every time so i was pointing out the flaws when they use in it's current form.It can be made to be right every time if they adopt the technology they used in the world cup. We're pretty much in agreement with our comments.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:22:26 PM by The Edge »

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #2678 on: February 15, 2023, 07:42:48 PM »

I called it fundamentally flawed because someone said it is the only thing that should be right every time so i was pointing out the flaws when they use in it's current form.It can be made to be right every time if they adopt the technology they used in the world cup. We're pretty much in agreement with our comments.
and possible that the refs are on a power trip, because that the impression I got when watching certain local football games

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2679 on: February 15, 2023, 08:48:21 PM »
The decisions need to lie with the on pitch officials. I still contend it should be like the NFL where coaches get a certain amount of challenges to on field rulings. If they lose the first challenge they don't get a second one. Maybe there is a place for the 4th official to intervene for things highly controversial genuinely missed by the ref and assistants. But literally everything going to VAR is killing the game.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2680 on: February 17, 2023, 08:51:02 PM »

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #2681 on: February 17, 2023, 09:02:00 PM »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2682 on: February 17, 2023, 09:05:34 PM »

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #2683 on: February 17, 2023, 09:10:39 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64683971

Good. The PGMOL shouldn't be some empathetic safeguard for referees. Hold them to a higher standard and don't give us the "hard job" bullshit.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2684 on: February 17, 2023, 09:13:44 PM »
It’s a bit much to get fired for it, assuming that’s what has happened.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal