collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 352849 times)

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
Re: VAR
« Reply #2640 on: February 12, 2023, 04:28:24 AM »
Just out of interest - I'm away at the moment so only seen snippets on my phone but would Cam's goal have been awarded with Var ?

From the looks of it, probably not.

I don't see what VAR has brought to the game, though. I generally have a lot of respect for referees; they put up with a lot of shit, and I do believe that most of them just love the game and do their best. (There are exceptions, of course.)

VAR was intended to remove the subjectivity from decisions, but it's done the opposite. It has mainly drawn attention to the failures of linesmen, and highlighted the weird, arbitrary way that professional refs go about their jobs.

Mistakes happen, but I'd rather the money spent on VAR went into assessing refs for unconscious bias, teaching them about what constitutes handball, and paying them a bonus for every fucking twat who gets up in their face.

If I was a ref, and the players behaved the way they do, every game would be abandoned due to shortage of players.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2641 on: February 12, 2023, 05:20:12 AM »
We have sacrificed drama, passion and the glory of celebrating a goal for absolutely nothing.

Well done everyone, well done.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #2642 on: February 12, 2023, 05:32:57 AM »
Just out of interest - I'm away at the moment so only seen snippets on my phone but would Cam's goal have been awarded with Var ?

I don't see what VAR has brought to the game, though. I generally have a lot of respect for referees; they put up with a lot of shit, and I do believe that most of them just love the game and do their best. (There are exceptions, of course.)

VAR was intended to remove the subjectivity from decisions, but it's done the opposite. It has mainly drawn attention to the failures of linesmen, and highlighted the weird, arbitrary way that professional refs go about their jobs.

Mistakes happen, but I'd rather the money spent on VAR went into assessing refs for unconscious bias, teaching them about what constitutes handball, and paying them a bonus for every fucking twat who gets up in their face.

If I was a ref, and the players behaved the way they do, every game would be abandoned due to shortage of players.
Thanks. Plus agree with everything you've said.

Online Rory

« Reply #2643 on: February 12, 2023, 05:35:10 AM »

Thanks. Plus agree with everything you've said.

Thanks buddy.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2644 on: February 12, 2023, 07:30:59 AM »
I see the UAE must’ve managed to persuade The VAR operator not to bother checking if Brentford goal was offside.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #2645 on: February 12, 2023, 08:19:19 AM »
We have sacrificed drama, passion and the glory of celebrating a goal for absolutely nothing.

This 100% for me too.

Plus Leicester playing goal music seconds after the ball hits the net. Fans don’t even get a chance to celebrate a goal naturally.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 08:29:37 AM by CT »

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2646 on: February 12, 2023, 09:02:55 AM »

100%….the lack of respect referees have for themselves is absurd…chasing players to book them really annoys me…blow the whistle, call player to them, if they don’t immediately then a 2nd yellow is given, simple!  Booking players like Bruno who are in their ears all game would also set a nice precedent…all for occasional discussion but he is there for 90 minutes.

Would also like that VAR cash spent on recruiting some of the players who don’t make the grade at 18-22 to fast track as referees so we have refs who are physically fit not 40 odd year olds waddling round the centre circle.

Online Baldy

« Reply #2647 on: February 12, 2023, 09:11:08 AM »

This 100% for me too.

Plus Leicester playing goal music seconds after the ball hits the net. Fans don’t even get a chance to celebrate a goal naturally.

And me, 100%.

Fans can't celebrate a goal naturally (havn't hit the roof in a few years)

Defenders can't defend naturally (have to hold their arse with both hands)

Forwards can't attack naturally (have to be measure where their shoulder is lined up and not just their feet)

I don't celebrate a goal anymore to avoid the disappointment of it being disallowed. Not a conscious decision, just the way my body reacts naturally.

Naturally, I am pissed off.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 09:15:18 AM by Baldy »

Offline The Edge

« Reply #2648 on: February 12, 2023, 09:20:52 AM »

Totally agree. But you should change the "we" for "they". As others have said the whole "subjective" cobblers is just that. It's a cop out to let them get away with the kind of nonsense var come up with yesterday. It's not subjective when someone looks at a screen and decides where the lines should go when deciding on a really tight offside. Move forward a frame and a player is offside. Move back a frame and he's onside That's not being subjective that's playing god.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #2649 on: February 14, 2023, 01:35:42 AM »
After all the VARtroversy of Saturday's games on MotD, there wasn't even a mention of Grealish's dive against us or VAR's approval of same on MotD 2.

Still, it's only Villa, eh? Best not to upset Pep's darlings when they've had such a tough week...

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2650 on: February 14, 2023, 07:15:17 AM »
Officials removed from games didn't work before VAR so why they think it will work now is beyond me. It's just a sap to moaning Managers.

It doesn't work, it never will and we'll be having the same conversation in 5 years time.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #2651 on: February 14, 2023, 08:36:36 AM »
I suppose it's too late now that the genie is out of the bottle, and perhaps the Premier League/FA wouldn't even now be permitted the change, but the biggest and quickest improvement to how VAR works would be to simply eliminate its use for offsides, and revert to reliance upon the linesmen doing their jobs, thereby making the game a whole lot simpler, and a whole lot more enjoyable.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #2652 on: February 14, 2023, 09:22:09 AM »
I like VAR. It doesn't get everything right, but it gets more than enough right to justify its use.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #2653 on: February 14, 2023, 09:24:20 AM »
I'm the other way round on it. Get it working like it was at the World Cup, digital, virtual, and take it completely out of the officials' hands/eyes, like has been done with goal line decisions. The physical act of being offside is about the only thing in football which is a black and white matter, you're either cheating or you're not. If there's a subjective decision to be made about whether somebody somewhere on the pitch is compliant with the latest wording and interpretation of Law 11 then that can be referred back to the referee on the pitch.

And sack it off for everything else. Cos it's shit.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2654 on: February 14, 2023, 09:38:27 AM »
Stop subjective nonsense for offside. If offside can be automated like goal line technology/no ball in cricket then stick with it otherwise get rid. Do NOT leave it to human beings to draw the fucking lines. Stop making decisions on different phases and someone was offide and they came back to block etc., just leave it to last man to touch the ball.
For other VAR decisions it's like as it's always been, human error will prevail however it's a lot better now that some errors can be corrected. I think on that VAR moves us from 60/40 to 90/10.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal