collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343522 times)

Offline frank black

Re: VAR
« Reply #2460 on: March 01, 2022, 06:59:46 PM »
VAR is just taking the controversy of ref decisions and turning it into great TV. It’s of no benefit to the actual fans at the game, when we have no clue what’s going on. At very least they need to mic up the refs.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2461 on: March 01, 2022, 07:25:50 PM »
I'm in the "rugby camp" on VAR. Either ref asks them to check it or they invite him to have a look ,but in each case the crowd are informed of the reason and the discussion is broadcast ,and everything is shown on screen. At least all premier league grounds have big screens don't they? Oh,just a minute........

I don't think it is inside the ground.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2462 on: March 01, 2022, 09:17:02 PM »
I'm in the "rugby camp" on VAR. Either ref asks them to check it or they invite him to have a look ,but in each case the crowd are informed of the reason and the discussion is broadcast ,and everything is shown on screen. At least all premier league grounds have big screens don't they? Oh,just a minute........

I don't think it is inside the ground.

paul e will probably be able to confirm, but I think they tried it out with the ref's mic being heard by the crowd for TMOs at the end of last year.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2463 on: March 03, 2022, 12:11:35 PM »
At very least they need to mic up the refs.

I remember 30-odd years ago when David Ellery was mic’d up ( is that how you spell
It?) for a game as some sort of experiment. Of all the games to choose, “they” decided on Millwall v Arsenal at The Den and it was fantastic entertainment. Seem to remember Tony Adams calling Ellery a cheat a few times

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2464 on: March 03, 2022, 12:15:14 PM »

I remember 30-odd years ago when David Ellery was mic’d up ( is that how you spell
It?) for a game as some sort of experiment. Of all the games to choose, “they” decided on Millwall v Arsenal at The Den and it was fantastic entertainment. Seem to remember Tony Adams calling Ellery a cheat a few times

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2465 on: March 03, 2022, 12:19:15 PM »
That’s the one

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2466 on: March 03, 2022, 01:36:07 PM »

He really was a pompous headmaster - but a damn sight better ref than some of the shit we see today

Would rather him than dont leave the half way line, ready to give a pen to the scum 6 at any time  fatty Jon Moss

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2467 on: March 03, 2022, 01:55:36 PM »

He really was a pompous headmaster - but a damn sight better ref than some of the shit we see today

Would rather him than dont leave the half way line, ready to give a pen to the scum 6 at any time  fatty Jon Moss

He basically runs the show now mate, gets to decide who gets to become a Premier League ref.

He was an outlier back then, a pompous wanker, and what we have now is in his image. Why couldn't it have been Roger Milford or Keith Hackett that took over? It's always the arseholes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 02:01:19 PM by LeeB »

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2468 on: March 03, 2022, 01:59:15 PM »

You mean on the halfway line but can see the merest of stud touchs on a ball at the goal line (even when not looking) Ellery? Wasn't he also the ref who gave deliberate handball against Delany when the ball bounced up and Mark spun around looking for it and it bounced onto his arm behind his back?

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2469 on: March 03, 2022, 02:03:35 PM »
He's a fuckin' arshole.

See: Handball, M.Delaney. Sunderland.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #2470 on: March 03, 2022, 02:28:43 PM »
Ellery was probably better suited to rugby.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 03:11:21 PM by usav »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2471 on: March 03, 2022, 07:00:55 PM »
I think refs should be asking very specific questions of VAR - using Ings vs the red-manc entitled bastards, the ref should simply have said "was Ings offside and - if not - did he use his hand?" Simple.
It's the clear-and-obvious bit which gives VAR the licence to roam over all and sundry.
I'd also add that the linesmen have been neutered in this whole approach, where in fact they could be far more useful.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2472 on: March 03, 2022, 11:19:35 PM »
I still get a strong sense of referees not having played the game and not understanding nuances and intent/lack of when it comes to their reviewing of incidents on the touchline camera.

Added to that, they're usually watching the replays in super slow-mo at the same angle and no doubt emboldened by Stockley Park's suggestion to have a re-watch; it's almost like they're scared to stick to their original decision.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #2473 on: March 05, 2022, 01:07:33 AM »
VAR doesn't work in football because it's become an old boys' club, with everyone covering each others' arses.

The TMO works in Rugby because they focus on establishing the truth of what actually happened.

A small but vital difference.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #2474 on: March 05, 2022, 04:25:21 AM »
Var decisions should take no longer 10 sec otherwise refs on field decision counts. Clear and Obvious should be the criteria.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal