collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 351413 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: VAR
« Reply #2490 on: September 04, 2022, 05:45:38 PM »
The issue is that referees and Linos still get too much wrong.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #2491 on: September 04, 2022, 06:36:51 PM »
It's shit and not fixing the issues it was bought in for. As someone said, it' taking the joy out the game.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2492 on: September 04, 2022, 06:59:44 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/09/04/keith-hackett-seven-point-plan-fix-premier-leagues-failing-var/

Not mentioning the goal that Villa had disallowed because the stupid linesman didn't allow play to continue so that the outcome could be VARred as required. Doesn't suit the narrative to mention when the Sky 6 have had a decision against them.

The thing that annoys me most isn't so much that the linesman was premature in flagging but that he had no reason to flag at all, it clearly wasn't offside.  He's a walking advert for Specsavers.

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2493 on: September 04, 2022, 07:00:49 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/09/04/keith-hackett-seven-point-plan-fix-premier-leagues-failing-var/

Not mentioning the goal that Villa had disallowed because the stupid linesman didn't allow play to continue so that the outcome could be VARred as required. Doesn't suit the narrative to mention when the Sky 6 have had a decision against them.

The problem is that yesterday's incident won't count in a discussion of VAR, because the ref blew his whistle, which removed VAR from the equation.  They can't 'undo' him doing that.  You could quite rightly argue that the linesman shouldn't have flagged, and the ref shouldn't have blown (both believing VAR would correct a marginal mistake), but it wasn't really a VAR failure, because if VAR didn't exist, the on-pitch decision would have been exactly the same.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2494 on: September 04, 2022, 07:08:31 PM »
It was an example of an official failing to use VAR properly, by flagging too early so it couldn't be used at all, so absolutely should be part of the discussion.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2495 on: September 04, 2022, 07:19:01 PM »

The thing that annoys me most isn't so much that the linesman was premature in flagging but that he had no reason to flag at all, it clearly wasn't offside.  He's a walking advert for Specsavers.

Humans make mistakes. I can accept that. But alongside VAR, the process was changed to ensure officials gave themselves the opportunity to use VAR to validate their decision. By flagging early the linesman went against the process and that's unacceptable.

Again, there's so much to learn from how rugby handle these sorts of situations. If FIFA could drag themselves out of their own arse we stand half a chance of making VAR work.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #2496 on: September 04, 2022, 07:46:40 PM »

I find it very amusing that Specsavers are the sleeve sponsors on Scottish ref's shirts.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2497 on: September 04, 2022, 08:26:09 PM »
But surely one of the supposed benefits of VAR is the late flag to correct marginal decisions and get them right. Exactly what should have happened with Phil’s goal.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2498 on: September 04, 2022, 08:29:22 PM »
Coutinho, nothing to do with VAR and simply an officials mistake.  Can accept that.

Newcastle's goal, yes the keeper was not hurt and unclear as to how much contact the Palace defender made on the Newcastle striker.  I remain unsure.

West Ham's goal was a goal.  Mendy cheated end of.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2499 on: September 04, 2022, 09:43:42 PM »

Having watched it again a few times I suspect he thought Ramsey got a touch on the ball just before Phil picked it up (it was very close to him) and, if he had, the offside would be correct. Not that it matters because even if that had happened he should've have flagged until the play was complete. That's what we should be shouting about as a club because this is yet another example of a rule not being applied consistently to our detriment, this is 7-8 times now since we came back up.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2500 on: September 04, 2022, 10:29:01 PM »
On the Newcastle one, I saw another angle of it today which supposedly was meant to make it clearer the Newcastle player was fouled but to me it looked like he did clatter into the keeper pretty recklessly

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2501 on: September 04, 2022, 10:38:50 PM »
The most satisfactory criterion for whether decisions should be reviewed would be whether I personally like the club on the receiving end.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2502 on: September 04, 2022, 10:47:41 PM »
The most satisfactory criterion for whether decisions should be reviewed would be whether I personally like the club on the receiving end.

That's the current system, isn't it? Just that it's run by cockneys & mancs instead of sensible folks like your good self.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #2503 on: September 04, 2022, 11:09:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/pwgray/status/1566400879242125312?t=t5LE99uGtsmYC5Br1-d7Aw&s=08

The lino officiating our game got another match quickly.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #2504 on: September 05, 2022, 08:30:55 AM »
Trying to blame the linesman, but ref couldn't wait to blow his whistle

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal