collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343536 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: VAR
« Reply #2430 on: February 28, 2022, 10:26:07 PM »
Another thing about this ‘hand ball’ incident.
When the pundits have been discussing whether it was or wasn’t a penalty, why have they been talking about the tee shirt line?
I thought hand ball was to the shoulder not where the sleeve ends, and that tee shirt line bollocks was in reference to the marginal offside decisions that happen.

Seriously, do I not know ANY of the rules of football anymore, because I’m starting to wonder.
There is a graphic showing the t shirt line on it. It's meant to be the defining line for what's handball and what's not. It's still up to interpretation as to where the ball actually makes contact. So it just adds even more confusion to an already bewildering set of rules. A load of bollocks in other words.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2431 on: March 01, 2022, 10:43:42 AM »
I see Everton aren't letting it lie, and have written to the PL demanding an apology. It'll make fuck all difference of course, but good on them anyway.

And he'll probably be charged with bringing the game into disrepute, to add insult to injury.

Offline DesBremner

« Reply #2432 on: March 01, 2022, 11:11:16 AM »
"PGMOL General Manager Mike Riley has made personal phone calls to Bill Kenwright and Frank Lampard to apologise following the decision by VAR not to award Everton a penalty against Man City"

So thats ok then ...
What is the point
I'm not bothered whether they won or lost but its just making a mockery of the game

Online lovejoy

« Reply #2433 on: March 01, 2022, 12:18:45 PM »
PGMOL or whoever they are should come out and have to explain all VAR decisions after the weekend. I can forgive a ref not seeing something first time, but not the blokes sat reviewing things. If you're going to ruin our game at least have the courage of your convictions to back up your decisions.

Absolutely, they have the same pictures as us and so should explain how the decisions have been arrived at. The clubs should explicitly ask for this under the guise of learning and adapting. Its not right often enough IMO.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2434 on: March 01, 2022, 12:22:03 PM »
"PGMOL General Manager Mike Riley has made personal phone calls to Bill Kenwright and Frank Lampard to apologise following the decision by VAR not to award Everton a penalty against Man City"

So thats ok then ...
What is the point
I'm not bothered whether they won or lost but its just making a mockery of the game

Exactly, that non-penalty could have huge ramifications at both ends of the table. VAR is shit, and the way it is used is shit, but if it got things like that and other major calls right then fans would grit their teeth and accept it. However, it's not only ruining the ability to celebrate goals, it's both getting the big calls wrong, and seemingly favouring the bigger teams, so it's triple the shit.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #2435 on: March 01, 2022, 12:23:35 PM »

So thats ok then ...
What is the point

In which case what can Riley see that the ref and more importantly the VAR ref couldn't? It wreaks.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2436 on: March 01, 2022, 12:25:12 PM »
I'm a bit pissed that they got an apology compared to the 2-3 ridiculous ones for us where they've circled the wagons and used obscure intepretations of the rules to defend the officials.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2437 on: March 01, 2022, 12:28:50 PM »

So thats ok then ...
What is the point

Yet there seems to be no punishment for the on field pitch ref and the VAR ref. In fact, the VAR ref from the everton game is officiating the Burnley game tonight. No demotion to championship for a few games, seemingly nothing. Interesting to see which decisions lead to refs getting punished by the PGMOL and which don’t. 

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2438 on: March 01, 2022, 12:32:42 PM »

So thats ok then ...
What is the point

In which case what can Riley see that the ref and more importantly the VAR ref couldn't? It wreaks.
Instead of an apology how about an explanation? How about they tell us how a handball so blatant was missed by not only the ref and his assistants but the myopic numnuts at Stockley Park? I've said for a while now I don't understand why a premier league club with enough clout doesn't call out var for negligence or cheating like someone earlier said that the ramifications are huge at both ends of the table. Who is actually in charge of the game? The referee's association or the clubs? Because it seems to me to be  a clear case of the tail wagging the donkey.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:35:13 PM by The Edge »

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2439 on: March 01, 2022, 12:50:03 PM »

So thats ok then ...
What is the point

Instead of an apology how about an explanation? How about they tell us how a handball so blatant was missed by not only the ref and his assistants but the myopic numnuts at Stockley Park? I've said for a while now I don't understand why a premier league club with enough clout doesn't call out var for negligence or cheating like someone earlier said that the ramifications are huge at both ends of the table. Who is actually in charge of the game? The referee's association or the clubs? Because it seems to me to be  a clear case of the tail wagging the donkey.

As for your point about explaining about how such a blatant hand ball could be missed, the simple answer is they can't.  Unfortunately things get missed in matches, he may have been glancing in a different direction for that split second and not seen it, it happens .

This brings us on to your second point, you are 100% correct.  The culpability lies with the VAR official who has the wherewithal of modern technology to amend that decision which he didn't use to it's full extent. Now that needs explaining.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2440 on: March 01, 2022, 12:58:22 PM »
Yes Dave, I don't think anybody was blaming the match ref for missing it in the first instance. Things happen in a split second in real time, and he may not have seen it clearly in which case he can't give it. That's the entire point of VAR though isn't it? It was the most obvious handball I've seen all season, short of somebody doing a Harlem Globetrotters impression and bouncing it up the pitch. VAR should have told the ref it was a handball, or at least told him to go and have another look at the monitor.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2441 on: March 01, 2022, 01:06:38 PM »
Yes Dave, I don't think anybody was blaming the match ref for missing it in the first instance. Things happen in a split second in real time, and he may not have seen it clearly in which case he can't give it. That's the entire point of VAR though isn't it? It was the most obvious handball I've seen all season, short of somebody doing a Harlem Globetrotters impression and bouncing it up the pitch. VAR should have told the ref it was a handball, or at least told him to go and have another look at the monitor.

To be fair Risso, in my VAR rage I did have a pop at the on field ref which was wrong of me. If he didn’t see it he couldn’t do anything. The VAR ref however. Different story altogether.

Offline john2710

« Reply #2442 on: March 01, 2022, 01:07:04 PM »
We got away with one against Sheffield Utd a couple of years ago. Every VAR decision against us since then has been referenced back to that & therefore nulls any complaint we have. This will be the case for at least the next decade, some will still be using it 2 or 3 generations time.

VAR was brought in to correct the errors made in real-time by the on-field officials. The very same people who are now making monumnetal errors despite having every camera angle known to man available.

The penalty for Man City vs Wolves & the one not given on Saturday tells us everything we need to know. It's not random.

Not one PL ref was at the last World Cup & when they have been there they've fucked up. The PL brings in the best players from around the world, why don't they employ the best refs from around the world?

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2443 on: March 01, 2022, 01:14:54 PM »
We got away with one against Sheffield Utd a couple of years ago. Every VAR decision against us since then has been referenced back to that & therefore nulls any complaint we have. This will be the case for at least the next decade, some will still be using it 2 or 3 generations time.

VAR was brought in to correct the errors made in real-time by the on-field officials. The very same people who are now making monumnetal errors despite having every camera angle known to man available.

The penalty for Man City vs Wolves & the one not given on Saturday tells us everything we need to know. It's not random.

Not one PL ref was at the last World Cup & when they have been there they've fucked up. The PL brings in the best players from around the world, why don't they employ the best refs from around the world?

That wasn't a Var decision.  That was the goal line technology not doing it's job. Var couldn't be used.  Why I don't know.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2444 on: March 01, 2022, 01:16:54 PM »
The argument against VAR is that it still relies on interpretation and not matter of fact.

And here you have it laid bare for all to see in the Everton game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal