collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 351555 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: VAR
« Reply #2400 on: February 27, 2022, 03:40:09 PM »
That’s one of the worst decisions yet. Many times it is down to judgment and in the studio the panel will argue, or with friends after a match has long finished you will disagree, but that was so blatantly obvious you do wonder if it is actually blatant cheating.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2401 on: February 28, 2022, 10:47:24 AM »
That’s one of the worst decisions yet. Many times it is down to judgment and in the studio the panel will argue, or with friends after a match has long finished you will disagree, but that was so blatantly obvious you do wonder if it is actually blatant cheating.
I think it's cheating or sabotage. Cheating in the sense that TV companies could be leaning on var to keep the major financial players in pole position because that's where the moneys at from advertising. Sabotage in the sense that the referee's association don't like the fact that their judgement was called into question the day var was introduced. Or thirdly just plain old incompetence. Nothing else can explain the bizzare decision not to give a penalty to Everton for that handball. Oh and Rhidri seems to be the new Vidic. He's had some shocking decisions go his way. Who can forget the goal var allowed against us? They scrambled around looking for a reason to give that goal eventually giving it anyway and rewriting the rules afterwards. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2402 on: February 28, 2022, 11:03:30 AM »
The Premier League have confirmed that it wasn't given because it wasn't clear and obvious that it was handball. So that's alright then, move on chaps, nothing dodgy at all.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2403 on: February 28, 2022, 11:13:13 AM »
What it was to anyone with even poor eyesight and very little knowledge of the game is that it was clear and obvious.  Stone wall in fact. That pathetic excuse they give is doing some real heavy lifting lately.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2404 on: February 28, 2022, 11:15:02 AM »
The Premier League have confirmed that it wasn't given because it wasn't clear and obvious that it was handball. So that's alright then, move on chaps, nothing dodgy at all.

What a load of old claptrap.

Thsi clear and obvious thing is such a red herring. If something needs multiple replays from multiple angles, it's not clear and obvious.

VAR needs to be either 'Clear and Obvious' i.e. replay at normal speed, from one angle (and I include offside, so one replay no lines drawn etc), or it needs to be an absolute, i.e. numerous replays, run back and forth from every angle (and with offside you draw lines etc).

Offline Risso

« Reply #2405 on: February 28, 2022, 11:19:26 AM »

What a load of old claptrap.

Thsi clear and obvious thing is such a red herring. If something needs multiple replays from multiple angles, it's not clear and obvious.

VAR needs to be either 'Clear and Obvious' i.e. replay at normal speed, from one angle (and I include offside, so one replay no lines drawn etc), or it needs to be an absolute, i.e. numerous replays, run back and forth from every angle (and with offside you draw lines etc).

That's all it ever needed to be. Clear daylight for incorrect offsides, and something blindingly obvious for general play.

That Man City handball WAS blindingly obvious and clear as day a handball all day long.

Our disallowed goal versus the Mancs in the Cup wasn't. They spent ages checking two different players for offside, then got the rule book out and had a desperate look for something else, which was a player running into ours head down, and falling over.

It's disgraceful.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2406 on: February 28, 2022, 11:23:01 AM »

It's disgraceful.

Yes, it is.

I also think that using current referees to call each other out is shite. And then asking the referee to go and have a look to see if he wants to change his mind is a fucking cop-out too. It again suggests there's no clear and obvious decision to be made.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #2407 on: February 28, 2022, 11:29:07 AM »
We've basically moved from the refs favouring the big teams to VAR favouring the big teams (and then the ref can shrug and say "not me mate").
Does anyone doubt that the Man City pen would have been given if it was the other way around?

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2408 on: February 28, 2022, 11:36:21 AM »
We've basically moved from the refs favouring the big teams to VAR favouring the big teams (and then the ref can shrug and say "not me mate").
Does anyone doubt that the Man City pen would have been given if it was the other way around?
Spot on.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2409 on: February 28, 2022, 11:53:08 AM »
Spot on.
We all know the answer, its Crooked.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2410 on: February 28, 2022, 12:14:16 PM »
Like they really need the fucking extra help as well.

The whole VAR situation feels like I'm being constantly gaslighted, told that black is actually white, this decision that looks clear cut is actually extremely layered and is subject to 15 new law changes in the last 2 years that nobody has heard about until some prick points it out on Twitter for the first time, but that decision for an innoculous collision with the ball running out of play, away from goal but in the box, is actually a stonewall penalty and a red card for the defender.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2411 on: February 28, 2022, 12:55:39 PM »
It isn't too often I agree with pundits but Lineaker got it right on Saturday's MOTD when he said ' this type of thing will continue until referee's come out and explain decisions like that'.   Words to that effect, at the same time as basically calling out Riley by name.  This is something I've always railed against as I believe that it would cause more problems but, by Christ, VAR and it's misuse is rapidly pushing me to change my mind.

Offline Risso

« Reply #2412 on: February 28, 2022, 01:10:48 PM »
PGMOL or whoever they are should come out and have to explain all VAR decisions after the weekend. I can forgive a ref not seeing something first time, but not the blokes sat reviewing things. If you're going to ruin our game at least have the courage of your convictions to back up your decisions.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2413 on: February 28, 2022, 01:29:56 PM »
Its so instinctive that I doubt that anyone who has ever played football has not done the same thing.

You go to chest a bouncing ball, you misjudge the bounce and your arm instinctively moves towards the ball to get it under control.

Which makes it all the more ridiculous that it wasn't given.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2414 on: February 28, 2022, 01:37:05 PM »
Its so instinctive that I doubt that anyone who has ever played football has not done the same thing.

You go to chest a bouncing ball, you misjudge the bounce and your arm instinctively moves towards the ball to get it under control.

Which makes it all the more ridiculous that it wasn't given.

Time and again decisions like that happen where it seems the only person unaware of this is the referee, like they've been grown in a lab, educated only in the laws of the game without ever having watched a game of football take place.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal