collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:10:09 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:03:36 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:59:44 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Clampy
[Today at 08:56:11 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:54:07 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by manic-road
[Today at 08:47:07 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:28:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 348543 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #2415 on: February 28, 2022, 01:38:17 PM »
When you look at the length of time some of the decisions take to be made by VAR it makes you realise that the delays are worth Millions around the globe in on line betting - opens the process up to huge manipulation and  basically cheating via gambling.

If you analysed the time spent on decisions i bet the scum money 6 decisions take the longest of all teams to find a suitable "right" decision for them

That Everton handball - could you see

Man United
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man City - Obvs

Not getting that in real time and enforced with VAR? - thought not

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2416 on: February 28, 2022, 01:40:25 PM »
PGMOL or whoever they are should come out and have to explain all VAR decisions after the weekend. I can forgive a ref not seeing something first time, but not the blokes sat reviewing things. If you're going to ruin our game at least have the courage of your convictions to back up your decisions.
This with bells on.
The people making these VAR decisions should attend a Monday morning review with the media to go over any contentious issues. If they have confidence in their decisions it would be an easy session for them.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2417 on: February 28, 2022, 01:40:40 PM »
PGMOL or whoever they are should come out and have to explain all VAR decisions after the weekend. I can forgive a ref not seeing something first time, but not the blokes sat reviewing things. If you're going to ruin our game at least have the courage of your convictions to back up your decisions.

Absolutely. However, they will just use the tried and tested non answer and nobody can hold them to account.

I still maintain there should be an independent panel instead of bloody referees.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2418 on: February 28, 2022, 01:42:37 PM »

Absolutely. However, they will just use the tried and tested non answer and nobody can hold them to account.

I still maintain there should be an independent panel instead of bloody referees.

And foriegn ref rotations, none of this "JT" chummy bollocks. Send our refs to fucking Russia, they'd fit in there the bent bastards.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2419 on: February 28, 2022, 07:25:01 PM »
One of the most telling things for me is that the VAR officials didn't invite the on pitch ref to go and look at City handball VS Everton on the monitor.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2420 on: February 28, 2022, 07:28:00 PM »
One of the most telling things for me is that the VAR officials didn't invite the on pitch ref to go and look at City handball VS Everton on the monitor.
they just needed enough time for a text from the Caymans

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2421 on: February 28, 2022, 07:31:46 PM »
they just needed enough time for a text from the Caymans

I have to say, I'm in the camp that things that how VAR is being used is bent. The Olympics, F1, why would football be immune to manipulation? It's happened before.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #2422 on: February 28, 2022, 09:05:33 PM »
So I found this decision really confusing.  I  - like many was in no doubt that it was a penalty as it clearly hit his arm - not his shoulder - and what's more is that his arm appeared to move towards the ball.  And yet recently obvious hand balls have been not given because it was felt that the hand ball was not "deliberate" and here is where it gets me.  Do I think this was hand ball - 100%  - do I think it was deliberately?  Actually no, I think there is an unpredictable bounce and he instinctively goes to compensate.  I absolutely get the "deliberate" line but it is so arbitrary the for me it should be removed.  It either makes contact with the hand/arm or not and if it gives advantage to the defending team its a penalty.  No ifs and no buts!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2423 on: February 28, 2022, 09:37:08 PM »
I see Everton aren't letting it lie, and have written to the PL demanding an apology. It'll make fuck all difference of course, but good on them anyway.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #2424 on: February 28, 2022, 09:51:24 PM »
This with bells on.
The people making these VAR decisions should attend a Monday morning review with the media to go over any contentious issues. If they have confidence in their decisions it would be an easy session for them.

I agree. I don’t have Sky / BT and only watch MOTD and other occasional highlights but I’d probably subscribe to watch this.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2425 on: February 28, 2022, 09:54:27 PM »
Which is more of a handball: Rodri VS Everton or Moutinho VS Man City? One is given as a penalty and the other doesn't even require the ref to have a look on the monitor. Both are game changing decisions.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #2426 on: February 28, 2022, 09:56:26 PM »
I see Everton aren't letting it lie, and have written to the PL demanding an apology. It'll make fuck all difference of course, but good on them anyway.
Agreed it will make no difference, but if nothing else it keeps the beyond dreadful decision, in the public eye for a bit longer. Lampard has already opened up the pandora’s box by insinuating it could be corrupt as opposed to just hugely incompetent. Moving aside from the fact he would of benefited from more decisions playing for a sky super six club, so degrees of hypocrisy, its about time this is called for what it is.
I was at the Man U cup game and the fact they checked 3 separate  things has to be completely against what VAR was brought in for. There is no doubt in my mind, we win that game if that goal was allowed to stand.
There are so many issues, from generally using VAR to disregard previously sound conceptions, e.g. the forward being given the benefit of the doubt (see Watkins at Newcastle, Lukaku yesterday, both with a fingernail in front of the defender). To serious concerns potential corruption like up at Everton on Saturday.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2427 on: February 28, 2022, 09:59:47 PM »
Agreed it will make no difference, but if nothing else it keeps the beyond dreadful decision, in the public eye for a bit longer. Lampard has already opened up the pandora’s box by insinuating it could be corrupt as opposed to just hugely incompetent. Moving aside from the fact he would of benefited from more decisions playing for a sky super six club, so degrees of hypocrisy, its about time this is called for what it is.
I was at the Man U cup game and the fact they checked 3 separate  things has to be completely against what VAR was brought in for. There is no doubt in my mind, we win that game if that goal was allowed to stand.
There are so many issues, from generally using VAR to disregard previously sound conceptions, e.g. the forward being given the benefit of the doubt (see Watkins at Newcastle, Lukaku yesterday, both with a fingernail in front of the defender). To serious concerns potential corruption like up at Everton on Saturday.

The Man Utd cup game decision was the first time I'd seen VAR applied to look at multiple things in that way. And you're right; that wasn't what VAR was brought in for. How many phases of play are you going to go back and review in the lead up to a goal? Til you find the result you're looking for.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2428 on: February 28, 2022, 10:07:12 PM »
Another thing about this ‘hand ball’ incident.
When the pundits have been discussing whether it was or wasn’t a penalty, why have they been talking about the tee shirt line?
I thought hand ball was to the shoulder not where the sleeve ends, and that tee shirt line bollocks was in reference to the marginal offside decisions that happen.

Seriously, do I not know ANY of the rules of football anymore, because I’m starting to wonder.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2429 on: February 28, 2022, 10:18:14 PM »
Another thing about this ‘hand ball’ incident.
When the pundits have been discussing whether it was or wasn’t a penalty, why have they been talking about the tee shirt line?
I thought hand ball was to the shoulder not where the sleeve ends, and that tee shirt line bollocks was in reference to the marginal offside decisions that happen.

Seriously, do I not know ANY of the rules of football anymore, because I’m starting to wonder.

No idea. My guess would probably be that it depends on the pundit, who they still work for and what they've said in the past that they feel they have to continually validate/justify.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal