collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Rory
[Today at 02:36:36 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 347775 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: VAR
« Reply #2130 on: December 07, 2021, 10:42:35 AM »
I like the rugby approach. Everyone can see what the officials are looking at and can hear the discussions taking place. My only concern is the time that some of the rugby decisions take. It can sometimes take a couple of minutes to review everything from every conceivable angle

I would advocate adopting the rugby system but putting a time limit on the VAR review.

If, say, after 30 seconds it is still unclear, then obviously a “clear and obvious error” has not been made and the on-pitch decision should be upheld

I'd say you see 1 or 2 that take longer than 30 seconds per weekend in the rugby (I watch pretty much every minute of it, either live or here - https://www.premiershiprugby.com/prtv/) they have the balance spot on. Having the ref mic'ed up it a big part because you know what is going on all the time and they are explaining the decisions. As I said on the match thread, the one where he blew up as Watkins was about to shoot was, in my opinion, a far bigger problem than the one everyone is talking about. It's exactly the sort of scenario where VAR gives the ref extra tools to ensure he's gettings right but too many of them are scared of using it that way.

It's been alluded to before, but the difference between rugby and football crowds is like night and day. At rugby all fans go quiet for whichever team's player is trying to kick a conversion, can you imagine that at a football match.? I like the idea of the ref explaining VAR decisions in theory, but I think in practice it would lead to trouble.

Of course it's different but I think there needs to be some attempt at connecting with fans because what happens now is fucking awful.

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #2131 on: December 07, 2021, 10:53:32 AM »
Whats the worst that is going to happen?

Refs get abused, booed etc because the crowd don't agree with the decision? It all happens now.

I'd wager that more transparent the decision making process the less abuse officials and players would get.

By all means make a bad decision if people know you've gone through all the available information and still made a bad decision it is what it is.

It's this closed shop, behind closed doors, closing ranks, monumental arse covering that goes on from the whole set up that riles  everyone up because it makes them look more crooked than they are. (Apart from Kevin friend he's definitely a cheating ******)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2132 on: December 07, 2021, 11:01:53 AM »
As someone explained above, the VAR experience for fans at home watching on TV is SO far removed from the experience in the ground that something has to change, surely?

I completely understand why they don't show everything, particularly the 'clear and obvious error reviews' because it doesn't matter how many times you show it, there will always be differences of opinion on those.  Much less so for balls crossing lines and offsides, where the decision is much more clear-cut.

Can you imagine if they HAD shown the Schmeichel/Ramsey incident in slow-motion and freeze-frame on the big screen? You'd have 40k fans utterly convinced he didn't have "control of the ball" and that a goal would definitely be awarded, then absolute carnage when it wasn't. I'm generally pretty calm at the football (excited by the good, but rarely too angered by the bad), but watching at home I was completely incensed - I can't imagine how the mood would have evolved had I been sat in the Holte with similarly aggrieved fans having seen the same angles.

So I get the dilemma that they have, but something needs to change.  What, or how, I don't know.

I like the idea of the refs being mic'd up for VAR reviews, so they can at least explain the decision - even if you haven't seen it.  A ref saying "Goalkeeper had his hand on top the ball while it was on the ground, foul given" might have helped - maybe?  They couldn't be mic'd for the rest of the game as broadcasters would be forever apologising for the bad language heard from the players.  Rugby has a definite advantage there in terms of player behaviour.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2133 on: December 07, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »
They want the controversy They want the pissed off fans. The clear and obvious mistake error is totally ignored - if it wasn't then they wouldn't take 5 minutes looking at them! All about entertainment, pure and simple, adding a bit of jeopardy to the SKY armchair viewers. Once you realise that, then you can ignore it.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2134 on: December 07, 2021, 12:44:39 PM »

Refs get abused, booed etc because the crowd don't agree with the decision? It all happens now.

I'd wager that more transparent the decision making process the less abuse officials and players would get.

By all means make a bad decision if people know you've gone through all the available information and still made a bad decision it is what it is.

It's this closed shop, behind closed doors, closing ranks, monumental arse covering that goes on from the whole set up that riles  everyone up because it makes them look more crooked than they are. (Apart from Kevin friend he's definitely a cheating ******)

Referee's are not crooks, incompetent at times yes but not crooks.  No referee, no football.

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #2135 on: December 07, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »
No Kevin Friend more points for Aston Villa.

It's beyond incompetent.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2136 on: December 07, 2021, 01:43:49 PM »

Referee's are not crooks, incompetent at times yes but not crooks.  No referee, no football.

I don't think they're bent Dave, but I do think they suffer from unconscious bias. I also don't think going professional has helped matters at all.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #2137 on: December 07, 2021, 02:24:36 PM »
They want the controversy They want the pissed off fans. The clear and obvious mistake error is totally ignored - if it wasn't then they wouldn't take 5 minutes looking at them! All about entertainment, pure and simple, adding a bit of jeopardy to the SKY armchair viewers. Once you realise that, then you can ignore it.
All about entertainment, pure and simple, adding a bit of jeopardy to the SKY armchair viewers. This

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2138 on: December 07, 2021, 02:41:12 PM »
As someone explained above, the VAR experience for fans at home watching on TV is SO far removed from the experience in the ground that something has to change, surely?

I completely understand why they don't show everything, particularly the 'clear and obvious error reviews' because it doesn't matter how many times you show it, there will always be differences of opinion on those.  Much less so for balls crossing lines and offsides, where the decision is much more clear-cut.

Can you imagine if they HAD shown the Schmeichel/Ramsey incident in slow-motion and freeze-frame on the big screen? You'd have 40k fans utterly convinced he didn't have "control of the ball" and that a goal would definitely be awarded, then absolute carnage when it wasn't. I'm generally pretty calm at the football (excited by the good, but rarely too angered by the bad), but watching at home I was completely incensed - I can't imagine how the mood would have evolved had I been sat in the Holte with similarly aggrieved fans having seen the same angles.

So I get the dilemma that they have, but something needs to change.  What, or how, I don't know.

I like the idea of the refs being mic'd up for VAR reviews, so they can at least explain the decision - even if you haven't seen it.  A ref saying "Goalkeeper had his hand on top the ball while it was on the ground, foul given" might have helped - maybe?  They couldn't be mic'd for the rest of the game as broadcasters would be forever apologising for the bad language heard from the players.  Rugby has a definite advantage there in terms of player behaviour.

They did show it on the big screen and a few fans got grumpy and booed.  That was it.  It certainly wasn't carnage and it's a hell of a lot better than the mushroom approach generally taken to fans in grounds of keeping them in the dark and feeding them shit.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2139 on: December 07, 2021, 02:43:09 PM »
They showed it, but it was only once without any explanation or context.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2140 on: December 07, 2021, 02:45:50 PM »
It was a bit more that a few fans getting grumpy and booing.  It was a collective expression of disbelief and then reference to the referees assumed sexual behaviour.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2141 on: December 07, 2021, 02:52:10 PM »
It was a bit more that a few fans getting grumpy and booing.  It was a collective expression of disbelief and then reference to the referees assumed sexual behaviour.

And his cardiovascular capacity for carrying out his duties.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #2142 on: December 07, 2021, 03:18:34 PM »

So just the same as every other match then?

I'd rather see the video, especially as the forecasted scenes of "carnage" didn't happen when we did.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2143 on: December 07, 2021, 03:31:39 PM »

So just the same as every other match then?

I'd rather see the video, especially as the forecasted scenes of "carnage" didn't happen when we did.
I dunno, it was pretty hostile in the Holte.  It wouldn't take a huge leap to see that overspilling with some fans, particularly if in relation to a bad foul etc.

I'm all for the 'rugby' type model, but football fans are very different to rugby and cricket and I'm not convinced about the wisdom of showing potentially inflammatory footage on the screens. A more detailed written explanation may be worthwhile though.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #2144 on: December 07, 2021, 03:57:40 PM »
Jesus! I thought we stopped treating football fans as animals at the end of the 80s.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal