collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343384 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: VAR
« Reply #1470 on: October 18, 2020, 04:50:18 PM »
I'd agree with that, create a grey area where the tech is considered unreliable so we stick with the refs decision.

Offline wince

« Reply #1471 on: October 18, 2020, 06:35:42 PM »
Can it not be also used in a limited way for teams to appeal like the one in tennis?  And that foul by Pickford was horrorshow. He needs a punishment for that.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1472 on: October 18, 2020, 06:44:44 PM »
When that West Ham goal went it I was fucking praying VAR didn’t rule it out because a West Ham hair wasn’t in an offside position. I hate what it’s come to.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #1473 on: October 18, 2020, 06:51:53 PM »
Oh and another point - why can't the game introduce "citing" like Rugby Union. Pickford should have been cited and retrospectively red carded. Outrageous tackle that has put VVD out for 8 months, and had that been against a Villa player, there would be a riot on here.

Generally it's be nice if football referees would manage the game & the players as they do in rugby union.  Nigel Owens took no shit at the end of the Exeter - Paris final last night.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1474 on: October 18, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »
Oh and another point - why can't the game introduce "citing" like Rugby Union. Pickford should have been cited and retrospectively red carded. Outrageous tackle that has put VVD out for 8 months, and had that been against a Villa player, there would be a riot on here.

Generally it's be nice if football referees would manage the game & the players as they do in rugby union.  Nigel Owens took no shit at the end of the Exeter - Paris final last night.

Rugby players have respect for the refs, football players don't, which makes a big difference.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #1475 on: October 18, 2020, 07:57:13 PM »

Rugby players have respect for the refs, football players don't, which makes a big difference.

Agreed. No respect for the refs in football and that's why any requests for them to be treated like the refs in rugby is a non-starter. The basis for WHY the refs in rugby are respected begins with their top-class judgment and decisions in the game. They rarely get it wrong. I may sometimes take a referral to the video refs in the stands or a bit of a conflab with the linesmen/linespeople but them everyone gets on with the game because THE RIGHT DECISION HAS BEEN MADE.

That is almost never true of premier league referees per game. They make on average 3 decisions per playing minute getting no more than 70% of them correct. The stats are in, they've been measured; referees in this country get 1 in 4 decisions wrong, making at least 5 result-deciding errors per game.

We can't hope to get anywhere close to more fair results until this fundamental problem is fixed.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1476 on: October 24, 2020, 11:05:27 PM »
Liverpool denied goals and Sheff Utd penalty upgraded from free kick by Villa supporter Andre ‘Dre’ Marriner!

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1477 on: October 26, 2020, 01:28:02 AM »
A shockingly bad penalty decision!

Who was the VAR official?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1478 on: October 26, 2020, 08:06:01 AM »
Dre!

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1479 on: October 26, 2020, 08:06:54 AM »
That’s why I posted it on the VAR thread

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1480 on: October 26, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »
Should just clarify- he doesn’t call himself Dre - he seems like a decent bloke- they were ripping him on the Peter Crouch podcast earlier this year (or late last year can’t remember when)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1481 on: October 26, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »

Agreed. No respect for the refs in football and that's why any requests for them to be treated like the refs in rugby is a non-starter. The basis for WHY the refs in rugby are respected begins with their top-class judgment and decisions in the game. They rarely get it wrong. I may sometimes take a referral to the video refs in the stands or a bit of a conflab with the linesmen/linespeople but them everyone gets on with the game because THE RIGHT DECISION HAS BEEN MADE.

That is almost never true of premier league referees per game. They make on average 3 decisions per playing minute getting no more than 70% of them correct. The stats are in, they've been measured; referees in this country get 1 in 4 decisions wrong, making at least 5 result-deciding errors per game.

We can't hope to get anywhere close to more fair results until this fundamental problem is fixed.
I'm sorry I completely disagree.  Respect for the ref in rubgy starts at U8's age group and is instilled in all players throught their playing career.  You can have absolutely shocking reffing at grass roots level yet the players still treat the ref with respect.

I do agree top level rugby refs are usually excellent and of course that helps, but respect for refs in rugby is part of it's culture.

People say it could never be the same in football.  You probably wouldn't want it to be to be honest, but you could stop swearing at refs and confrontational crowding within a few weeks if they really wanted to just by having a period of zero tolerance.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1482 on: November 01, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »
I know it's gone in our favour there but that's yet another ridiculous VAR offside decision.  He's not in the goalie's eyeline and he's not touched the ball.  How can that be offside?

It's ridiculous - it's football by computer.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1483 on: November 01, 2020, 12:12:01 PM »
I know it's gone in our favour there but that's yet another ridiculous VAR offside decision.  He's not in the goalie's eyeline and he's not touched the ball.  How can that be offside?

If he's not there, Konsa doesn't play the ball.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1484 on: November 01, 2020, 12:13:07 PM »

If he's not there, Konsa doesn't play the ball.

Cause Konsa knew sure certain there wasn't a player behind him?!

If we'd had that goal disallowed there'd be uproar on here and rightly so.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal