collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

November 23, 2020, 04:23:08 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 250 | Comments: 1

These days a ten year old is l...
November 20, 2020, 12:28:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 424 | Comments: 3

In the euphoria of the resumpt...
November 18, 2020, 11:57:57 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 406 | Comments: 2

By Christmas 1936 those who ex...
November 05, 2020, 12:10:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1143 | Comments: 8

This weekend sees the thirtiet...
October 28, 2020, 02:06:34 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1022 | Comments: 8

[url=https://ibb.c...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 107967 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
Re: VAR
« Reply #1500 on: October 18, 2020, 06:44:44 PM »
When that West Ham goal went it I was fucking praying VAR didnít rule it out because a West Ham hair wasnít in an offside position. I hate what itís come to.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #1501 on: October 18, 2020, 06:51:53 PM »
Oh and another point - why can't the game introduce "citing" like Rugby Union. Pickford should have been cited and retrospectively red carded. Outrageous tackle that has put VVD out for 8 months, and had that been against a Villa player, there would be a riot on here.

Generally it's be nice if football referees would manage the game & the players as they do in rugby union.  Nigel Owens took no shit at the end of the Exeter - Paris final last night.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1502 on: October 18, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »
Oh and another point - why can't the game introduce "citing" like Rugby Union. Pickford should have been cited and retrospectively red carded. Outrageous tackle that has put VVD out for 8 months, and had that been against a Villa player, there would be a riot on here.

Generally it's be nice if football referees would manage the game & the players as they do in rugby union.  Nigel Owens took no shit at the end of the Exeter - Paris final last night.

Rugby players have respect for the refs, football players don't, which makes a big difference.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #1503 on: October 18, 2020, 07:57:13 PM »

Rugby players have respect for the refs, football players don't, which makes a big difference.

Agreed. No respect for the refs in football and that's why any requests for them to be treated like the refs in rugby is a non-starter. The basis for WHY the refs in rugby are respected begins with their top-class judgment and decisions in the game. They rarely get it wrong. I may sometimes take a referral to the video refs in the stands or a bit of a conflab with the linesmen/linespeople but them everyone gets on with the game because THE RIGHT DECISION HAS BEEN MADE.

That is almost never true of premier league referees per game. They make on average 3 decisions per playing minute getting no more than 70% of them correct. The stats are in, they've been measured; referees in this country get 1 in 4 decisions wrong, making at least 5 result-deciding errors per game.

We can't hope to get anywhere close to more fair results until this fundamental problem is fixed.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1504 on: October 24, 2020, 11:05:27 PM »
Liverpool denied goals and Sheff Utd penalty upgraded from free kick by Villa supporter Andre ĎDreí Marriner!

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #1505 on: October 26, 2020, 01:28:02 AM »
A shockingly bad penalty decision!

Who was the VAR official?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1506 on: October 26, 2020, 08:06:01 AM »
Dre!

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1507 on: October 26, 2020, 08:06:54 AM »
Thatís why I posted it on the VAR thread

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1508 on: October 26, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »
Should just clarify- he doesnít call himself Dre - he seems like a decent bloke- they were ripping him on the Peter Crouch podcast earlier this year (or late last year canít remember when)

Online chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2021
« Reply #1509 on: October 26, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »

Agreed. No respect for the refs in football and that's why any requests for them to be treated like the refs in rugby is a non-starter. The basis for WHY the refs in rugby are respected begins with their top-class judgment and decisions in the game. They rarely get it wrong. I may sometimes take a referral to the video refs in the stands or a bit of a conflab with the linesmen/linespeople but them everyone gets on with the game because THE RIGHT DECISION HAS BEEN MADE.

That is almost never true of premier league referees per game. They make on average 3 decisions per playing minute getting no more than 70% of them correct. The stats are in, they've been measured; referees in this country get 1 in 4 decisions wrong, making at least 5 result-deciding errors per game.

We can't hope to get anywhere close to more fair results until this fundamental problem is fixed.
I'm sorry I completely disagree.  Respect for the ref in rubgy starts at U8's age group and is instilled in all players throught their playing career.  You can have absolutely shocking reffing at grass roots level yet the players still treat the ref with respect.

I do agree top level rugby refs are usually excellent and of course that helps, but respect for refs in rugby is part of it's culture.

People say it could never be the same in football.  You probably wouldn't want it to be to be honest, but you could stop swearing at refs and confrontational crowding within a few weeks if they really wanted to just by having a period of zero tolerance.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 07.03.2021
« Reply #1510 on: November 01, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »
I know it's gone in our favour there but that's yet another ridiculous VAR offside decision.  He's not in the goalie's eyeline and he's not touched the ball.  How can that be offside?

It's ridiculous - it's football by computer.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #1511 on: November 01, 2020, 12:12:01 PM »
I know it's gone in our favour there but that's yet another ridiculous VAR offside decision.  He's not in the goalie's eyeline and he's not touched the ball.  How can that be offside?

If he's not there, Konsa doesn't play the ball.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 07.03.2021
« Reply #1512 on: November 01, 2020, 12:13:07 PM »

If he's not there, Konsa doesn't play the ball.

Cause Konsa knew sure certain there wasn't a player behind him?!

If we'd had that goal disallowed there'd be uproar on here and rightly so.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1513 on: November 01, 2020, 12:32:56 PM »
Konsa headed the ball into him which means he was interfering with play from an offside position, i thought he was off watching it live and was annoyed wen the flag didn't go up.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #1514 on: November 02, 2020, 12:45:56 AM »
If people are upset about us getting a VAR decision 'in our favour' (alert! Adams was offside), they can perhaps console themselves that Saints' first goal came after a foul throw and the extremely dubious award of a free-kick.

Still, VAR doesn't check 'some things', as we found out in last season's cup final.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal