collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343586 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: VAR
« Reply #1245 on: March 08, 2020, 11:24:55 PM »
I would draw two extra lines on the pitch and have offside only counting in the final third of the pitch. The offside trap is a shit defensive policy that ruins the game, in my arrogant opinion.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1246 on: March 08, 2020, 11:55:29 PM »
So have pacey players who can beat the offside trap, then! I reckon you would find Allardyce/Pulis-type teams would benefit most if you did that. You negate the influence of midfield in favour of long ball sides.

My dad reckons the Scottish League tried your system years ago (or it may just have been one of the cups). It may also have been quarter lines rather than third lines.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:59:26 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1247 on: March 08, 2020, 11:58:56 PM »
Found some info on Wiki...

"Unadopted experiments

During the 1973–74 and 1974–75 seasons, an experimental version of the offside rule was operated in the Scottish League Cup and Drybrough Cup competitions. The concept was that offside should only apply in the last 18 yards (16 m) of play (inside or beside the penalty area). To signify this, the horizontal line of the penalty area was extended to the touchlines. FIFA President Sir Stanley Rous attended the 1973 Scottish League Cup Final, which was played using these rules. The manager of one of the teams involved, Celtic manager Jock Stein, complained that it was unfair to expect teams to play under one set of rules in one game and then a different set a few days before or later. The experiment was quietly dropped after the 1974–75 season, as no proposal for a further experiment or rule change was submitted for the Scottish Football Association board to consider."

And also this, on a similar theme.

"In the 1987–88 season, the Football Association was authorised by the International Football Association Board to test an experimental rule change, whereby no attacker could be offside directly from a free-kick. The competition chosen for this experiment was the Football Conference. The change was not deemed a success, as the attacking team could pack the penalty area for any free-kick (or even have several players stand in front of the opposition goalkeeper) and the rule change was not introduced at a higher level."

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1248 on: March 09, 2020, 12:03:59 AM »
Found some info on Wiki...

"Unadopted experiments

During the 1973–74 and 1974–75 seasons, an experimental version of the offside rule was operated in the Scottish League Cup and Drybrough Cup competitions. The concept was that offside should only apply in the last 18 yards (16 m) of play (inside or beside the penalty area). To signify this, the horizontal line of the penalty area was extended to the touchlines. FIFA President Sir Stanley Rous attended the 1973 Scottish League Cup Final, which was played using these rules. The manager of one of the teams involved, Celtic manager Jock Stein, complained that it was unfair to expect teams to play under one set of rules in one game and then a different set a few days before or later. The experiment was quietly dropped after the 1974–75 season, as no proposal for a further experiment or rule change was submitted for the Scottish Football Association board to consider."

And also this, on a similar theme.

"In the 1987–88 season, the Football Association was authorised by the International Football Association Board to test an experimental rule change, whereby no attacker could be offside directly from a free-kick. The competition chosen for this experiment was the Football Conference. The change was not deemed a success, as the attacking team could pack the penalty area for any free-kick (or even have several players stand in front of the opposition goalkeeper) and the rule change was not introduced at a higher level."

You can prove anything with facts.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #1249 on: March 10, 2020, 02:11:07 PM »
I would draw two extra lines on the pitch and have offside only counting in the final third of the pitch. The offside trap is a shit defensive policy that ruins the game, in my arrogant opinion.

A bit like the "Shooting Area" in subbuteo ?

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1250 on: May 24, 2020, 12:42:06 AM »
How will this work with the return of prmwoe league football?

The talk is of mobile units containing small number of people rather than using stockley park control room with more people

Either way the social distancing going to be difficult.
Would the premier league be daring to scrap it due to circumstances
I thought VAR was here to stay.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1251 on: August 06, 2020, 04:04:05 PM »
The club has issued a statement https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2020/08/06/pl-statement-var-subs on what's been agreed today regarding substitute and VAR arrangements for the upcoming season. I'm not entirely clear on this bit
- Keeping the flag down for tight marginal offside offences: When an immediate goalscoring opportunity is likely to occur, the assistant referee will keep their flag down until the passage of play is completed. Once the goalscoring opportunity is complete, either a goal is scored or the chance is gone, the assistant will then raise the flag to indicate the initial offence. If a goal is scored the VAR will then review the offside judgement

Does this mean that their will only be a review for offside if there's a flag?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1252 on: August 06, 2020, 04:15:37 PM »
Crikey, so at a penalty any encroachment by the keeper or players and it's retaken...

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1253 on: August 06, 2020, 04:17:15 PM »
Crikey, so at a penalty any encroachment by the keeper or players and it's retaken...

On first reading of the statement, it looks like next season will be every bit the clusterfuck the last one was.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1254 on: August 06, 2020, 04:21:07 PM »
The penalties issue seems ridiculously harsh, but the offside makes sense.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1255 on: August 06, 2020, 04:22:26 PM »
There are five key areas that highlight the differences in implementation of VAR in 2020/21:

- Offsides: The protocol does not allow for tolerance levels

I don't understand this - I'm not quite sure how that is a difference. Surely that means we're still going to get 4 minute waits while they judge someone is 0.00002mm offside?

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #1256 on: August 06, 2020, 04:24:36 PM »
It's going to be even worse - we'll have games with penalties being retaken 2 or 3 times. 

If it's being used for offside then they have got to go back to playing the advantage to the attacking player so that if any part of their body is onside then they are onside.  I really don't understand why this part of the laws is different to everything else - if any part of the ball is in play then play carries on, it should be the same for offside.

Online Dave P

« Reply #1257 on: August 06, 2020, 04:25:02 PM »

Only if the encroachee has an effect on the penalty I think.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1258 on: August 06, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »
There are five key areas that highlight the differences in implementation of VAR in 2020/21:

I don't understand this - I'm not quite sure how that is a difference. Surely that means we're still going to get 4 minute waits while they judge someone is 0.00002mm offside?

It's obvious the VAR shitshow is just going to get worse and worse. 

"Goalkeeper encroachment on penalty kicks: The protocol does not allow for tolerance levels, so if the goalkeeper saves a penalty and his foot is over the line then VAR will advise it is retaken. If the goalkeeper is off his line and the ball hits the post or goes over, it won’t be retaken unless the 'keeper has a material impact on the kick being missed."

So we'll have big waits while they analyse if a toenail is over the line, but then they are still leaving a big old subjective decision to be made in terms of "material impact" of the keeper's actions.  Load of bollocks.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1259 on: August 06, 2020, 04:29:00 PM »

It's obvious the VAR shitshow is just going to get worse and worse. 

"Goalkeeper encroachment on penalty kicks: The protocol does not allow for tolerance levels, so if the goalkeeper saves a penalty and his foot is over the line then VAR will advise it is retaken. If the goalkeeper is off his line and the ball hits the post or goes over, it won’t be retaken unless the 'keeper has a material impact on the kick being missed."

So we'll have big waits while they analyse if a toenail is over the line, but then they are still leaving a big old subjective decision to be made in terms of "material impact" of the keeper's actions.  Load of bollocks.

Your last sentence summarises the whole VAR nonsense perfectly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal