collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343883 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: VAR
« Reply #1005 on: November 09, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
As far as I’m aware it seems to be working with minimum fuss in 28 other countries.

Valencia-Granada game there was four minute delay between goal being scored and kicking off again. Goal was given in the end.

I simply can't believe refs aren't going to the monitors to have a look. If you're having a three minute delay on fractional offside you really should.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1006 on: November 09, 2019, 05:40:49 PM »
As far as I’m aware it seems to be working with minimum fuss in 28 other countries.

A quick bit of googling suggests it's as popular amongst match-going fans around the world as it is here. Including this goal scored during half time in Germany

Offline KRS

« Reply #1007 on: November 09, 2019, 05:58:35 PM »
I take it back then...VAR is a fuck up of international proportions.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1008 on: November 09, 2019, 09:34:15 PM »
I have watched various games and incidents today. I have no idea how they could have determined that the Sheff Utd goal was offside.
There were blatant and obvious penalties not given and still the pitch side screen has been deemed by the refs to be for aesthetic purposes only.
There are various clubs now singing fuck VAR and I can only hope that the protests grow to the extent that they do something about it.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1009 on: November 09, 2019, 10:04:34 PM »
VAR by its very definition was brought in to be an ASSISTANT to the referee much in the same way as the two assistants running the lines. It was introduced to provide another perspective to decisions the referee might not have seen, or missed by his on field assistants. But ultimately in the end the match referee needs to be the one making the final call. What has happened since the World Cup where with the aid of pitch side monitors it worked really well, is that VAR has taken over the duties of the match referee which was never its original intent. It has lost immense credibility. Put the power back in the hands of the match referee to help make calls that he missed. If the call on the pitch was a penalty, VAR should be used as a way of determining if something clear and obvious should overturn the decision. And use the monitors with a set time limit. And for me better still only employ it on a manager challenge. They get 2 a game, and like in the NFL, if they get the first one wrong they lose the second.

I don't disagree with the principal of VAR but it's a disaster right now.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1010 on: November 09, 2019, 10:44:49 PM »
This really cannot continue. It seems that every weekend there are laughable/lamentable mistakes being made with this current process being implemented. I sincerely hope that someone demands a full explanation from Mike Riley before too long.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #1011 on: November 09, 2019, 11:05:40 PM »
VAR by its very definition was brought in to be an ASSISTANT to the referee much in the same way as the two assistants running the lines. It was introduced to provide another perspective to decisions the referee might not have seen, or missed by his on field assistants. But ultimately in the end the match referee needs to be the one making the final call. What has happened since the World Cup where with the aid of pitch side monitors it worked really well, is that VAR has taken over the duties of the match referee which was never its original intent. It has lost immense credibility. Put the power back in the hands of the match referee to help make calls that he missed. If the call on the pitch was a penalty, VAR should be used as a way of determining if something clear and obvious should overturn the decision. And use the monitors with a set time limit. And for me better still only employ it on a manager challenge. They get 2 a game, and like in the NFL, if they get the first one wrong they lose the second.

I don't disagree with the principal of VAR but it's a disaster right now.

This

Online devilla

• GM : Nov, 2012
« Reply #1012 on: November 09, 2019, 11:14:59 PM »
Unbelievable!

How is this offside?

Incredible, surely the Spurs player's shoulder is more forward than the Sheffield player's toe.

Offline slammer

« Reply #1013 on: November 09, 2019, 11:16:09 PM »

A quick bit of googling suggests it's as popular amongst match-going fans around the world as it is here. Including this goal scored during half time in Germany

At least the ref looked at the monitor, they seem incapable of doing that over here.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1014 on: November 09, 2019, 11:30:59 PM »
Unbelievable!

How is this offside?
Is the answer ‘because its against media darlings Spurs’ ?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1015 on: November 09, 2019, 11:40:41 PM »
Unbelievable!

How is this offside?

Incredible, surely the Spurs player's shoulder is more forward than the Sheffield player's toe.

Surely we want to see more goals in the game.  I would personally change the rule from next season to there having to be clear daylight between the attacker and defender to be ruled out as offside.  The whole knee, shoulder etc being offside is too complicated and it's taking too long for decisions to be made.

If part of the attacker's body is on-side then they should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1016 on: November 10, 2019, 01:26:18 AM »
The line goes through the defender's head, they aren't filling me with confidence about how accurate they are.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1017 on: November 10, 2019, 01:45:59 AM »
Unbelievable!

How is this offside?

They seem to have drawn the line to the Spurs player's knee, ignoring the fact that his shoulder is further forward and also ahead of the attacking player's foot.  Ludicrous.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #1018 on: November 10, 2019, 03:03:47 AM »
Will VAR rear its ugly head later against Wolverlona? I fucking hope not. Football is stressful enough as it is.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1019 on: November 10, 2019, 06:21:52 AM »
Will VAR rear its ugly head later against Wolverlona? I fucking hope not. Football is stressful enough as it is.

I'm sure it will if we score mate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal