collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343538 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #1035 on: November 11, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »
The line goes through the defender's head, they aren't filling me with confidence about how accurate they are.

I was watching this live and they kept doing the thing with the lines and it is remarkable that they ruled it offside.

Sorry to bring physics into it, but isn’t there a parallax problem here? The line goes along the floor, so anything on the floor is judged properly. But the defender’s head and shoulder is a distance (1.4 to 1.8m?) above the floor. Because the line isn’t square to the camera, it will make the defender’s head and shoulder look further forward than they are in reality. In other words the camera angle makes it look like the defender is playing the attacker on side, when in reality he isn’t.

It’s the sort of problem that image processing can deal with, but can’t show in a convincing photo.

By the way, this isn’t a defence of VAR, I hate the way it stifles the spontaneity of the game with a passion.

Do they take into account that pitches aren't flat due to drainage and that there's the curvature of the Earth to take deal with ?

Maybe VAR is one place that Flat-Earthers have gained control :)

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1036 on: November 11, 2019, 01:02:55 PM »
The refs need to go over and watch the monitor footage. That is what the female refs were doing at the Women's World Cup and VAR seemed to work far more smoothly in that tournament than it has in the men's game. Apparently Mike Riley who is in charge of the refs was against that but has backed down due to all the media criticism. I think having the refs review the monitor footage will be a step in the right direction.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1037 on: November 11, 2019, 01:05:18 PM »
The refs need to go over and watch the monitor footage. That is what the female refs were doing at the Women's World Cup and VAR seemed to work far more smoothly in that tournament than it has in the men's game. Apparently Mike Riley who is in charge of the refs was against that but has backed down due to all the media criticism. I think having the refs review the monitor footage will be a step in the right direction.
Booting var into touch would be the right direction.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1038 on: November 11, 2019, 01:49:32 PM »
Anyone seen Dermot Gallagher's latest pathetic attempt to support that decision at the weekend?  Painful viewing, you can tell that even he's not convincing himself.

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #1039 on: November 11, 2019, 02:29:14 PM »

Apparently the suits have told refs to try not to use the monitors as it 'disrupts the flow of the game' as if VAR isn't doing that anyway.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1040 on: November 11, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
Between Dermot Gallacher and now Neil Swarbrick (On 5Live this afternoon), I think we're being taken for mugs.

Just wait until this farce costs trophies, relegation etc.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1041 on: November 11, 2019, 09:33:41 PM »
Between Dermot Gallacher and now Neil Swarbrick (On 5Live this afternoon), I think we're being taken for mugs.

You'd expect Swarbrick to try to defend himself, but his self delusion is monumental:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50380641

7/10 so far?  It's absolutely dreadful, every single weekend, and is getting worse.  The worst thing is the appalling lack of consistency.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1042 on: November 11, 2019, 11:30:32 PM »
One thing I’ve not seen mentioned about yesterday’s VAR decision (on the handball), was that it led to a goal. Surely that should have been chalked off, like the Man City (v Spyrs) goal was earlier in the season?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1043 on: November 11, 2019, 11:32:24 PM »
No, because I wanted Man City to win.

Basically VAR is out to get me personally. Pissing me off is the only thing it has been consistent in.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1044 on: November 12, 2019, 12:46:08 AM »
Apparently the refs have now decided to make more use of the pitch side monitor because only the on field ref understands the "atmosphere" of the game.

Which I think is code for "you'll never get a penalty at Anfield"!

Offline KRS

« Reply #1045 on: November 12, 2019, 12:50:31 AM »
One thing I’ve not seen mentioned about yesterday’s VAR decision (on the handball), was that it led to a goal. Surely that should have been chalked off, like the Man City (v Spyrs) goal was earlier in the season?
They mentioned it on MOTD2. Whilst they agreed it should have been a penalty to Man City for the handball, I think it was Shearer who suggested that it would have been toxic (or something like that) to disallow the goal and award a penalty instead.

Edit: “bedlam” is how Shearer described it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:15:34 AM by KRS »

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1046 on: November 12, 2019, 08:09:13 AM »

You'd expect Swarbrick to try to defend himself, but his self delusion is monumental:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50380641

7/10 so far?  It's absolutely dreadful, every single weekend, and is getting worse.  The worst thing is the appalling lack of consistency.
Listen to him, pompous little prat. He said on TS earlier that "var is here to stay & people will have to give them time to perfect it" Says who? It's not down to the referees it's down to the football governing bodies whether it's here to stay or not. The arrogance of them these days is laughable. They seem to think the crowds and the TV companies are there to watch them! Apparently ours is the last league to implement it. One year behind all other associations so they could get it right! And they spent the whole year travelling the globe on a massive all expenses jolly to observe. Fuck me.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1047 on: November 12, 2019, 08:42:34 AM »
It seems to me, standing back and half closing your eyes,  the referees are clinging to their power to arbitrate.  The laughable reference to only they understanding the "atmosphere" of a game is a weasel way of saying that they demand the right to be partisan.  A free kick in the outfield is a free kick is a free kick.  A free kick in a penalty area is a penalty but it might directly affect the outcome of the game so referees assume the right to arbitrate.  That is de facto bias.

What we have with VAR is machines partly running games.  It used to work perfectly ( because errors we accepted as part of the game) when humans ran the games.  VAR can only work when it runs every bit of the game robotically.  The mixture of technolgy and human judgement is an attempt to grow oranges on an apple tree.  The hybrid system we have currently is a Norwegian Blue parrot.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1048 on: November 12, 2019, 06:29:57 PM »
... What we have with VAR is machines partly running games.  It used to work perfectly ( because errors we accepted as part of the game) when humans ran the games.  VAR can only work when it runs every bit of the game robotically.  The mixture of technolgy and human judgement is an attempt to grow oranges on an apple tree.  The hybrid system we have currently is a Norwegian Blue parrot.
Disagree, Brian.
The technology is providing humans with more 'data' to make decisions. The problem now is that the human foibles are being exposed and the previously-undisclosed dilemma of the ref making judgement-calls is being laid bare (Think Dowd at Wembley in 2010 for an example of a ref who admitted to bringing his judgement into what was a binary and b&w decision).
Additionally, the frailty of the laws is also being exposed - when is a handball a freekick / penalty vs contact with a body part that makes no difference to the play? Can a player be offisde if a toe-nail crosses a computer-generated line?
I have no problem with the technology: I have a problem with its application and with the concept that referees should judge whether to apply the rules or not, and these are the issues that needs to be addressed by the game's administrators.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1049 on: November 12, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
I believe you can't  have some technology.  All in or not at all.  If Cambridge scientists can programme a piece of wood slime to draw a full colour map of the Tokyo underground, as they can, robotic scanning of every move of every player in a game of football has to be a serious consideration.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal