collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:51:38 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:51:38 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:50:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 10:47:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 10:46:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 10:45:42 AM]

[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343821 times)

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: VAR
« Reply #405 on: September 01, 2019, 08:14:35 AM »
Some odd VAR decisions in the leicester game too.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #406 on: September 01, 2019, 08:26:21 AM »
As with the handball laws I think the use or misuse of VAR has thrown up issues/inconsistencies with the rules around simulation. If there's a situation where there is contact but it is not a foul (which it is arguable is the situation in the penalty area yesterday) is it fair to book the player who's gone down? Being hyper-critical you could say Jack went down flamboyantly and certainly Conor was appealing strongly for a pen even if Jack wasn't. Personally I think it is harsh in the extreme to book someone for diving when there has been contact, see also the Man U player last week. Also I should add I think you could easily have given a pen there and Palace wouldn't have had much complaint. To go completely the other way and penalise us is just baffling. We have been extremely unlucky to be the victim of a ridiculous decision which by all accounts was the icing on the cake of a one eyed display. This has then been compounded by a chain of events that have meant that VAR is in no position to right this wrong.

Online The Edge

« Reply #407 on: September 01, 2019, 08:50:47 AM »
As with the handball laws I think the use or misuse of VAR has thrown up issues/inconsistencies with the rules around simulation. If there's a situation where there is contact but it is not a foul (which it is arguable is the situation in the penalty area yesterday) is it fair to book the player who's gone down? Being hyper-critical you could say Jack went down flamboyantly and certainly Conor was appealing strongly for a pen even if Jack wasn't. Personally I think it is harsh in the extreme to book someone for diving when there has been contact, see also the Man U player last week. Also I should add I think you could easily have given a pen there and Palace wouldn't have had much complaint. To go completely the other way and penalise us is just baffling. We have been extremely unlucky to be the victim of a ridiculous decision which by all accounts was the icing on the cake of a one eyed display. This has then been compounded by a chain of events that have meant that VAR is in no position to right this wrong.
The one thing you can't blame Friend for is the sending off of Trezeguet. His assault on Zaha while already on a deserved yellow was just plain stupid.  I've been pretty underwhelmed by him up to now. Having said all that i think Chris Kamaras reaction on Sky live commentary was very telling "Kevin Friend seemed very happy to send a Villa player off. He couldn't wait to show the red card and he looked like he relished it" An independant view that tells a story of the refs performance yesterday.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #408 on: September 01, 2019, 09:05:30 AM »
Some odd VAR decisions in the leicester game too.

Yes,  the decision to book Wilson for diving was very iffy, a player can fall and it not be either a penalty or a dive. I thought he got the Tienemans one right, it looked bad but I think he was trying to pul!out of the challenge.

Offline Rico

« Reply #409 on: September 01, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »
I suspect someone somewhere has had a very large bet on Palace to win one nil, and Villa to finnish with ten players.

Online The Edge

« Reply #410 on: September 01, 2019, 10:23:14 AM »
All things considered i've come to the conclusion that VAR could become the worst thing to happen to the game in it's 140 odd year existence. It's fundementally changed the whole spirit of the game. But unfortunately i think it's here to stay.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »
I suspect someone somewhere has had a very large bet on Palace to win one nil, and Villa to finnish with ten players.
I think I know who. He's no Friend of ours.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #412 on: September 01, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »
Did the referee actually blow? The immediate actions of our players suggest that he didn’t.

It looks like a very easy cop out for the FA to claim this.

Although it is only a point and most likely won’t have any impact come the end of the season, it’s heaped immense pressure on us for the next game and possibly the one afterwards as well.

A point under the circumstances yesterday would have been massive and a tremendous confidence booster.

That bloke should never be let near a PL match again.  It’s probably the worst refereeing decision I’ve ever seen.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #413 on: September 01, 2019, 12:01:24 PM »
If you are disappointed by yesterday’s decision that is exactly why we need VAR.  We shouldn’t be ‘fucking it off’ we should be tweaking and improving it so ****** like Friend can’t keep ruining games in the future.

There will always be a bedding in period and as and when it has been sorted out the pain of this season will hopefully have been worth it.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2019, 12:06:26 PM »
If you are disappointed by yesterday’s decision that is exactly why we need VAR.  We shouldn’t be ‘fucking it off’ we should be tweaking and improving it so c***s like Friend can’t keep ruining games in the future.

There will always be a bedding in period and as and when it has been sorted out the pain of this season will hopefully have been worth it.

The argument is that if the whistle was blown, you cannot fall back on VAR.

The ref was at fault 2 fold.  Firstly for deeming it a dive and secondly blowing his whistle thus denying us the opportunity to use VAR which would have allowed the goal to stand.

This incident aside, VAR is becoming controversial and inconsistent every batch of fixtures that are played.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #415 on: September 01, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
Did the referee actually blow?

Dunno but he definitely sucked.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #416 on: September 01, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »
You never see his hand go towards his mouth so he must have had the whistle already in his mouth ready to blow before play even developed.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #417 on: September 01, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
If you are disappointed by yesterday’s decision that is exactly why we need VAR.  We shouldn’t be ‘fucking it off’ we should be tweaking and improving it so c***s like Friend can’t keep ruining games in the future.

The ref was at fault 2 fold.  Firstly for deeming it a dive and secondly blowing his whistle thus denying us the opportunity to use VAR which would have allowed the goal to stand.

This incident aside, VAR is becoming controversial and inconsistent every batch of fixtures that are played.
I agree.  But refs will learn to start working with VAR and hopefully let situations like yesterday play out.  Friend fucked up so badly yesterday VAR couldn’t step in.  Hopefully in future it will be able to.

Offline Davkaus

« Reply #418 on: September 01, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »
You never see his hand go towards his mouth so he must have had the whistle already in his mouth ready to blow before play even developed.

Loads of people are saying this since Linekar's throw away comment. You don't see him blow his whistle because from all angles that were broadcast, he's taken out of the shot for a second as the ball moves out to Lansbury, but he blows the whistle just as Lansbury is lining up the shot, which was pretty piss poor.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:45:03 PM by Davkaus »

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #419 on: September 01, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »

I agree.  But refs will learn to start working with VAR and hopefully let situations like yesterday play out.  Friend fucked up so badly yesterday VAR couldn’t step in.  Hopefully in future it will be able to.
Deliberately, IMHO.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal