collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343941 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: VAR
« Reply #375 on: August 31, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »
Friend didn't cheat and it's pretty saft saying he did, and I don't think VAR checked the decision at the time. Or even if it did it couldn't overrule on the goal if Friend had already blown for the 'dive'.

What should happen, imo, is that in that situation now we have VAR even if the ref thinks there's a dive play continues, if a goal is scored and ref immediately indicates a VAR check. He says "I felt X player dived, please check if he did" and VAR looks and says yes he did or no he didn't.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #376 on: August 31, 2019, 05:56:54 PM »
VAR could not have given us the goal back, as the ref, mistakenly in my view, blew his whistle before we scored.

As far as I'm aware, VAR is not yet going to be used for every free kick or foul given, unless it results in a penalty or denies a penalty.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #377 on: August 31, 2019, 06:00:38 PM »
The premier league directive is the issue.

It's odd as in FA cup you've had refs going to monitors constantly to look at decisions. I know the time delay annoys people as much but at least the ref is getting visual evidence of whether his decision is right or not rather than just a word in the ear.

Don't think I've seen a ref yet this season go and watch a monitor pitch side. Put one by the corner flag if people are worried about the time it will take.

How many Premier League screens have big screens in their grounds to show replays anyway? They don't need to come over to the touchline to view a small screen when it's being shown to the crowd seconds later anyway.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #378 on: August 31, 2019, 06:04:54 PM »
It's pointless. I didn't like it, and I like it even less tonight.

No doubt we'll get Alan Shearer telling us all about it again on the big screen at Villa Park before the West Ham me.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #379 on: August 31, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »
Gary Lineker

The disallowed goal for @AVFCOfficial in the last minute has to be seen to be believed. Why VAR didn’t correct what appeared to be an awful refereeing error is beyond me.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #380 on: August 31, 2019, 06:31:28 PM »
Utterly pointless if it isn’t going to correct stuff like that.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #381 on: August 31, 2019, 06:40:16 PM »
Friend didn't cheat and it's pretty saft saying he did, and I don't think VAR checked the decision at the time. Or even if it did it couldn't overrule on the goal if Friend had already blown for the 'dive'.

What should happen, imo, is that in that situation now we have VAR even if the ref thinks there's a dive play continues, if a goal is scored and ref immediately indicates a VAR check. He says "I felt X player dived, please check if he did" and VAR looks and says yes he did or no he didn't.

As ever PWS trouble with that is far too much common sense would be applied and we see frequently in Football it's rarely used on and off the pitch.

To think a player has dived and actually book them you must be 100% and well from the replays it simply wasn't due to contact from at least one Palace player.

Really poor and exactly the sort of decision that should be looked at and reversed.

Only thing I would say is last week Jack had similar run in at the other end with Richarlison. I thought there was enough there for a penalty tbh and was amazed it wasn't referred.

So we lose out on point today but could've easily struggled to get one last week if that was given and Everton had scored to go one up.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #382 on: August 31, 2019, 06:42:25 PM »
It's not pointless, it needs to be used properly. And Friend needs to be banned, stop using VAR as a reason to excuse the cheating bastard

VAR supported his decision. Which we all agree - as do all neutrals I've seen comment on the decision - was incorrect. So what's the point of VAR then?

Where has this info come from please?

If accurate that’s pretty scary that Friend wasn’t the only imbecile on the ref team.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #383 on: August 31, 2019, 06:43:14 PM »
The premier league directive is the issue.

It's odd as in FA cup you've had refs going to monitors constantly to look at decisions. I know the time delay annoys people as much but at least the ref is getting visual evidence of whether his decision is right or not rather than just a word in the ear.

Don't think I've seen a ref yet this season go and watch a monitor pitch side. Put one by the corner flag if people are worried about the time it will take.

How many Premier League screens have big screens in their grounds to show replays anyway? They don't need to come over to the touchline to view a small screen when it's being shown to the crowd seconds later anyway.

Just going by what they do at World cups and in the foreign leagues, always a monitor on the halfway line by the dugouts.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #384 on: August 31, 2019, 06:44:26 PM »
The frustration of VAR is that this utopia of getting everything right just doesn't exist so both ourselves today and Spurs last week feel doubly hard done by which is surely not the intention. It sounds like Freind had a stinker, you can view it as cheating or incompetence, but if we go down by a point it will be our own fault, not down to him. We still have plenty of time to redress the balance.

VAR is as flawed as the team of officials it claims to help.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #385 on: August 31, 2019, 09:24:19 PM »
Indeed, so maybe get an independent group working on VAR and not guys that will be in the VAR office one week and refereeing on the pitch the next week.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #386 on: August 31, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »
It's not pointless, it needs to be used properly. And Friend needs to be banned, stop using VAR as a reason to excuse the cheating bastard

VAR supported his decision. Which we all agree - as do all neutrals I've seen comment on the decision - was incorrect. So what's the point of VAR then?

Where has this info come from please?

If accurate that’s pretty scary that Friend wasn’t the only imbecile on the ref team.

Reported as follows in the Telegraph amongst other sources: "A Premier League official at Selhurst Park confirmed the decision would have been reviewed by VAR as a matter of course."

As I said before it doesn't work so fuck it out the window.

Offline ez

« Reply #387 on: August 31, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »
If var had been used it would at least have cast doubt on Friend's decision. I expect Friend didn't use var because he was worried about what the response would be. A bit like, if you don't like the answer don't ask the question.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #388 on: August 31, 2019, 09:44:48 PM »
VAR won’t solve corrupt officiating.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #389 on: August 31, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »
You have just described corrupt activity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal