collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343775 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: VAR
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2019, 04:51:33 PM »
Its a good point. VAR itself isn’t the issue (although the interminable delays aren’t great), so much as the fact that by trying to impose 100% accuracy it’s highlighting flaws and ambiguities in the rules themselves.

Offline KRS

« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »
I've said it several times before and I will say it again...you can't implement a technology based system whilst using old rules. The rules of the game need to be updated and adapted in line with the implementation of new technology.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2019, 05:00:48 PM »
I don't think the replay footage should be slowed down. They can either see something or they can't. They've the benefit of different angles, and rewatching any number of times. Slow-mo and boomeranging makes anybody doing anything look guilty.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2019, 05:03:02 PM »
I don't think the replay footage should be slowed down. They can either see something or they can't. They've the benefit of different angles, and rewatching any number of times. Slow-mo and boomeranging makes anybody doing anything look guilty.
Which is a problem that video-reffing in Rugby suffers from, in my opinion.

Offline frank black

« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2019, 05:17:46 PM »
Refs don’t know they when they even things up. It’s subconscious bias

Bollocks.

Debating badge awarded 😉

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2019, 05:21:41 PM »
It's all down to the refs.  All VAR does is provide information.  Sometimes the info is clear, sometimes it's unclear.  What happens next is the ref's decision.  And as we all know the quality of reffing is variable to say the least.  Seems to me at the moment that too many of them are relying too much on unclear information.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
Yes, apologies.  I meant to write utter bollocks!

Offline KRS

« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2019, 05:34:46 PM »
Absolutely agree with this. The players actions are committed at full speed so any decisions should be based on replays at full speed too with as many camera angles as available. Sure there will be purists saying that we have the technology so we should use it, but leave the slow motion replays for the tv pundits to discuss and debate after the game.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2019, 06:02:53 PM »
Absolutely agree with this. The players actions are committed at full speed so any decisions should be based on replays at full speed too with as many camera angles as available. Sure there will be purists saying that we have the technology so we should use it, but leave the slow motion replays for the tv pundits to discuss and debate after the game.
How will that increase the number of correct decisions?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2019, 06:27:01 PM »
I couldn't give a shit about achieving the correct decision being the be all and end all, if I'm honest.

Offline KRS

« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »
I’m not convinced that slow motion replays result in the correct decision. As many ppl have said previously, slow motion replays can make incidents appear to be intentional or much worse than they are. This also has a crossover into the minimal contact debate that will no doubt see many players going down and penalties awarded for incidents which would not have done so previously without VAR in slow motion.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
I’m not convinced that slow motion replays result in the correct decision. As many ppl have said previously, slow motion replays can make incidents appear to be intentional or much worse than they are. This also has a crossover into the minimal contact debate that will no doubt see many players going down and penalties awarded for incidents which would not have done so previously without VAR in slow motion.
Yeah but you could equally say that in real time a lot gets missed.  And players already go down like flies for non-existent things.

Offline postal

« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »
I don't like VAR, one point is I think it makes the linemen either lazy, or takes responsibility away from that they should have. Will they be removed to be replaced by a computer soon?
The game will become sterile, as every decision is over anaysised.
And as for the new handball rule.....

Either way the genie is out of the bottle.

Anyway we overheard a boy and a girl play football, and one said 'we need to look at VAR...'  ::)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
Which is a problem that video-reffing in Rugby suffers from, in my opinion.

This is true. On the other hand the standard of officiating in rugby is a gazillion times better, the rules are clearer and technology has been embraced far earlier, and integrated better, which is probably the decisive factor.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2019, 03:03:46 PM »
Another England goal disallowed by an alleged handball by White as she controlled the ball and was being challenged by a Swedish defender. The camera angles available were unable to show if it was clearly or definitely handball, however the ref decided to disallow it even though the footage does not prove beyond doubt that it was handball.

The poor camera angles and zoom available is another flaw in the VAR system, and I don't believe they can be entirely accurate particularly "from when the ball was played" for offsides for this very reason (a single frame backwards or forwards for the ball leaving the foot can make the difference between onside or offside). For offsides too, there also seems to be inconsistency over which part of the body makes a player offside...the other day it was Whites elbow that was offside against the USA players foot.

Second paragraph is very good point. Argentina-Chile yesterday, Chile were (correctly) awarded penalty but one of main angles ref had to decide from whether foul was in or out of the area was long range camera shot from top of main stand.

If people remember the Liverpool-WBA game a couple of years back I remember the ref going to the replay booth and assumed he'd have some super slow closed ups, instead he was having to decide on a penalty from a camera angle that was seemingly perched on top of Liverpool's main stand which is miles up.

Don't understand with 20-30 cameras in stadium showing the game there isn't better available especially as you get these spider cameras above the play now.

It will certainly be odd for the first one at VP next season. Us scoring, thinking "he looks half a yard offside there", celebrating and then as the players run back the ref puts his hand to his ear...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal