collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by KRS
[Today at 11:03:17 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 11:01:12 AM]

VAR by Risso
[Today at 11:01:08 AM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:58:20 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Risso
[Today at 10:56:14 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:35:10 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by KRS
[Today at 11:03:17 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 11:01:12 AM]

Re: VAR by Risso
[Today at 11:01:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:58:20 AM]

Re: VAR by Drummond
[Today at 10:57:38 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Risso
[Today at 10:56:14 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Drummond
[Today at 10:55:33 AM]

Re: VAR by OCD
[Today at 10:54:05 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v WBA Post Match Thread  (Read 44203 times)

Online danno

Re: Aston Villa v WBA Post Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2019, 05:30:24 PM »
Taylor doesn't back himself much, does he? I thought him and El Ghazi were very good down that side, and they repeatedly worked Taylor into some brilliant positions, but never delivered a telling blow. Frustrating.

Yep happened a few times today, he'd try to play a ball inside (that just wasn't on) rather than just have a shot. Fair enough he's never scored a goal but sometimes if nothing is on you may as well have a go.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2019, 05:30:40 PM »
I think Whelan will start as Connor is weak defensively.
We need to not concede first if possible.

Disagree, Whelan was poor today. Hourihane gave Jack in particular more licence to get forward. Whelan isn't a goal threat, Connor is. Whelan fucked up royally for Gayle's goal.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2019, 05:35:18 PM »
I think Whelan will start as Connor is weak defensively.
We need to not concede first if possible.

Disagree, Whelan was poor today. Hourihane gave Jack in particular more licence to get forward. Whelan isn't a goal threat, Connor is. Whelan fucked up royally for Gayle's goal.
I guess Dean Smith will have the final say. :o

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
Some selection headaches for Deano ahead of Tuesday.  Conor was great when he came on, I think Albert's experience and work rate will earn him a start.  I don't normally like changing a winning team but mindful that we don't need to win on Tuesday, I would be tempted to swap Taylor for Hause.  Today was Taylor's worst game for some time and they also targeted him by playing high balls over to Philips.

Great win that I couldn't see coming on 70 minutes and naturally, FTA.
Taylor was my man of the match

Im guessing that is ironic?

Taylor was massively the weak link both offensively and defensively
Your username is a giveaway

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2019, 05:36:18 PM »
Mings' distribution was shocking today, and McGinn was like a man who'd just been told his best mate was shagging his wife.
We surely cannot play that badly on Tuesday?!
Elmo, Ghazi and Taylor played okay; Green did alright when he came on. Hourihane continues his recent form, looking like the player we thought we'd bought and Abraham did what he could. Credit to him for the pen after that terrible one at Rotherham.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2019, 05:44:03 PM »
We were still by far and away the better side, even if we weren't at full throttle.

The Albion were one of the worst sides to play at Villa Park. Fucking awful.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »
We were still by far and away the better side, even if we weren't at full throttle.

Worse than the rags. And as for their 'penalty', get the fuck outta here you fucking desperate tramps.

Online danno

« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2019, 05:51:31 PM »
The Pulis comparisons are apt. There were a couple of times they looked like they might get something from a corner.

End of the day though they came for a 0-0 got gifted a goal and still lost, the stripey tw*ts.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2019, 05:52:51 PM »

Worse than the rags. And as for their 'penalty', get the fuck outta here you fucking desperate tramps.

I can’t believe any Albion fan has got the gall to moan about refereeing decisions after the game in December

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2019, 05:52:58 PM »
Great day out.  Fairly poor first half, and most of the team were surprisingly sloppy.  Weight of expectations perhaps?  Whelan had one of his worst games for ages, which I would put down to a long, hard season catching up with him.  I hope Smith plays Hause at left back for the away leg, because Taylor is really, really, really crap.  Mings wasn't at his imperious best today, but Axel played some nice balls out.  Hourihane coming on really breathed life into the team, and from that moment there was only going to be one winner.  Superb atmosphere at the start until they scored, and then for most of the second half.

And I was sat a few seats away from David Bradley, aka Walder Frey from Game of Thrones, who I now know is a huge Villa fan.  He was joining in with the "Fuck the Albion" chants with more gusto than I imagine would be good for a man of his years.

Offline mike

« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
Some selection headaches for Deano ahead of Tuesday.  Conor was great when he came on, I think Albert's experience and work rate will earn him a start.  I don't normally like changing a winning team but mindful that we don't need to win on Tuesday, I would be tempted to swap Taylor for Hause.  Today was Taylor's worst game for some time and they also targeted him by playing high balls over to Philips.

Great win that I couldn't see coming on 70 minutes and naturally, FTA.
Taylor was my man of the match

Im guessing that is ironic?

Taylor was massively the weak link both offensively and defensively
Your username is a giveaway

I always presumed it referred to the magnificent Ian Taylor.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »
Wow what a great afternoon at VP - terrific atmosphere and deafening noise!
Watching on a good stream, I thought it was quiet and flat for long periods.

Agreed and I was there. Their goal quietend us down for the rest of the first half

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2019, 05:55:24 PM »
And I was sat a few seats away from David Bradley, aka Walder Frey from Game of Thrones, who I now know is a huge Villa fan.  He was joining in with the "Fuck the Albion" chants with more gusto than I imagine would be good for a man of his years.

But I thought that was common knowledge and everyone who has ever visited this site knew that?  ::)

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »
I think the better team found a way to win. It wasn't easy to do so but they did. Once the first went in, I wanted another two which would've been brilliant.

I think Villa will run this lot off their legs in the second leg and will have to soak up less pressure than their opposition, it'll be a bit of a grind at times but as long as they don't lose their shape drastically, they'll conjure up a decent goal and nick another and onto Wembley. Not cocky but that's what I'd predict from here, tactically they approached the first leg a little too predictably, just can't see WBA offering too much more. Any sign that it opens up, open slather, they will dead set shit themselves.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:58:39 PM by Havencheese »

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
I wouldn't want to be behind Dwight Gayle in the half time queues for a beer on Tuesday night. You'd never get served!

The most negative team I've seen this season, maybe bar QPR. Good to see Tony Pulis back in football again.

We weren't at the races at times today, but if we get firing on Tuesday, they've got no chance. Get the first goal and kill the game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal