collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by olaftab
[Today at 04:48:55 PM]

Champions League Contention by Olneythelonely
[Today at 04:46:49 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 04:44:20 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R24;Europa Conf🏆 QF ASTON VILLA v Lille OSC! 🥧 by Louzie0
[Today at 04:43:48 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 04:31:41 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 04:29:17 PM]

MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:26:39 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 04:25:59 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 04:48:55 PM]

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 04:47:16 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Olneythelonely
[Today at 04:46:49 PM]

Re: FFP by aev
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 04:44:20 PM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R24;Europa Conf🏆 QF ASTON VILLA v Lille OSC! 🥧 by Louzie0
[Today at 04:43:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 04:43:00 PM]

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:42:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v WBA Post Match Thread  (Read 44217 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Aston Villa v WBA Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »
The Villa Thread on SHA is magical reading............the bitterness and hatred is something to behold. Without us they would literally be nothing. The Albion fans aren't far behind them now having said that.

https://www.that lot.com/read.php?1,2677918,page=13

To be fair the Dogheads are getting on the bandwagon - don't understand never used to hear a beep out of them prior to last year

Online tomd2103

« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »
Thought Albion set their stall out early on with the constant time wasting and defensive approach. We gifted them a goal and they then seemed quite content to sit on that and try and hit us on the break.  We had plenty of the ball, but the quality in the final third wasn't really there and we struggled to break them down.

It was getting to the point where I'd have settled for a draw, but I thought the changes lifted the tempo a bit and we produced a few moments of quality to win us the game.

Far from over, but we are in a good position.  They will have to try and come at us on Tuesday and I think that will suit us better.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2019, 04:56:56 PM »
Not only do we have the enjoyment of winning, we have the added enjoyment of loads of fans of loads other clubs being gutted as well. It's ace.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2019, 04:57:45 PM »
caller on WM said wasn't  penalty , they should have had one and Gayle shouldn't have been sent off..love the unbiased opinions..

No that was Jimmy Shan their caretaker coach / under 9s manager.
No it was a caller.. Shan said he had no complaints about the penalty.the follow up caller made teh comments

Yes you’re right. I was skipping back and forth as kept losing the connection.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »
I think the penalty chance for them was probably lucky not to be given but what went in our favour was that Tammy jumped fairly early and their guy stayed on the ground so it could be taken that Tammy put hands out to start going over the top of him.

He was also looking solely at the ball as soon as it left his foot on his first attempted clearance. If he was looking at the man I think it would have been given.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
I don't get this " it's far from over" opinion. It's over. This was their big chance to get away with a draw. They have reverted to horrific Pulis methods under Jimmy Shan including those laughable long throws. Parked their bus and nearly got away with it but didn't. On Tuesday they are going to have to open up as they need to win by 2 clear. No chance of that.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
I just hope it is third time lucky in 8 days on the team without their best players not fluking the result in the 2nd leg.   :-\ 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2019, 05:05:46 PM »
I don't get this " it's far from over" opinion. It's over. This was their big chance to get away with a draw. They have reverted to horrific Pulis methods under Jimmy Shan including those laughable long throws. Parked their bus and nearly got away with it but didn't. On Tuesday they are going to have to open up as they need to win by 2 clear. No chance of that.

They could win by 1 and then win on penalties. It is far from over, better teams than us have fucked up against shitter sides than the bitters. I don't want there to be any complacency.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
Just seen the Gayle sending off. It’s a funny one as you’d want your striker attacking the ball like that so a collision with the keeper is inevitable.

But then if it had been a 50/50 in the centre circle and he was that late to the ball it would be a straight red.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
I think the penalty chance for them was probably lucky not to be given but what went in our favour was that Tammy jumped fairly early and their guy stayed on the ground so it could be taken that Tammy put hands out to start going over the top of him.

He was also looking solely at the ball as soon as it left his foot on his first attempted clearance. If he was looking at the man I think it would have been given.

Yep, that as well. I freely admit I'd be pissed if it wasn't given for us but I can see how the ref decided it wasn't a foul. Ours was much clearer, some people saw a slow-mo from the reverse angle where there wasn't much contact and have convinced themselves it was soft but if you dive in like that and don't get the ball you just don't get away with it, was just a really poor challenge (same as Gayle for his 2nd yellow).

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »
Good stuff - can relax now whilst waiting for the Baby_Bridge to arrive hopefully before Tuesday.
Great Rob. Hope all goes well.

Thanks chap

if he's a boy will he be Jack or Aston?

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »
Hourihane in for Whelan who made a dreadful error. Hause in for Taylor who was also poor today.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2019, 05:15:38 PM »
I thought they'd sacked Pulis?

Fouling, making a thrown your only means of hitting the box, time wasting, diving, play acting, sitting with 11 men behind the ball. When Hourihane scores, there are at least 10 Albion players deeper than the penalty spot.

What an absolute shower of shite the Albion were at trying to play football.

Gayle is a disgraceful little cheat and should have been sent off before he was for a blatant yellow card challenge on Grealish.

Felt we lacked the tempo in the final 3rd. It's not easy when you're playing a plucky small club intent on only defending, but we didn't help ourselves.

When  it was clear that Albion would sit deep and lump aimless long balls down the channel, to nobody in particular, Hourihane should have come on as jes much more of a threat.

Bit of nerves between Taylor and Steer, a moment of madness from Whelan, but by and large we dominated possession, territory and chances. Just nothing hugely clear cut.

The equaliser was more than deserved though and the winner felt inevitable. Glad Gayle is banned, as he is a danger. It should also mean they need to open up more with 433 on Tuesday.

First goal is key. If we can get that, then we will win the tie.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2019, 05:16:58 PM »
Good stuff - can relax now whilst waiting for the Baby_Bridge to arrive hopefully before Tuesday.
Great Rob. Hope all goes well.

Thanks chap

if he's a boy will he be Jack or Aston?

Well unofficial names at the very least

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »
I think Whelan will start as Connor is weak defensively.
We need to not concede first if possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal