collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909679 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #345 on: May 28, 2019, 11:57:02 AM »
Sky are linking us with a move for Kalvin Phillips at Leeds. Good player, man-marked Grealish quite effectively at Elland Road. Would send the Leeds fans into meltdown too!

Phillips is very good indeed, and would slot nicely into our midfield.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #346 on: May 28, 2019, 11:59:09 AM »
How about Luka Jovic from Eintracht Frankfurt? Only 21 as well.

Would be good if he weren't (apparently) signing for Real Madrid.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #347 on: May 28, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »
Can't see them competing if he thinks Villa are interested, tbh.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #348 on: May 28, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
it's nothing to do with the amount of money spent and all to do with the way it's spent (see Fulham)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #349 on: May 28, 2019, 12:14:42 PM »
Has Jed dropped some massive clangers I've forgotten?

I said when we first brought Johnstone in that there wasn't much between him and Steer so we might as well just give Steer a go.

Can't say that the last couple of years have shown anything to change my mind from that position.

I really like Steer and he was so assured yesterday. However I thought Johnstone was outstanding last season for us. Bit shy on the line at set piece time but a brilliant shot stopper. His save from Adamoah in the semi was outrageous.

Any keeper business is probably dependent on one if not two of Nyland and Kalinic going. Both on long contracts, Kalinic is hardly as poor as he looked in his few appearances for us.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #350 on: May 28, 2019, 12:17:04 PM »
Why the assumption among some fans that spending loads of money means "we will do a Fulham"? Why not do a Wolves, or even a Man City?

The only guarantee you can make with spending is that if we don't spend big we will be in trouble.

We should be looking to spend serious cash and do so a lot better than Fulham did. Our owners won't be targeting 17th place. Top half is realistic first season aim.

Your kidding right? That basically means we got to come in the top 4 of the lower Premier League (the top 6 are out of sight at the moment and that means a league of 14). We need to get realistic here else silly decisions will ensue. There is no need to rush out way back to greatness - let’s do one thing at a time and first season back, solidify our place as a top tier club - if that means 13th or 14th I’ll take that right now thank you because it means that $200m turns into $300m and we can then climb to the next level. We need astute management and sensible expectations next season else we will go the way of those before us who have got it all wrong in their first season back in the big league

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #351 on: May 28, 2019, 12:27:13 PM »
yes but Fulham did spend big and were in trouble. So much so we are watching them go down the elevator.
Quite a few assumptions there.

The team that has been promoted are a decent side that earned a play off position with a great run, and delivered, just, in a three game shoot out.

This is by no means a great side, nor one that “has to be kept together”.

We  finished fifth, won seven fewer games than Norwich the Champions, and conceded nine more than Stoke who finished sixteenth. Nine teams conceded fewer goals than we did. Only two sides scored more. Is John Terry providing value as our defensive coach?

The back five need looking at, as do the defensive qualities of our midfield.

Fulham recruited badly. Man City can afford £100m of mistakes, they could not. The Wolves side that went up was better than ours, and needed fewer replacements. We cannot “do a Wolves”, the Fulham disaster was that they had to buy more players than Wolves did, and failed.
If we do not buy enough players we will fail. If we buy too many we will fail.

We also need to hold on to the talent we do have. Beyond Abraham, Grealish, El Ghazi and McGinn, how many of the others could we not comfortably improve upon? If we lose two or more of those four we will be in trouble.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #352 on: May 28, 2019, 12:27:41 PM »
Phillips would be fantastic and exactly what we need behind John and Jack. Really like him.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #353 on: May 28, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »
What does this mean for James Justin from Luton?  Is he good enough for the Prem so will we follow through with our reported interest? Same question applies to Freddie Gilbert who we have already signed?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #354 on: May 28, 2019, 12:47:48 PM »

I said when we first brought Johnstone in that there wasn't much between him and Steer so we might as well just give Steer a go.

Can't say that the last couple of years have shown anything to change my mind from that position.

Thought Johnstone was excellent for us in 17/18 and if the Olbiyun are on a full-on economising drive now, I wouldn't be against us pursuing that one again.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #355 on: May 28, 2019, 12:52:05 PM »

Thought Johnstone was excellent for us in 17/18 and if the Olbiyun are on a full-on economising drive now, I wouldn't be against us pursuing that one again.

I thought he was absolutely fine. A solid, unfussy keeper.

But when Steer has basically been a fine, solid, unfussy keeper is there a need to spend even more money on goalkeepers?

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #356 on: May 28, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »
Sign the loanees (if poss) a couple of smart additions as well. Keep the team spirit.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #357 on: May 28, 2019, 01:01:20 PM »
Steer has looked better since the turn of the year - but he was playing behind Championship equivalent of McGrath and Baresi rolled into one. The second leg of the play-off aside, I don't recall him having to do a whole lot.

Off the top of my head I can recall Johnstone being worth extra points against Sheff Utd and Wed away, Leeds at home and a few others. That's what a good keeper does - earns you points you probably don't deserve.

He quickly seemed to develop an understanding with Terry and Chester as well; to the point that if balls were coming in from the flanks, you'd have few concerns about him dealing with it.

It would be hard to do that to Steer after the final third of the campaign we've had. So I'm glad it's not my call to make.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #358 on: May 28, 2019, 01:22:09 PM »
yes but Fulham did spend big and were in trouble. So much so we are watching them go down the elevator.
Quite a few assumptions there.

The team that has been promoted are a decent side that earned a play off position with a great run, and delivered, just, in a three game shoot out.

This is by no means a great side, nor one that “has to be kept together”.

We  finished fifth, won seven fewer games than Norwich the Champions, and conceded nine more than Stoke who finished sixteenth. Nine teams conceded fewer goals than we did. Only two sides scored more. Is John Terry providing value as our defensive coach?

The back five need looking at, as do the defensive qualities of our midfield.

Fulham recruited badly. Man City can afford £100m of mistakes, they could not. The Wolves side that went up was better than ours, and needed fewer replacements. We cannot “do a Wolves”, the Fulham disaster was that they had to buy more players than Wolves did, and failed.
If we do not buy enough players we will fail. If we buy too many we will fail.

We also need to hold on to the talent we do have. Beyond Abraham, Grealish, El Ghazi and McGinn, how many of the others could we not comfortably improve upon? If we lose two or more of those four we will be in trouble.

There were three different teams this season...

Bruce's team with a crocked James Chester in defence and keepers getting to grips with English football - 3 wins out of 12 - 19 goals conceded

Dean Smith's team with an injured/absent Jack Grealish, half a defence - 8 wins out of 22 - 30 goals conceded

Dean Smith's team with a fully fit Jack and a proper defence - 12 wins out of 15 - 10 goals conceded

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #359 on: May 28, 2019, 01:32:50 PM »
Exactly that London Villan. When people talk about "keeping the team together" they're talking about the team since Janury, the one that won 10 successive games and just got promoted to the Premier League at a canter. No-one's suggesting that we should be doing everything in our power to keep Tommy Elphick and Jedinak at centre-back.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal