collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 910367 times)

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #315 on: May 28, 2019, 09:55:28 AM »
Will we break our transfer record this summer?

A few times I’d guess.

Seems bad form to say this but I think we only have two players who are undoubtedly PL quality, Jack and McGinn.

There is a massive job to do but I’m confident we have the people in place to do it.

It won’t be mass overhaul in one window.  In addition to jack & sgm, El Ghazi will likely get a chance, as will the French right back.  Assuming we are able to sign Mings, the positions we need to look at are LB, central defence, central midfield & striker RW.  Out of that, I haven’t written Tammy off signing yet.  I think Axel will go though.  I’m also very uncomfortable with the goalkeepers despite Steers performance in the second half of the season.

Agree on the keepers. I keep thinking that Jack Butland would be worth a shout, if we could get him for £8-£10m.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #316 on: May 28, 2019, 10:02:51 AM »
I'm not sure we should be splashing out on another keeper when we've not long spent £7m on one. It will be interesting to see if he gives Steer a crack next season though.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #317 on: May 28, 2019, 10:13:04 AM »
Bunn Nyland and one other to go I would have thought which probably still leaves us with ten.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #318 on: May 28, 2019, 10:20:34 AM »
I’d love us to go back for Johnstone.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #319 on: May 28, 2019, 10:21:47 AM »
I'm not sure we should be splashing out on another keeper when we've not long spent £7m on one. It will be interesting to see if he gives Steer a crack next season though.

Kalinic concerns me. I've not seen anything from him so far to suggest he'll be an adequate Premiership number 1. I like Steer, but also don;t think that he's quite good enough either to take us where we need to be.

Offline NottsVilla

« Reply #320 on: May 28, 2019, 10:23:48 AM »
I haven't seen anyone mention Callum Robinson yet but I think he'd be a good signing. Scored 7 goals this season for Preston even though he was injured for more than half the campaign and always looks lively whenever I watch him. Big shame that we lost him when we did.

Only thing that gives me cause for concern is that the Murphy brothers have both struggled to make an impact in the prem despite having solid championship seasons.

Offline NottsVilla

« Reply #321 on: May 28, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »
And maybe Nick Pope as a goalkeeping option?

Didn't play a single PL game last season due to injury and the form of Heaton but looked very good in 17/18 and even made the World Cup squad.

Online Clampy

« Reply #322 on: May 28, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »
I haven't seen anyone mention Callum Robinson yet but I think he'd be a good signing. Scored 7 goals this season for Preston even though he was injured for more than half the campaign and always looks lively whenever I watch him. Big shame that we lost him when we did.

Only thing that gives me cause for concern is that the Murphy brothers have both struggled to make an impact in the prem despite having solid championship seasons.

I think we're going to need better players than Callum Robinson now we're up against the likes of Man City and Liverpool.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #323 on: May 28, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »
Steer needs to work on his kicking but otherwise I'd have no major qualms with keeping his as #1 at least for next season. It's the defense I'm worried about. We need at least 2 new full-backs (not including Guilbert who could go either way) and I'd sign both Mings and Hause assuming Chester can no longer make it through a whole season.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #324 on: May 28, 2019, 10:31:25 AM »
I’d love us to go back for Johnstone.

Fuck that.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #325 on: May 28, 2019, 10:31:33 AM »
Agree on the keepers. I keep thinking that Jack Butland would be worth a shout, if we could get him for £8-£10m.

He’d be a great signing and he need some a move, I remember reading that Man Utd had been quoted £30m for him though.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #326 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:03 AM »
I'm not sure we should be splashing out on another keeper when we've not long spent £7m on one.

It a massive amount for a Championship keeper but pretty small beer when the top 6 are paying 10x that.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #327 on: May 28, 2019, 10:40:15 AM »
Goalkeeper is also pretty much the only position that you can't afford to 'nurture' somebody, particularly in our position now! I was never convinced that Kalinic was Smith's signing to start with, so don't think he'll waste time persevering with him if the coaching staff (particularly Cutler) decide that he's not up to the job - regardless of the fee paid to him.

That said, I think they'll give him pre-season to prove himself capable, before bringing in another keeper.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #328 on: May 28, 2019, 10:42:22 AM »
From The Torygraph:

Five things Aston Villa must do if they are to stay in the Premier League

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/05/28/five-things-aston-villa-must-do-stay-premier-league/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_androidshare_AsjxqB2gNSrN

Agree/disagree?

Interesting point about Whelan. The PL is going to be a step up for a lot of the team, so experience and calm, wise heads will be important.

One thing that Villa must avoid above all is bringing in Billy Big Bollocks players who disrupt the harmony and spirit amongst the squad which has been fundamental in the last third of the season and seeing us through to promotion.

One thing that has stood out since March is that Smith has moulded a team with a one for all, all for one mentality; which needs to be maintained.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #329 on: May 28, 2019, 10:44:55 AM »
Buy Mings and one of the other two centre backs and most of the spine is there, but at the other end I also harbour doubts about whether Tammy can do it consistently enough at PL level. To survive comfortably we need a minimum 15 goal striker.

I also think there's discussions to be had about the goalkeeper.

Still, much rather be having this debate than who we'd be bringing in for a fourth Championship campaign with the parachute payments exhausted!

Sam Johnstone for me as first choice keeper.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal