collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909814 times)

Offline danno

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #330 on: May 28, 2019, 10:46:55 AM »
Has Jed dropped some massive clangers I've forgotten? 

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #331 on: May 28, 2019, 10:48:51 AM »
From The Torygraph:

Five things Aston Villa must do if they are to stay in the Premier League

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/05/28/five-things-aston-villa-must-do-stay-premier-league/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_androidshare_AsjxqB2gNSrN

Agree/disagree?

Interesting point about Whelan. The PL is going to be a step up for a lot of the team, so experience and calm, wise heads will be important.

One thing that Villa must avoid above all is bringing in Billy Big Bollocks players who disrupt the harmony and spirit amongst the squad which has been fundamental in the last third of the season and seeing us through to promotion.

One thing that has stood out since March is that Smith has moulded a team with a one for all, all for one mentality; which needs to be maintained.

Hard to disagree with any of those points. I thing giving Whelan another 12 months could actually be very shrewd. Games won't come as thick-and-fast in the Prem as they have in the Championship and we're going to be losing a lot of experience already with the like of Hutton and Jedinak going. He's obviously well liked within the dressing room,and a player who knows his role and purpose within the squad.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #332 on: May 28, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »
Has Jed dropped some massive clangers I've forgotten?

I said when we first brought Johnstone in that there wasn't much between him and Steer so we might as well just give Steer a go.

Can't say that the last couple of years have shown anything to change my mind from that position.

Offline frank black

« Reply #333 on: May 28, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »
Kalvin Phillips.... make it so Deano please

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #334 on: May 28, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »
Steer is a real steady Eddie, he’s not really saved anything you wouldn’t expect him to nor let in any clangers and , save that mad 10 mins at the Hawthorns, he has radiated a calm we didn’t see from our other keepers. My doubts really stem from him not appearing tall enough but, with PL teams not slinging in as many crosses these days, he probably deserves his shot at the number one spot.

Still think we’ll look at another keeper mind.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #335 on: May 28, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »
Do you think we'll beat our transfer record over the summer?  Maybe more than once?

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #336 on: May 28, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »
I'm torn between being hugely excited at the prospect of wealthy owners finally being able to open their wallets properly, and doing a Fulham by spunking £100m just to get relegated again.

We could comfortably spend £50m just to permanently acquire the players we've had on loan this season (specifically Mings, Hause, Tammy and Anwar - I think Axel is in ManU's first-team plans, for now anyway). So £100m net spend doesn't actually sound that ridiculous, especially if that extra £50m goes on a couple of proper top-end Prem players. Fulham spent £50m on Anguissa and Seri alone.

I'd like to see a proven top-level goalscorer, a winger, LB and a defensive midfielder - all capable of being first-choice in the matchday 11.  Put that with the loans made permanent, and I think we could be mid-table comfortably.

And this sounds incredibly negative, but I really hope we only hand out contracts with a decent paycut if the worst should happen. I hate the thought of another Micah Richards hanging around on a massive contract... esp with FFP rules.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #337 on: May 28, 2019, 11:28:30 AM »
Mings, El-Ghazi and Hause i'd say are certainties to sign, I reckon we'll get Axel on another season loan, Abraham I think will stsy at Chelsea for the coming season, reckon Lolley will end up here but other than that ive got no idea, i presume we had 2 seperate lists of potential signings dependant on yesterdays result. Exciting summer ahead.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #338 on: May 28, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »
Sky are linking us with a move for Kalvin Phillips at Leeds. Good player, man-marked Grealish quite effectively at Elland Road. Would send the Leeds fans into meltdown too!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #339 on: May 28, 2019, 11:29:35 AM »
Why the assumption among some fans that spending loads of money means "we will do a Fulham"? Why not do a Wolves, or even a Man City?

The only guarantee you can make with spending is that if we don't spend big we will be in trouble.

We should be looking to spend serious cash and do so a lot better than Fulham did. Our owners won't be targeting 17th place. Top half is realistic first season aim.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #340 on: May 28, 2019, 11:32:28 AM »
yes but Fulham did spend big and were in trouble. So much so we are watching them go down the elevator.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #341 on: May 28, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »
Why the assumption among some fans that spending loads of money means "we will do a Fulham"? Why not do a Wolves, or even a Man City?

The only guarantee you can make with spending is that if we don't spend big we will be in trouble.

We should be looking to spend serious cash and do so a lot better than Fulham did. Our owners won't be targeting 17th place. Top half is realistic first season aim.

I think my concern stems from the fact that we have a Director of Football who seems to be heavily involved with identifying the transfer targets. You're right - for every horror story of this happening, you can find a success one, but I'd still be a lot more comfortable if I thought that Smith and his team were 100% in charge of identifying the targets. Guilbert and Kalinic strike me as players that have been bought by 'Suso' rather than Smith. They may turn out to be good signings but, as others have pointed out, our team spirit and unity has been a massive factor this season and needs to be of paramount consideration with any players that we bring in. the players that Paddy Riley signed were, by-and-large, very good footballers, but they were square-pegs into round-holes, and it'd be an easy trap to fall into again.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #342 on: May 28, 2019, 11:43:21 AM »
but Mile Jedinak, Micah Richards and Alan Hutton may leave

May?........ MAY?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #343 on: May 28, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »
As for the transfer record, that'll go on a striker, whether Tammy or someone else

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #344 on: May 28, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »
How about Luka Jovic from Eintracht Frankfurt? Only 21 as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal