collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jacob Ramsey  (Read 266522 times)

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
Re: Jacob Ramsey
« Reply #780 on: January 23, 2022, 08:56:45 PM »
Just watching MOTD…why didn’t he have a number on his shirt?
See Barry, G. Penalty.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
« Reply #781 on: January 23, 2022, 08:59:15 PM »
Alternatively, his shirt was ripped off him by an Everton player in a challenge and the  bench team just  whipped the polythene bag off a new shirt and he wore that until half-time.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #782 on: January 23, 2022, 09:03:04 PM »
Alternatively, his shirt was ripped off him by an Everton player in a challenge and the  bench team just  whipped the polythene bag off a new shirt and he wore that until half-time.

They'll probably fine us £50,000 for that now.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
« Reply #783 on: January 23, 2022, 09:06:57 PM »
I saw at least two of our players with ripped shirts. Either Everton are dirty bastards or the 'Elite' shirts are made of shit fabric.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #784 on: January 23, 2022, 09:08:13 PM »
Thought he played a bit deeper yesterday and did well. I love it when he picks the ball up on the run and just powers forward.

Won't be long until he is" Interesting " The Red filth

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #785 on: January 23, 2022, 09:11:05 PM »

They'll probably fine us £50,000 for that now.
Yes, we took football back to dark ages.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #786 on: January 23, 2022, 09:52:46 PM »
New contract please.  Turning into a cracking player.  Was good yesterday, defended much better too.

Offline nigel

« Reply #787 on: January 23, 2022, 10:04:28 PM »

In fairness to the Everton guy he slipped on the pitch side slope and instinctively grabbed JJ’s shirt.
There was a handshake so no animosity

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #788 on: January 23, 2022, 10:21:02 PM »
Thought he played a bit deeper yesterday and did well. I love it when he picks the ball up on the run and just powers forward.

Won't be long until he is" Interesting " The Red filth

Already seen the first "why are we after Mcginn? We should be signing Ramsey" tweet.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #789 on: January 23, 2022, 11:11:31 PM »

In fairness to the Everton guy he slipped on the pitch side slope and instinctively grabbed JJ’s shirt.
There was a handshake so no animosity

The bigger (but still minor) issue was the ref telling him to leave the pitch to change shirt then restarting the game with us a man down. Was only for 30 seconds but could easily have waited given the cirvumstances.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #790 on: January 23, 2022, 11:52:05 PM »
The ref was a complete homer for much of the game though. Richarlison could have 3 bookings under the rules of the game first half and wasn't spoken to, while Doucoure fouled JJ on at least 3 obvious occasions without a thought from the ref to actually give the foul.

Online jwarry

« Reply #791 on: January 29, 2022, 07:33:13 AM »
Nice article in The Times today by Tom Roddy on young Jacob - my fellow Barr Beacon alumni - Jacob that is, not Tom 😁

While credit for the crystallising career of Jacob Ramsey largely belongs to the academy at Aston Villa, those who know the elegant midfielder well recognise the role of a boxing gym, three miles down the road from Villa Park, in his journey.

Ramsey, the graceful 20-year-old who has become a regular in the first team over the past 12 months, arrived at the Pat Benson Boxing Academy in Birmingham, seven years ago, with expectations high before he’d even raised a fist.

It was called Small Heath ABC back then, and Ramsey was a skinny 13-year-old with no experience in the ring. But he had been brought down by his father, a former ABA national champion who, through the 1990s, had been trained by the man whose name hung above the door.

Mark “Razor” Ramsey was trained by Pat Benson and twice went the distance with former world champion Ricky Hatton in a career that exceeded 60 bouts. Ramsey may be the one experiencing fame right now but he’s not the first from the family to perform in front of the Sky Sports cameras.

“Mark understood what boxing did for him and he wanted to make sure those skills and that discipline were instilled in his own lad as well, before signing a big contract with Villa,” Paddy Benson, the grandson of Pat, who now runs the gym, tells The Times.

The purpose was not to follow in his father’s footsteps but, rather, to take the skills and qualities learnt in the ring and apply them to football. Those familiar with Ramsey’s path to the first team now watch him with eyes that recognise how he has benefited from boxing.

“The way he is able to skip past people, really good players, so effortlessly, maintaining control of the ball with balance — that’s what is crucial in boxing,” Benson says. “Lean too far and you’ll end up on the canvas, and I can certainly see that work in Jacob’s play.”

Even those unaware of boxing’s influence refer to similar qualities. “The wonderful thing with JJ is how smooth and effortlessly he moves through the pitch, he can operate in both boxes, offensively and defensively, and is so clean in everything he does — his feet are so quick,” Darren Moore, the Sheffield Wednesday manager who took an 18-year-old Ramsey to Doncaster Rovers on loan in 2020, tells The Times.

Ramsey never boxed competitively. He was occasionally joined at the gym by his younger brother Aaron, also a highly-rated midfield prospect at Villa, currently on loan at Cheltenham Town. Jacob joined at the age of six having been born and raised in Great Barr and attended the Barr Beacon School.

“He was talented at boxing but they decided he wasn’t going to compete competitively,” Benson says. “It was for fitness, an element of strength, and footwork skills. Fast feet and creating angles is so important in boxing — it’s 90 to 95 per cent of the sport.”

Up until the age of 16, when the situation at Villa became more serious, Ramsey would attend the gym two or three times a week after training at Bodymoor Heath. He would thunder his small fists into the heavy bag, jab at pads and skip around the canvas.

“Boxing toughened me up and helped me make the step up each year at a time when a lot of the other players were bigger than me,” Ramsey told the Birmingham Express and Star. “There is no better training for getting your body into shape and, coming up through the academy, it definitely helped me.”

Seven years on, the midfielder has seamlessly slipped into the team at Villa Park, first picked by Dean Smith and now a mainstay under Steven Gerrard, playing alongside the likes of John McGinn and Philippe Coutinho. A fortnight ago, the former Barcelona and Liverpool midfielder Coutinho was thanking Ramsey for his role in setting up the Brazilian’s debut goal.

Ramsey had scored Villa’s opener in a comeback against Manchester United that night, his first at Villa Park, and had won the club’s player of the month for December having shone with a goal at Norwich City. “I don’t want the goal to take away from the fact his performance was so high-level,” Gerrard said that day. “I’ve been aware of him for some time and so far, he has been outstanding.”

Gerrard’s predecessor recognised Ramsey’s true potential during his loan at Doncaster. He had been named academy player of the season in the summer of 2019 and featured for Smith’s senior side in a couple of cup games before being sent to Doncaster, coincidentally the town where his father had fought Hatton 20 years prior.

“I used to watch a lot of the Villa youth set up, had seen him come through and what I knew was that he had a wonderful temperament,” says Moore. “I wanted him in an environment where he could express himself and, my goodness, did he do that.”

Ramsey scored twice on his debut, away to Tranmere Rovers in a 3-0 victory. “From there, he absolutely kicked on,” Moore says.

Richard O’Kelly, assistant coach to Smith, would often make the 200-mile round trip from Birmingham to Doncaster to assess Ramsey’s progress. “He was playing in League One, at 18 [years old] and had all that responsibility on his shoulders but responded so well,” Moore says. “Richard was ringing me up saying, ‘Darren, it’s too easy for him now.’ I said, ‘Don’t be saying that, Rich, because I want him for the second-half of the season’.”

Ramsey returned to Villa Park where he quickly became a regular in the first team by the beginning of 2021 and earned a call-up to England’s U21s. “He’s got that knack, like a David Platt or Frank Lampard, to come late into the box and score goals,” Moore says. “I know he’s young and with England Under-21s, but I see him with the capability of stepping into that fray with England because he’s such an assured character and a wonderful player.”

For now, establishing himself in a Villa side attracting some of Europe’s most high-profile players is the aim. Timing, as Moore says, has been Ramsey’s speciality though. And with the departure of Jack Grealish last summer, a player whose game benefitted from playing Gaelic football as a boy, the vacancy for a local lad able to thrill is quickly being filled. Ramsey is holding his own among the heavyweights.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #792 on: January 29, 2022, 09:16:06 PM »
Nice article, thanks jwarry.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #793 on: January 29, 2022, 09:35:45 PM »
Yes great read but how long before the very same people start linking him with you know who?

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #794 on: January 30, 2022, 01:23:55 AM »
Not aware of a release clause in JJ's contract, so £100m will only serve as a deposit.

He's better off here, learning stuff from Gerrard, rather than being played as an auxillary full-back by the fraud, Guardiola!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal