collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jacob Ramsey  (Read 266547 times)

Offline dekko

Re: Jacob Ramsey
« Reply #465 on: September 12, 2021, 08:27:18 PM »
Ramsey always reminds me of something I heard once about Harry Kane as a youth player:

A lot of youngsters have one or two unique selling points, like they're really quick, or a good dribbler, or good in the air or whatever.  Apparently Kane didn't have any stand-out attributes, so not everyone rated him, but over a couple of seasons and loans he basically got better at everything across the board, until all of a sudden he was one of the best CFs in the league.

I never thought Ramsey was bad last season but I couldn't really see what he was good at.  But this season he seems to have developed a bit all round and now looks a real player.  I'm excited to see more of him (and they say his brother is the more talented one.....)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #466 on: September 12, 2021, 09:21:42 PM »
He looks like he can handle himself as well.  Doesn't mind putting opponents on their arse.  He seems to give us more energy too.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #467 on: September 12, 2021, 09:38:51 PM »
Made a big step up from last season. Been one of our best players so far.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #468 on: September 12, 2021, 09:47:55 PM »
Yes looks like he’s developed a lot.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #469 on: September 12, 2021, 11:44:53 PM »
He was very close to scoring at both the Etihad and Stamford Bridge last season (at Palace too when he was very involved as we dominated the first 20 minutes or so) and he usually look composed on the ball. He is expressing himself more now but I do think last season that there were hints there of what is about to come.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #470 on: September 13, 2021, 12:07:56 AM »
It just highlights how important attitude is. We've had so many kids with talent who, for whatever reason, didn't have the drive to be better. Not that it's all about winning 50/50s with your studs up, but knowing where there's a gap for you and what you need to improve to make an impression on the boss, he's done brilliantly so far. "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." Luckily he also has talent.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #471 on: September 13, 2021, 05:36:16 AM »
Decent first half. Chelsea taking their worst player off at HT improved them in the middle. I wish our manager spotted such things and acted as quick.

Perhaps if our manager had the Uefa Player of the Year to come off the bench he might.

You got it. What a luxury to have.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #472 on: September 13, 2021, 10:29:36 AM »
It must help that the Dad was a boxer. His three sons will have grown-up with discipline and dancers' feet.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #473 on: September 13, 2021, 10:41:29 AM »
It must help that the Dad was a boxer. His three sons will have grown-up with discipline and dancers' feet.

One of the things that is noticeable now is that he's quick and nimble enough to always look like he's got space and time on the ball. That is a really great trait to have in the Premier League.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #474 on: September 13, 2021, 11:22:17 AM »
Smith identified him really early on and had him training with the seniors not long after he became manager. Something I like about Smith is that he really does seem to have an eye for a player and he sees something often a long time before we do. Matt Targett is another example of that. Seemed pretty average at first, give a penalty away in the Sheffield United home game last season and everyone was writing him off and then was brilliant for the rest of the season.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #475 on: September 13, 2021, 07:34:13 PM »
Smith identified him really early on and had him training with the seniors not long after he became manager. Something I like about Smith is that he really does seem to have an eye for a player and he sees something often a long time before we do. Matt Targett is another example of that. Seemed pretty average at first, give a penalty away in the Sheffield United home game last season and everyone was writing him off and then was brilliant for the rest of the season.

He’s very good at the coaching part, most players improve whilst playing for him. 

In fact, I can’t remember a villa manager that consistently improves players like Smith.  I’m too young to remember whether this was a strength of BFR and Little and can’t think of anyone since (mainly because they rarely hang around long enough).. 

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #476 on: September 13, 2021, 07:39:26 PM »
He's certainly put himself ahead of the likes of Sanson, Nakamba and Carney.  Cracking player.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #477 on: September 13, 2021, 07:47:47 PM »
He’s been so been so impressive for us and made himself very hard to leave out. We’re better when he plays.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #478 on: September 13, 2021, 08:31:59 PM »

He’s very good at the coaching part, most players improve whilst playing for him. 

In fact, I can’t remember a villa manager that consistently improves players like Smith.  I’m too young to remember whether this was a strength of BFR and Little and can’t think of anyone since (mainly because they rarely hang around long enough).. 

I agree, most players in the squad have improved since they arrived and as a club we've clearly targeted signing players with the capacity to do so. I think this is the main reason why I get so frustrated with the people who can't wait to slag Smith off, I like what he's trying to do and I want us to succeed doing things this way. I want young players to join us knowing that if they meet their targets we won't be signing 27-28 year olds on huge fees to play in front of them because I think the satisfaction of seeing players like Ramsey and Chuk come through or Watkins step up is much better than flashing a chequebook to pick up the flavour of the month player every window.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #479 on: September 13, 2021, 08:55:54 PM »

I agree, most players in the squad have improved since they arrived and as a club we've clearly targeted signing players with the capacity to do so. I think this is the main reason why I get so frustrated with the people who can't wait to slag Smith off, I like what he's trying to do and I want us to succeed doing things this way. I want young players to join us knowing that if they meet their targets we won't be signing 27-28 year olds on huge fees to play in front of them because I think the satisfaction of seeing players like Ramsey and Chuk come through or Watkins step up is much better than flashing a chequebook to pick up the flavour of the month player every window.

That’s true, most of our signings naturally have room to grow.  Bruce (and even MON) struck me as lazy and even above the day to day grind on the training pitch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal