collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jacob Ramsey  (Read 266513 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Jacob Ramsey
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »
His debut was 23rd Dec 1995, his next game was a start in the borefest home game against Boro 19th March 1996.

In which he came up against his cousin, John Hendrie.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 11:14:23 AM »
And after a quick sending-off wasnt seen again for...(a year or two after?).
Yeah remember it well, it was at QPR, I would say it's a safe bet to say he's the only Villa player to be sent off on his debut.

I think I was there, if it's the game where we won 1-0 with Yorke scoring. I was sitting in their family stand. Might have been a different game though.

No we lost 1-0

Offline stuart445

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 11:17:07 AM »
How did he do when he came on yesterday?

Didn't do great i'd forgotten he was on until the shot,  he's young so give him time.  He shouldn't have come on to be honest at that time we needed to do something different like kodjia on and go 442 but in typical Smith fashion he went like for like.

I don't think with the atmosphere the way it was going yesterday and will probably only get worse as the season goes on putting a young player into that atmosphere will be the best way to go. Maybe next season if things are better (how often have we said that now) then that'll be the best to to ease him into the squad.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 11:21:26 AM »

Didn't do great i'd forgotten he was on until the shot,  he's young so give him time.  He shouldn't have come on to be honest at that time we needed to do something different like kodjia on and go 442 but in typical Smith fashion he went like for like.

I don't think with the atmosphere the way it was going yesterday and will probably only get worse as the season goes on putting a young player into that atmosphere will be the best way to go. Maybe next season if things are better (how often have we said that now) then that'll be the best to to ease him into the squad.

I took it as a good move and either took place because he値l get some sort of involvement at Stoke or to send some sort of message to the shower that sat on our bench and have produced nothing in recent weeks.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 11:28:21 AM »

I took it as a good move and either took place because he値l get some sort of involvement at Stoke or to send some sort of message to the shower that sat on our bench and have produced nothing in recent weeks.

I'm just worried because an angry Holte End is not a nice place to play in front of even if you're an experienced player.  I'm just worried throwing in a 17 year old into that atmosphere will crush him and potentially ruin a player that if delt with the right way could be good.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 12:12:59 PM »

Yes, that was my take on it, Nunkin.

Offline achilles

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
It all depends on the players personality, some thrive on it, some are terrified, but I think he handled the occasion well, tried to do the simple things and not over elaborate. The boy has talent and needs to be encouraged, so playing him in parts away from home would probably be the best for him.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 01:35:11 PM »
Ramsey gave the ball away a couple of times withing his first few minutes. I don't know if that knocked his confidence but most of the time after that he was just as invisible as Hourihane had been.

Hopefully he'll come good but he probably wouldn't be getting a look in if the other top youngsters weren't out on loan

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 01:48:16 PM »
I thought he looked okay. He never hid from the ball which is a good sign.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 02:14:04 PM »

I'm just worried because an angry Holte End is not a nice place to play in front of even if you're an experienced player.  I'm just worried throwing in a 17 year old into that atmosphere will crush him and potentially ruin a player that if delt with the right way could be good.

a angry Holte end would never give undue stick or pressure on a 17 year old coming on and giving his best

You must have been supporting a different club to me over the years

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 02:27:49 PM »
Quite right John.  There really is an epidemic of self-loathing amongst some Villa fans, with lots of them trying to out do each other by stating how awful the other Villa fans are.  How much stick has John McGinn had for example?  Even though he hasn't really been playing very well, people can see that he's busting a gut in every game and so are appreciative of his efforts.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 03:15:56 PM »
We lost 1-0. It was the game we had to bring Spink on to play outfield.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 03:35:42 PM »
As always it depends on which side of the fence you stand on.
I certainly wasn't angry when he started slowly and I felt it showed him that his manager has faith in him.
He probably felt about 10 ft tall this morning.
The problem about the younger players is that what has happened this year with them going out on loan should have happened last year.
They would have gained tremendous experience both good and bad.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
I thought he was anonymous, but this is what Smith should be doing. We're not going up now and we're not going down, so use the time playing potentially usefull kids instead of confirmed deadwood. Would have been great if he'd done the same with the ones on loan as well. Throw them in the deep end and see if they swim - and you can only do that with giving them a extended stab at the first team which with the remains of this season is the idea opportunity. Yes, many of them will disappear back to the youth for a season or for good, but the worst case scenario is we get a useful reserve player or two for next season. Criticsm is part of the game and some of the best players came through a prolonged period of it from their club's support as youth players. Better to deal with at 18 than 22 imo.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2019, 04:19:26 PM »

a angry Holte end would never give undue stick or pressure on a 17 year old coming on and giving his best

You must have been supporting a different club to me over the years

I'm not saying the Holte giving him stick but you can feel the the anger in the crowd.  It'd be natural if he was to sense that anger because who wouldn't The Holte is an intimidating stand when i was on the pitch after the West Brom FA cup game i was stood on the penalty spot looked at the Holte and it's like the upper is right on top of you.  So imagine you're a 17 year old inexperienced player who is witnessing that anger shown to other players it'd only be natural him  to be thinking that's what would happen to him if he made a mistake.

I would also like to Stress i'm not having a go at him i'm just saying bringing him into an atmosphere that is developing might not have a positive impact on his development.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:21:40 PM by stuart445 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal