collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jacob Ramsey  (Read 278109 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Jacob Ramsey
« Reply #1095 on: June 05, 2022, 09:49:25 AM »
Well, we don't know how much time was used up in the debate. If someone made a post on social media to point out, correctly, that "boy" can have negative racial connotations and it may be worth reconsidering the banner, that's hardly a massive waste of time. Certainly far less than most of us waste on here.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1096 on: June 05, 2022, 10:07:59 AM »
It was "starboy" though. A term I was previously unaware of, but seems to mean a very famous young man, or top performer. Looks like it was popularised by The Weeknd, a black Canadian singer of Ethiopian heritage. From a very quick squint on Twitter, it seems to have been applied to thousands of people, both black and white, all over the world. Any attempt to even vaguely equate it to racism is completely ridiculous, and totally unfair on the people who made the banner.

I am completely aware of the racist connotations of a fat, white redneck in the the Deep South calling somebody 'boy' but that doesn't mean that we need to consider every single occasion the word boy is used.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1097 on: June 05, 2022, 10:09:42 AM »
It doesn't look like "star boy" unless you know it's star boy, IMO.

https://projectbsix.bigcartel.com/product/donate-to-star-boy-jj-upper-holte-banner

FWIW I don't think there is any attempt whatsoever by the people who came up with the banner to be racist.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1098 on: June 05, 2022, 10:15:00 AM »
'Boy' has definite racist connotations, but almost entirely in the context of the southern states of the US, which is why a lot of people wouldn't really pick up on it.

In the same way the 'star' boy may be viewed as anti-Semitic? Was 'Uncle Albert' as localism of Uncle Tom? I hope not and doubt it was. Racist scum just aren't that intelligent.

For clarity, I am not expressing any opinion on whether they should or should not have known and don't think for a nanosecond they'd mean anything racist, they seem a decent lot. Just pointing out that it does have a racist connotation in the southern states, it's not totally pulled out of the air.

Offline Rico

« Reply #1099 on: June 05, 2022, 11:25:13 AM »
Imo if they removed the star, and the word "boy" from the banner, it would actually improve the whole appearance of the design.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #1100 on: June 05, 2022, 11:28:14 AM »
I haven’t seen any posts accusing them of racism, only the ones reacting to it.
I don’t know how aggressive people were. There’s certainly nothing wrong with pointing out that the way the banner was put together might not be as flattering as was intended as it could have racial connotations.
However, if people have raged at B6, & the young woman that designed it, as if they are out and out racists, then that is crazy & totally counterproductive.
It does nothing to help because it gives the ‘can’t say anything nowadays’ brigade fuel that they really don’t need, & none of us need them to have.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1101 on: June 05, 2022, 11:39:00 AM »
Imo if they removed the star, and the word "boy" from the banner, it would actually improve the whole appearance of the design.

Agree, but I’d be inclined to leave the star as that’s what he is being referred too.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #1102 on: June 05, 2022, 02:01:23 PM »
Forgetting how he is described, is anyone worried about the amount of time he will be with the international team and then be back for the league season which is starting earlier? I hope he does not have a “fade away” period as the season extends not having had a reasonable rest period.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1103 on: June 05, 2022, 02:43:20 PM »
I haven’t seen any posts accusing them of racism, only the ones reacting to it.
I don’t know how aggressive people were. There’s certainly nothing wrong with pointing out that the way the banner was put together might not be as flattering as was intended as it could have racial connotations.
However, if people have raged at B6, & the young woman that designed it, as if they are out and out racists, then that is crazy & totally counterproductive.
It does nothing to help because it gives the ‘can’t say anything nowadays’ brigade fuel that they really don’t need, & none of us need them to have.

Indeed. And without knowing too much about it, it does seem as though Project B6 have found an excuse to pack their work in.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1104 on: June 07, 2022, 09:47:49 AM »
Forgetting how he is described, is anyone worried about the amount of time he will be with the international team and then be back for the league season which is starting earlier? I hope he does not have a “fade away” period as the season extends not having had a reasonable rest period.
He didn't have a massively heavy load during the season.  He's 21 now and top players need to get used to an extended season.  Hopefully nothing to worry about.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1105 on: June 07, 2022, 01:22:46 PM »
is anyone worried about the amount of time he will be with the international team and then be back for the league season which is starting earlier?

I am always worried when any of our players meet up with the England set up - quite often players get heads turned and then turn into dickheads themselves. I'm sure JJ and his family will keep a level head but i do not like taking the risk - especially with mogadon Mouthgate involved

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1106 on: June 07, 2022, 07:14:21 PM »
dropped by England despite being on the best players last time out.

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #1107 on: June 07, 2022, 07:45:10 PM »
Surely could have thought of something better than Star Boy though. Everyone on Twitter is using this along with 'Generational Talent' and I don't like it.

Disagree everyone is using 'Star Boy' and 'Generational Talent' on Twitter, at least not on my Twitter feed. Only became aware of the terms through this thread.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1108 on: June 08, 2022, 11:12:19 AM »
dropped by England despite being on the best players last time out.

No harm in having some rest if England want to experiment with the other options.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1109 on: June 08, 2022, 11:24:29 AM »
Didn't JLloyd Samuel call himself 'Sweet Boy'..?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal