collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 875763 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #5535 on: September 28, 2022, 10:28:28 AM »
No, I wasn't alleging that Southgate was a racist. Was thinking more of the Leeds fans that single him out whenever we meet, as Dick Edwards mentioned him not being liked by "other clubs' fans" in the post above.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #5536 on: September 28, 2022, 11:38:26 AM »
Well said.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5537 on: September 28, 2022, 11:40:29 AM »
No, I wasn't alleging that Southgate was a racist. Was thinking more of the Leeds fans that single him out whenever we meet, as Dick Edwards mentioned him not being liked by "other clubs' fans" in the post above.

I didn't mean to imply you did, I was really responding to the person above who queried why Mings isn't getting picked for England.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5538 on: September 28, 2022, 12:14:22 PM »

I didn't mean to imply you did, I was really responding to the person above who queried why Mings isn't getting picked for England.

I think the racism thing definitely plays a part, not directly but rather that daft racists like Souness and Mills, who dislike him for his political views, go out of their way to highlight his errors and ignore all the good things he does, fans pick up on it and call him shit and Southgate sees it as an 'easy win' to drop Mings to allow him to keep picking his favourite slabhead.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5539 on: September 28, 2022, 12:15:52 PM »
I never really had much of an opinion of Sterling, though whne he moved to Man City I figured he was a money grabber and was probably influenced by the press. At the last World Cup (or was it Euros?) there was an article on the Player's Tribune that was a real eye opener for me and gave me a really positive view of him as a person. His form as a footballer fluctuates but he's definitely a talent.

Anyway, I think that there's been so much negative press about Mings that it filters through to everyone. I know people, who I know not to be racist, who don't like him but can't really explain why other than that he makes errors.

I reckon he just gets negative press and spin which is hard to turn around. When he makes a mistake it will get magnified whereas he does a lot of great stuff on the pitch too.

I'm proud he's a Villa player, wishbhed get more recognition for the national team and hope he stays.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #5540 on: September 28, 2022, 01:59:26 PM »
I never really had much of an opinion of Sterling, though whne he moved to Man City I figured he was a money grabber and was probably influenced by the press. At the last World Cup (or was it Euros?) there was an article on the Player's Tribune that was a real eye opener for me and gave me a really positive view of him as a person. His form as a footballer fluctuates but he's definitely a talent.

Anyway, I think that there's been so much negative press about Mings that it filters through to everyone. I know people, who I know not to be racist, who don't like him but can't really explain why other than that he makes errors.

I reckon he just gets negative press and spin which is hard to turn around. When he makes a mistake it will get magnified whereas he does a lot of great stuff on the pitch too.

I'm proud he's a Villa player, wishbhed get more recognition for the national team and hope he stays.

The number of fans I've overheard at Villa Park saying he should 'stick to football' tells a story. Again, unintended or otherwise it has and underlying racist sentiment.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5541 on: September 28, 2022, 02:25:57 PM »
Whats the Players Tribune?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5542 on: September 28, 2022, 02:32:43 PM »

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/europe

Some cracking articles on there, direct from the players. Ramsey has one too..

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #5543 on: September 28, 2022, 06:45:18 PM »
It is a rather simple equation. Southgate picks Maguire because he likes him and he occasionally gets a game at Man Ure. You can't tell me Eric bloody Dier is in the top 3 central defenders in the country. It isn't about race. It is about Southgate being fucking useless.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5544 on: September 28, 2022, 06:57:38 PM »
Quote from: postmatch after shipping three at home
"I have to accept there's going to be a huge amount of noise, there has been, around individual and team selections, but if I'm going to be wishy-washy, change my mind, and not give us the best chance of winning, then it's pointless me doing it."

He's already picked his team for Iran, I tells ya, and it features Maguire. That quote's from Sky, it's quite revealing of his mindset https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12705992/gareth-southgate-defiant-on-his-selection-of-defenders-despite-more-harry-maguire-woes-for-england

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5545 on: September 28, 2022, 07:10:11 PM »
Quote from: postmatch after shipping three at home
"I have to accept there's going to be a huge amount of noise, there has been, around individual and team selections, but if I'm going to be wishy-washy, change my mind, and not give us the best chance of winning, then it's pointless me doing it."

He's already picked his team for Iran, I tells ya, and it features Maguire. That quote's from Sky, it's quite revealing of his mindset https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12705992/gareth-southgate-defiant-on-his-selection-of-defenders-despite-more-harry-maguire-woes-for-england

Yep, like I say, he's both petty and stubborn. Together with little talent, it's not a great combination.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #5546 on: September 28, 2022, 07:41:18 PM »

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/europe

Some cracking articles on there, direct from the players. Ramsey has one too..

Sorry for going off topic but thanks for the link. Ramsey's article was great you've got to love him even more after reading that.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #5547 on: September 28, 2022, 10:02:12 PM »
He's hated by racists. They can tolerate Black players because they have to, but Black players who actually speak about racism are a bridge too far. See also Colin Kaepernick.

Exactly.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #5548 on: September 29, 2022, 08:10:56 PM »
Tyrone Mings is an extremely articulative individual who isn't afraid to speak his mind.

It flies in the face of the Danny Mills of this world, who think that footballers are actually a bit dim

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #5549 on: September 30, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »

This is 100% how I feel too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal