collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 364051 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: VAR
« Reply #3495 on: May 18, 2024, 10:18:46 AM »
Yep. He just talks sense.

I hate VAR in its current guise. We need to change the way it's used and not have referees looking after their mates.
Unai just said it was completely fair. You appear not to think that at all, so how is what he's saying 'sense'?
Blinded by love?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3496 on: May 18, 2024, 11:06:40 AM »
More or less always right is the key phrase there. Managers absolutely know that the Sky Clubs would get more bullshit their way without VAR, and don't want to go back to that

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #3497 on: May 18, 2024, 11:14:29 AM »
I hate that it stops the game. If they can come up with something that gives an instant decision, fair enough but otherwise fuck it off.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #3498 on: May 18, 2024, 11:19:31 AM »
I'd get rid of VAR. But that's not going to happen so I've got three ideas for VAR reform:

1. If a VAR review a) takes longer than 30 seconds to decide or b) takes longer than 20 seconds to get the pitch referee to a monitor, the decision reverts to the initial on-field one.
2. Only a body part which is allowed to touch the ball may be called offside.
3. A handball must either be deliberate or (if accidental) an advantage must be gained. If that decision takes longer than 30 seconds; see #1.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #3499 on: May 18, 2024, 11:37:56 AM »
Judging by all the people saying it’s ruining the game and sucking all the joy out of it, I guess football is less popular than ever, right?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #3500 on: May 18, 2024, 11:41:10 AM »
More or less always right is the key phrase there. Managers absolutely know that the Sky Clubs would get more bullshit their way without VAR, and don't want to go back to that

That’s the clincher for me. Give me a machine every day of the week over an egomaniac desperate not to get slated and shelved for the big games by Action Man and Fraudiola.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3501 on: May 18, 2024, 12:01:27 PM »

That’s the clincher for me. Give me a machine every day of the week over an egomaniac desperate not to get slated and shelved for the big games by Action Man and Fraudiola.

This is the thing. Generally when you bring this up with football normies they call you a conspiracist, like you're alleging Juve-style bribery and intimidation. But I don't think it works like that - I think the job of referee self-selects for a higher percentage of power-worshiping types, people who love authority and control for its own sake, which also means people who love to feel close to power, loved by it. They give the big teams the big calls because, deep down, they feel that the order of the universe is just, and this is the best way to get aristocrats to love you.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3502 on: May 18, 2024, 12:07:52 PM »
I'd get rid of VAR. But that's not going to happen so I've got three ideas for VAR reform:

1. If a VAR review a) takes longer than 30 seconds to decide or b) takes longer than 20 seconds to get the pitch referee to a monitor, the decision reverts to the initial on-field one.
2. Only a body part which is allowed to touch the ball may be called offside.
3. A handball must either be deliberate or (if accidental) an advantage must be gained. If that decision takes longer than 30 seconds; see #1.

On point 1, I’d put the limit to 1 minute to ensure people aren’t hurried into the wrong decisions.
Point 2, the new tech covers it. In any case the rule is everything counts, but hands or arms.
Point 3, deliberate is an opinion given by the ref and is rife for corruption. It’s the one area I’d say VAR and ref take as long as required within reason. 2 minutes should be sufficient.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3503 on: May 18, 2024, 12:08:51 PM »
Keep VAR, let's just hear VAR inside the stadium.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #3504 on: May 18, 2024, 01:07:46 PM »
Yes, VAR can stifle immediate goal celebrations for your own team. Everyone agrees this.

But, if the opposition score there is always the hope their goal will be disallowed by VAR.

This never gets mentioned but does compensate to some degree.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #3505 on: May 18, 2024, 01:32:50 PM »
Yes, VAR can stifle immediate goal celebrations for your own team. Everyone agrees this.

But, if the opposition score there is always the hope their goal will be disallowed by VAR.

This never gets mentioned but does compensate to some degree.

And sometimes, you get to double celebrate, lol...

I have no problem with VAR as a concept. In theory, it is an excellent idea.

But then people get involved & they invariably fuck it up to the point of making most hate it.

A few fixes could make the whole situation a lot less painful for fans.

1) Cut out this ridiculous notion of subjectivity. All written rules & regulations should not only be easy for the players to follow, but also for the officials to rule on. When "subjectivity" is brought into the equation, you can forget about consistency. But then this thought should go to any & all decisions on the pitch. Not just for VAR.
2) Scrap the idea of "clear & obvious" as a get-out clause for shit officiating. It should be either right or wrong, as per above.
3) Mic up the officials so that we all know what is going on. I saw one this morning where it was for a ball over the line (no goal line technology in Australia) & it looked clear as day that the ball was over the line. What wasn't clear was that the chap attempting the clearance, had his run impeded by an offside striker, so when this was explained, it made the whole process a lot easier to understand & accept.

Im sure there are many more ideas that I haven't thought of (probably written above me), because Im not that bright, but those three, added to others ideas & the whole VAR process could become a lot less shit...

Offline ez

« Reply #3506 on: May 18, 2024, 01:53:02 PM »
Celebrating a goal only for it to be ruled out did happen before var. Not nearly as much but it can still happen.

Online KRS

« Reply #3507 on: May 18, 2024, 02:06:05 PM »
The “clear and obvious” thing has grated on me since VAR was introduced…it should absolutely be whether a decision is correct or incorrect.

I also disagree with placing time limits on decisions, however they absolutely should not be taking as long as they have been. If it takes a couple of minutes to get a decision correct with the right camera angles then so be it as a correct decision in a couple of minutes is more important than an incorrect decision given in 30 seconds just so we can celebrate a goal or not. A delay is an inevitable consequence of VAR so it doesn’t really matter if it’s 30 seconds or 3 minutes, and I’ll enjoy the game a whole lot more knowing that we’re not 1-0 down because the opposition scored a dodgy goal which is approved within 30 seconds and not correctly checked.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #3508 on: May 18, 2024, 02:14:58 PM »
Each team should have one appeal to VAR if and when they think a mistake has been made or something relevant missed by the officials. If their appeal is wrong that's their loss. If correct they retain their appeal.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #3509 on: May 18, 2024, 02:22:42 PM »
The “clear and obvious” thing has grated on me since VAR was introduced…it should absolutely be whether a decision is correct or incorrect.

I also disagree with placing time limits on decisions, however they absolutely should not be taking as long as they have been. If it takes a couple of minutes to get a decision correct with the right camera angles then so be it as a correct decision in a couple of minutes is more important than an incorrect decision given in 30 seconds just so we can celebrate a goal or not. A delay is an inevitable consequence of VAR so it doesn’t really matter if it’s 30 seconds or 3 minutes, and I’ll enjoy the game a whole lot more knowing that we’re not 1-0 down because the opposition scored a dodgy goal which is approved within 30 seconds and not correctly checked.

I agree, I disagree on the times also, imagine waiting a minute just for them to have not had enough time to get the decision right? I honestly think the new offsides will alleviate most of the time wasted that people hate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal