collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Bad English
[Today at 10:40:33 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:32:05 AM]

Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 10:26:30 AM]

Diego Carlos by tomd2103
[Today at 10:24:33 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 10:24:22 AM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 10:17:02 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by N'ZMAV
[Today at 10:14:46 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by eamonn
[Today at 09:58:22 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 892798 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #5940 on: February 14, 2023, 02:30:50 PM »
Mings doesn't have a right foot, that's my biggest bugbear with him (other than the slack-jawed gum-chewing all game) more than the occasional clanger.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5941 on: February 14, 2023, 02:33:37 PM »
Mings doesn't have a right foot, that's my biggest bugbear with him (other than the slack-jawed gum-chewing all game) more than the occasional clanger.

We've been over this before, but that the case for 99.9% of left footed players full stop.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #5942 on: February 14, 2023, 02:34:26 PM »
I think we're seeing more and more centre backs making mistakes, Stones always has one in him, Maguire, even Vin Dijk. It's the way the game is going these days, the ball flies all over the place, the refs are crap and there are TV cameras everywhere.

I'd like to see how he gets on with Carlos when he's back.

Can't argue with any of that, Drummond.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Tyrone alongside Carlos. Could be an Ugo/Southgate type pairing.

People also forget that the defenders above spend a lot less time "defending" because of the teams they play for.  The more time you spend defending, the more mistakes you'll make over a season.  I would bet that Man City centre-halves do about 50% less defending than we do over the course of a season.

I don't mind mistakes, they all make them, it just feels like Tyrone's bigger mistakes always seem to be punished with a goal or a very good chance.  As above, let's see how he plays for half a dozen games with a fit Carlos playing the Emery-way.

Whatever happens, if we are going out to get a replacement, who is guaranteed to be better, then it's going to cost a fortune.

Excellent points all round Smithy.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #5943 on: February 14, 2023, 04:29:30 PM »
I'd like to see us bring someone in during the summer and offload Chambers (who was good last season but dropped off badly this). We need to improve the overall standard of the squad so that's something i think we should do. It doesn't necessarily have to cost a fortune if we're shrewd. McGrath was relatively cheap at the time, Ugo was virtually free, Teale was a good price at the time, even Southgate wasn't over the top. Bargains can still be found these days if the scouts are doing their job and the manager has a good eye. We need someone that is better than anything we've got currently ideally and a good but inconsistent Mings and a Carlos coming back from injury can compete to play alongside. I do think Mings has it in him to play regularly in a top half side but he just needs to step it up a bit. Better competition could do that.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5944 on: February 14, 2023, 06:18:38 PM »

We've been over this before, but that the case for 99.9% of left footed players full stop.

Apart from me and a couple of other left-footers on here, obvs.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5945 on: February 14, 2023, 07:26:34 PM »
I'd like to see us bring someone in during the summer and offload Chambers (who was good last season but dropped off badly this). We need to improve the overall standard of the squad so that's something i think we should do. It doesn't necessarily have to cost a fortune if we're shrewd. McGrath was relatively cheap at the time, Ugo was virtually free, Teale was a good price at the time, even Southgate wasn't over the top. Bargains can still be found these days if the scouts are doing their job and the manager has a good eye. We need someone that is better than anything we've got currently ideally and a good but inconsistent Mings and a Carlos coming back from injury can compete to play alongside. I do think Mings has it in him to play regularly in a top half side but he just needs to step it up a bit. Better competition could do that.

I know what you mean, but all those bargains you've mentioned are from 30 years ago. It's not so easy these days.

Unless you're Brighton, obvs.

I'd love us to find bargains, but if we set out with that as our over-riding criteria, we're screwed.

It is an expensive business and we need to be competitive with what we are prepared to spend.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #5946 on: February 14, 2023, 07:57:50 PM »
I'm not sure I agree we've had no bargains, or at least potential ones:

Tim Iroegbunam cost next to nothing from Albion (like Ugo)

Super John McGinn, regardless of his faults, cost peanuts

Boubacar Kamara was free

Feeney keeps being mentioned as one for the future, and cost next to nothing

Martinez cost a fraction of what he's worth now

That's aside from some players who are maybe a bit borderline. Don't want to labour that point too much because I'll definitely manage to pick a few players that folk disagree with ... But I do think there's a group of players like Konsa, Cash, Moreno, Dougie, ... where at market value we'd sell them for more than we paid.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #5947 on: February 14, 2023, 08:01:51 PM »

I know what you mean, but all those bargains you've mentioned are from 30 years ago. It's not so easy these days.

Unless you're Brighton, obvs.

I'd love us to find bargains, but if we set out with that as our over-riding criteria, we're screwed.

It is an expensive business and we need to be competitive with what we are prepared to spend.

Also the game has changed massively and defenders need to be able to play football just as much as read the danger and defend. McGrath obviously could but he was up there with the very best and just a bloody genius. This is what holds Konsa back, he’s not great on the ball. It’s not the same as when we found and Teal or Ugo. I guess they are out there somewhere but it’s definitely a position which has made that purchase so more difficult.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #5948 on: February 14, 2023, 08:45:57 PM »

Apart from me and a couple of other left-footers on here, obvs.
Another one here. The ever reliable "Wand of a left foot" and a more than capable right.

Sadly I'm as mobile as a skip these days. UTV.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #5949 on: February 16, 2023, 02:04:49 PM »
Villa have won just one of the 12 league games Mings hasn’t started since signing on a permanent deal from Bournemouth. That was a 1-0 victory over Norwich in December 2019. This means we have failed to win any of our last 9 Premier League games without the England international in the starting line-up.

PL games Mings hasn't started for Villa
Sheffield United December 2019 Lost 0-2
Southampton December 2019 Lost 1-3
Norwich December 2019 Won 1-0
Watford December 2019 Lost 0-3
Tottenham February 2020 Lost 2-3
Chelsea December 2020 Drew 1-1
Crystal Palace May 2021 Lost 2-3
Brentford August 2021 Drew 1-1
Brentford January 2022 Lost 1-2
Bournemouth August 2022 Lost 0-2
West Ham August 2022 Lost 0-1
Manchester City February 2023 Lost 1-3

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #5950 on: February 16, 2023, 02:48:34 PM »
Villa have won just one of the 12 league games Mings hasn’t started since signing on a permanent deal from Bournemouth. That was a 1-0 victory over Norwich in December 2019. This means we have failed to win any of our last 9 Premier League games without the England international in the starting line-up.

PL games Mings hasn't started for Villa
Sheffield United December 2019 Lost 0-2
Southampton December 2019 Lost 1-3
Norwich December 2019 Won 1-0
Watford December 2019 Lost 0-3
Tottenham February 2020 Lost 2-3
Chelsea December 2020 Drew 1-1
Crystal Palace May 2021 Lost 2-3
Brentford August 2021 Drew 1-1
Brentford January 2022 Lost 1-2
Bournemouth August 2022 Lost 0-2
West Ham August 2022 Lost 0-1
Manchester City February 2023 Lost 1-3

And yet, his inability to control a football, or stay on his feet, or pass it to a team mate five yards away, while being pressed by the opposition has probably cost us more than all of those games combined.

He has all the physical ability one would want in a central defender & more.

But then we have his brain...

...which is why he plays for us & not Real Madrid.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5951 on: February 16, 2023, 02:52:45 PM »
The above figures just show that we haven't build a suitably good squad yet, despite being back in the Premier League for four seasons now. Mings is a decent Premier League defender, but even with him we're a lower mid table team at best. The fact that our form collapses without him says more about the quality of the squad than it does about his abilities.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #5952 on: February 16, 2023, 02:58:26 PM »
The above figures just show that we haven't build a suitably good squad yet, despite being back in the Premier League for four seasons now. Mings is a decent Premier League defender, but even with him we're a lower mid table team at best. The fact that our form collapses without him says more about the quality of the squad than it does about his abilities.

Absolutely.

We need a complete overhaul of the scouting network. Along with whoever is in charge if all transfers, in & out.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #5953 on: February 16, 2023, 02:58:50 PM »
I think we're seeing more and more centre backs making mistakes, Stones always has one in him, Maguire, even Vin Dijk. It's the way the game is going these days, the ball flies all over the place, the refs are crap and there are TV cameras everywhere.

I'd like to see how he gets on with Carlos when he's back.

Can't argue with any of that, Drummond.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Tyrone alongside Carlos. Could be an Ugo/Southgate type pairing.

People also forget that the defenders above spend a lot less time "defending" because of the teams they play for.  The more time you spend defending, the more mistakes you'll make over a season.  I would bet that Man City centre-halves do about 50% less defending than we do over the course of a season.

I don't mind mistakes, they all make them, it just feels like Tyrone's bigger mistakes always seem to be punished with a goal or a very good chance.  As above, let's see how he plays for half a dozen games with a fit Carlos playing the Emery-way.

Whatever happens, if we are going out to get a replacement, who is guaranteed to be better, then it's going to cost a fortune.

Exactly that.

There has also never been more access to video access than now, so supporters micro-analyse each goal (or each chance) to within an inch of its life.   Whisper it, but even McGrath could've done better on a few goals we conceded between 89-97. The forums (if that was a thing back then) would have been lighting up a few times in 91 and at various stages in 94 and 95 saying he wasn't up to it any more.

An oft heard phrase for him and a few others is 'not good enough for where we want to go.' I then look around and see the likes of Dier, Maguire (until this season) Stones, Dan Burn etc all playing for top 4 challenging clubs.

McGinn and Cash might need to take more of a backseat role in the not-too-distant. Mings is plenty good enough for a top 6-7 aspiring side.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5954 on: February 16, 2023, 03:06:44 PM »
Mings is plenty good enough for a top 6-7 aspiring side.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but mine is he's miles off. He's been the mainstay of a defence that hasn't been good enough for the top half, and isn't likely to be again once again this season. You can make a similar case for just about every player in the squad being good enough for the top 6 to 7, but apart from one or two possible exceptions of which Mings isn't one, they're just not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal