collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 24/25 by Des Little
[Today at 10:36:51 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Des Little
[Today at 10:33:52 PM]

Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 10:31:44 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Des Little
[Today at 10:29:00 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 10:25:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 09:27:43 PM]

Tennis 2024 by Monty
[Today at 09:25:59 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:43:53 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kits 24/25 by Des Little
[Today at 10:36:51 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Des Little
[Today at 10:33:52 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 10:31:44 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Des Little
[Today at 10:29:00 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by dalians umbrella
[Today at 10:26:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 10:25:45 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:24:28 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by dalians umbrella
[Today at 10:23:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 918006 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #5955 on: February 16, 2023, 04:12:03 PM »
I'd like to see us bring someone in during the summer and offload Chambers (who was good last season but dropped off badly this). We need to improve the overall standard of the squad so that's something i think we should do. It doesn't necessarily have to cost a fortune if we're shrewd. McGrath was relatively cheap at the time, Ugo was virtually free, Teale was a good price at the time, even Southgate wasn't over the top. Bargains can still be found these days if the scouts are doing their job and the manager has a good eye. We need someone that is better than anything we've got currently ideally and a good but inconsistent Mings and a Carlos coming back from injury can compete to play alongside. I do think Mings has it in him to play regularly in a top half side but he just needs to step it up a bit. Better competition could do that.

I know what you mean, but all those bargains you've mentioned are from 30 years ago. It's not so easy these days.

Unless you're Brighton, obvs.

I'd love us to find bargains, but if we set out with that as our over-riding criteria, we're screwed.

It is an expensive business and we need to be competitive with what we are prepared to spend.

It is trickier these days but still possible. It just that other clubs seem to do it a lot more than we do. Either way, even if we have to spend a bit we do need someone better in there, and if Mings finds the form and consistency to form the very good partnership with him then great. Not ruling out Carlos by the way, but he has had a bad injury. You never know, Mings and Carlos could end up being great and whoever we bring in sits on the bench but i certainly don't want us going into next season without signing someone to improve the overall standard in that department.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 04:13:56 PM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #5956 on: February 16, 2023, 04:15:29 PM »
Mings is plenty good enough for a top 6-7 aspiring side.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but mine is he's miles off. He's been the mainstay of a defence that hasn't been good enough for the top half, and isn't likely to be again once again this season. You can make a similar case for just about every player in the squad being good enough for the top 6 to 7, but apart from one or two possible exceptions of which Mings isn't one, they're just not.
I disagree.  I think with better players around him he'd look fine in most teams pushing for top 6-7. 

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #5957 on: February 16, 2023, 04:22:05 PM »

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but mine is he's miles off. He's been the mainstay of a defence that hasn't been good enough for the top half, and isn't likely to be again once again this season. You can make a similar case for just about every player in the squad being good enough for the top 6 to 7, but apart from one or two possible exceptions of which Mings isn't one, they're just not.

He's probably good enough to be part of one. He one of a gaggle of English centre-backs (Dier, Stones, Maguire, Gomez etc) who are all pretty good but aren't what you want to build your defence around. And those four aren't miles off being good enough to play for top 6-7 sides, given that they do and have done for ages.

What Mings obviously isn't good enough to be is the undroppable, stand-out player in that position in a top 6-7 side, which is his current status amongst our centre-backs right now. He could potentially be the right partner to whoever our Ruben Dias or Virgil Van Dijk turns out to be. Or he might not be.

Edit: VIRGIL Van Dijk. Not Virgin.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 04:44:54 PM by Dave »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5958 on: February 16, 2023, 04:24:32 PM »

I disagree.  I think with better players around him he'd look fine in most teams pushing for top 6-7.
I agree with Risso, we have 4 or 5 that are top half level, a few who might get there, some at their level and a couple that are as high as they are going to get ever.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #5959 on: February 16, 2023, 04:33:18 PM »

He's probably good enough to be part of one. He one of a gaggle of English centre-backs (Dier, Stones, Maguire, Gomez etc) who are all pretty good but aren't what you want to build your defence around. And those four aren't miles off being good enough to play for top 6-7 sides, given that they do and have done for ages.

What Mings obviously isn't good enough to be is the undroppable, stand-out player in that position in a top 6-7 side, which is his current status amongst our centre-backs right now. He could potentially be the right partner to whoever our Ruben Dias or Virgin Van Dijk turns out to be. Or he might not be.
I agree with Dave.

I also think he's good enough to play for Leicetser, West Ham, Brighton, Wolves and pretty much any other team gunning for 6-7th.  That's not to say he's better than every centre back at those clubs, just that he wouldn't look out of place. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5960 on: February 16, 2023, 04:43:50 PM »
Three of those are fighting to stay up though, not going for 6-7th.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #5961 on: February 16, 2023, 04:49:56 PM »
Three of those are fighting to stay up though, not going for 6-7th.
But they're typical top 6-7 contenders for the last few seasons.  I could have said Brentford & Fulham.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5962 on: February 16, 2023, 05:05:36 PM »
Really good defenders like White and Fofana from clubs on our level have tended to move on to bigger clubs though. I'd put Mings on a par with Coady who went to Everton.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #5963 on: February 16, 2023, 05:49:14 PM »
Villa have won just one of the 12 league games Mings hasn’t started since signing on a permanent deal from Bournemouth. That was a 1-0 victory over Norwich in December 2019. This means we have failed to win any of our last 9 Premier League games without the England international in the starting line-up.

PL games Mings hasn't started for Villa
Sheffield United December 2019 Lost 0-2
Southampton December 2019 Lost 1-3
Norwich December 2019 Won 1-0
Watford December 2019 Lost 0-3
Tottenham February 2020 Lost 2-3
Chelsea December 2020 Drew 1-1
Crystal Palace May 2021 Lost 2-3
Brentford August 2021 Drew 1-1
Brentford January 2022 Lost 1-2
Bournemouth August 2022 Lost 0-2
West Ham August 2022 Lost 0-1
Manchester City February 2023 Lost 1-3

It’s beyond any dispute. I love TM.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #5964 on: February 16, 2023, 06:22:14 PM »
Really good defenders like White and Fofana from clubs on our level have tended to move on to bigger clubs though. I'd put Mings on a par with Coady who went to Everton.

Not sure about Ben White being a really good defender either. All those guys are about the same level. I'm not Mings biggest fan but he has been carrying Konsa for some time and Carlos has it all to prove coming back from serious injury. When he is missing we really know it.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #5965 on: February 17, 2023, 10:30:42 AM »
Iñigo Martínez is out of contract in summer from Bilbao I can see Emery bringing him to the fold to compete with Mings.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #5966 on: February 17, 2023, 10:34:03 AM »
Aston Villa is delighted to announce Tyrone Mings has signed a new contract with the club.

The defender is closing in on 150 appearances in claret and blue having initially joined on loan in 2019.

Mings helped Villa clinch promotion to the Premier League at the end of his first season before signing permanently for the club.

He has gone on to become a mainstay at the heart of defence for Villa and has been capped by England on the international stage.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #5967 on: February 17, 2023, 10:37:04 AM »
Great news!

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5968 on: February 17, 2023, 10:37:14 AM »
Hurrah!

Offline Bully2345