collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by SamTheMouse
[Today at 04:19:28 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs AFC Bournemouth Pre-Match Thread by KevinGage
[Today at 04:11:37 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 04:11:29 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:08:42 PM]

Re: How does Emi Martinez rate alongside other Villa keepers? by BC Villain
[Today at 04:06:48 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:04:48 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by AV84
[Today at 04:04:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 04:02:03 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 887571 times)

Offline garyellis

Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #5790 on: November 14, 2022, 01:11:45 PM »
Mings is a good centre half - world class no, but definitely top half PL material. But more than that he is a leader, never hides and seems like a good guy too. I think a big part of Gerrard's downfall was publically dressing down Mings. He is clearly well respected and admired by the players and doing that to him didn't really help Slippy's reputation in the dressing room.

To add to this, Wolves have binned their dressing room leader and look what has happened to their defence since....
This 110%

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #5791 on: November 18, 2022, 12:11:54 AM »
Tyrone is good enough to be in the England squad, the reason he isn’t is because he speaks his mind and conscious and in Qatar that isn’t something our FA would want

Offline sid1964

« Reply #5792 on: November 18, 2022, 07:16:55 AM »
If the rumours are correct either Tyrone or Konza will be looking for a new club next season

Online simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #5793 on: November 18, 2022, 07:38:29 AM »
Tyrone is good enough to be in the England squad, the reason he isn’t is because he speaks his mind and conscious and in Qatar that isn’t something our FA would want

I'd suggest it's got more to do with Gerrard's term as Villa manager myself. 

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #5794 on: November 18, 2022, 08:26:48 AM »

Probably both - I wouldn't put it past the FA to be thinking along those lines and tell their nodding dog not to pick him.   As has been said many times on this thread, we are a better club and team for having Tyrone Mings and long may that continue.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5795 on: November 18, 2022, 09:09:39 AM »
I am not sure you can ignore some of his performances.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #5796 on: November 18, 2022, 09:20:45 AM »
The thing about Mings for me is that he's never invisible. Some players can disappear in a team and you forget they're playing, but Mings is always putting himself in the action. I'd rather have a player like Mings who makes the odd mistake while trying to lead by example than some of the players we've had who shrink into anonymity.

I love John McGinn, but he's disappeared in a lot of games as captain. We have Mings and Martinez who never shy away, even when they've made a mistake, and are always there trying to lead by example.

As for Mings not being picked for England because he stands up and talks about real issues, I don't believe this is the case. I think back to Yes Minister and the idea that the less you intend to do about something the more you have to talk about it. I think it would suit the FA to have someone like Mings talking about issues that they can point to rather than actually have to do something themselves.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5797 on: November 18, 2022, 09:25:28 AM »

Exactly. Southgate was at Villa v Chelsea, and Mings decided that was the perfect time to set up Mount for Chelsea's first. Obviously he's played much better than that at times this season, but you can't be making a howler like that in front of the England boss and expect to keep your place, when you're not one of his favourites to start with.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #5798 on: November 18, 2022, 09:38:01 AM »

Exactly. Southgate was at Villa v Chelsea, and Mings decided that was the perfect time to set up Mount for Chelsea's first. Obviously he's played much better than that at times this season, but you can't be making a howler like that in front of the England boss and expect to keep your place, when you're not one of his favourites to start with.

Yup. It seems like we basically have Schrödinger's Mings.

Concurrently a liability, a rick waiting to happen who we absolutely need to upgrade on if we want to push on to the European places when discussing his Villa performances but also the best English central defender who only isn't being selected because of his outspokenness. Even though Rashford and Sterling are both in the squad.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5799 on: November 18, 2022, 09:44:47 AM »
Well, unless you're Harry Maguire. In which case you could smash the ball into your own net five times while singing "he's a massive twat... Gareth Southgate" to the tune of Ultravox's "Vienna" and still get picked.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5800 on: November 18, 2022, 09:47:59 AM »
Well, unless you're Harry Maguire. In which case you could smash the ball into your own net five times while singing "he's a massive twat... Gareth Southgate" to the tune of Ultravox's "Vienna" and still get picked.
Southgate would probably join in, he likes his players to express themselves.

Offline nigel

« Reply #5801 on: November 18, 2022, 05:30:45 PM »
If the rumours are correct either Tyrone or Konza will be looking for a new club next season

What rumours?
I’ve seen or heard nothing

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5802 on: November 18, 2022, 07:20:02 PM »
Southgate would probably join in, he likes his players to express themselves.

I did qualify my post with "unless you're one of his [Southgate's] favourites."

I think that Southgate has a bad case of imposter sundrome, and his way to stick it to the critics is by not picking players people want him to eg Grealish at the Euros and continuing to play people people say he shouldn't eg Maguire.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #5803 on: November 18, 2022, 08:57:16 PM »
I think that Southgate has a bad case of imposter sundrome, and his way to stick it to the critics is by not picking players people want him to eg Grealish at the Euros and continuing to play people people say he shouldn't eg Maguire.

I don't really get the Maguire anger. England have got about a dozen semi-decent centre-backs, none of whom would get in the squad of France or Brazil. Picking Maguire isn't choosing him over '90s McGrath or Maldini, it's flipping a coin on him or Conor Coady or Eric Dier for the team, and him or Mings or Guehi for the squad.

And sometimes, the thing that clinches it is "playing really well for you in the past". On his Villa form, Eriksson should have dropped Vassell a long time before he did. But Vassell fitted better in the England system than the Villa one, so he kept getting picked.

If some really promising centre-backs had been brought in a year ago with the plan of making a ten year partnership (I dunno, Tomori and Guehi perhaps) then fine, that should probably have happened.

But it didn't, so we've decided that the guy who was really good in the latter stages of the last two international tournaments is worth sticking with for a bit. It's fine. It's making do with a weak spot in your team in the absence of an obviously better option.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5804 on: November 19, 2022, 02:08:39 AM »
How many bad games has Mings had for England? If that's the main qualification, he should be in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal